Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 475914 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1380 on: February 06, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
Ok, but why a field of "debris" at 800 Km? I wasn't aware of that many satellites and upper stages in that orbit.  Seems like there would be a lot in geostationary or at ~400 Km(or whatever the ISS median is).
Low earth orbit is actually very heavily used. We fly lots of earth observation satellites in polar orbits in that altitude range: earth resources, weather, spy, etc. The Russians also put a lot of stuff there, and because their satellites tended to have short service lives, they replaced them frequently. Besides the usual weather and spy satellites they flew nuclear-powered radars to follow US Navy warships. Radars are subject to the 1/r4 law so you want them in as low an orbit as possible -- and that means short-lived. But after a few of their reactors came down in places like Canada and Australia, the Russians began to separate the nuclear reactors at end of life so they could be moved to higher "disposal" orbits while the main part of the spacecraft decayed.

Problem is, these reactors were cooled by NaK (sodium-potassium alloy, a liquid metal at room temperature) and it often leaked out. So one important category of debris at certain altitudes and inclinations are these droplets of NaK. It has a very low vapor pressure so they won't evaporate any time soon.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #1381 on: February 07, 2016, 06:52:44 AM »
Ok, but why a field of "debris" at 800 Km? I wasn't aware of that many satellites and upper stages in that orbit.  Seems like there would be a lot in geostationary or at ~400 Km(or whatever the ISS median is).
It's a typical altitude for weather and resource survey satellites, including the one the Chinese used for target practice.  There have also been a number of explosions of used upper-stage rockets at that altitude or close above it, also several satellites have suffered battery explosions.  Current practice is to have upper stages burn to depletion after deploying payloads, which should reduce the problem.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #1382 on: February 07, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
Neil has been active at YouTube recently, with this gem posted today;

"The entire world as we currently know it teeters on a spacesuit with sublimator demonstrated in a high vacuum chamber. The consequences of admitting that NASA lied would be too horrendous to Zionism."

Wow. Megalomania rules large with this one.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1383 on: February 07, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

"The entire world as we currently know it teeters on a spacesuit with sublimator demonstrated in a high vacuum chamber. The consequences of admitting that NASA lied would be too horrendous to Zionism."

I would say stupidest maximus
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1384 on: February 07, 2016, 11:47:21 PM »

Hey, I was right!
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #1385 on: February 08, 2016, 01:45:26 AM »
It's a typical altitude for weather and resource survey satellites, including the one the Chinese used for target practice.  There have also been a number of explosions of used upper-stage rockets at that altitude or close above it, also several satellites have suffered battery explosions.  Current practice is to have upper stages burn to depletion after deploying payloads, which should reduce the problem.

It's also too high to be cleared by atmospheric drag.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1386 on: February 08, 2016, 05:19:17 AM »

Or Biggus Dickus!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1387 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:54 AM »

Or Biggus Dickus!
Don't encourage him.
His flow of words is closer to Incontinentia Buttocks.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #1388 on: February 08, 2016, 06:42:24 AM »
Apparently his local newspaper, the Santa Barbara Independent, is "Zionist Controlled "

Make of that what you will ...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1389 on: February 08, 2016, 09:57:35 AM »

The guy's clearly off his crumpet.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #1390 on: February 08, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »
if he was actually willing to discuss it properly

FWIW, I dismissed that possibility once he came up with

Well so far my post has demonstrated to me that NASA space is a religion.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1391 on: February 08, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
Apparently his local newspaper, the Santa Barbara Independent, is "Zionist Controlled "

He's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.....

More realistically he (Neil Baker) was clearly once a well educated engineer with a track record in various high-tech employments. Something then happened, either gradually or quickly that caused him to decline into what we now see. I'd be guessing at to what caused it, but it could be many things. Alcohol/substance abuse, psychological or emotional trauma or a physical problem (tumour? early onset Alzheimers?) are all possibilities. Whatever it was, it did for what appeared to be a successful individual and that I find particularly sad, especially if the root cause was something treatable.
I'm assuming that Tradosasurus was a sock-puppet of Baker? If not, and if his claim to be a degreed engineer is true, then it looks like he has undergone a similar process.

The mind is a terrible thing to lose.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1392 on: February 08, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »
...and truly very fragile. It's all too easy to scorn these people, but I truly pity them. I can't imagine losing my mind like that.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #1393 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:10 AM »

More realistically he (Neil Baker) was clearly once a well educated engineer with a track record in various high-tech employments. Something then happened, either gradually or quickly that caused him to decline into what we now see. I'd be guessing at to what caused it, but it could be many things. Alcohol/substance abuse, psychological or emotional trauma or a physical problem (tumour? early onset Alzheimers?) are all possibilities. Whatever it was, it did for what appeared to be a successful individual and that I find particularly sad, especially if the root cause was something treatable.
I'm assuming that Tradosasurus was a sock-puppet of Baker? If not, and if his claim to be a degreed engineer is true, then it looks like he has undergone a similar process.

I don't think Neil has ever said anything in favor of the flat Earth nonsense.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1394 on: February 09, 2016, 05:18:41 AM »

I don't think Neil has ever said anything in favor of the flat Earth nonsense.

Which Neil are we talking about here?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.