Author Topic: Falcon 9 explosion  (Read 8498 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Falcon 9 explosion
« on: September 01, 2016, 02:18:21 PM »
An unfortunate situation that was not caused by the Falcon 9. Some sort of launch pad anomaly.

@elonmusk
Loss of Falcon vehicle today during propellant fill operation. Originated around upper stage oxygen tank. Cause still unknown. More soon.

Some info here.
https://www.reddit.com/live/xix3m9uqd06g

The mishap

Online bknight

• Neptune
Re: Falcon 9 explosion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
Sickening video for sure, but happily safety precautions prevented loss of life.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
Looks like something happened at the interstage? The side towards the camera blew out?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »
Looked more like the upper part of the second stage to me, near where the venting was pre-explosion.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
Here's a quote and image from FB SpaceX group user Ross Sackett;

"I used a trick we sometimes use to fix the position of a star in an astrophoto(graphy.) While the fireball is burned into the image making it hard to locate the center, the lens flares (probably diffraction spikes) are centered on the brightest part. Make of this what you will."

This centers near an S bend in a large strongback (electrical?) conduit near the level of the common bulkhead in S2. There are other connections to S2 near there.

L2 SpXers sound like they're focussing on something, but will wait for Musk to pull the trigger publicly.

Online bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:56:40 PM »
Here's a quote and image from FB SpaceX group user Ross Sackett;

"I used a trick we sometimes use to fix the position of a star in an astrophoto(graphy.) While the fireball is burned into the image making it hard to locate the center, the lens flares (probably diffraction spikes) are centered on the brightest part. Make of this what you will."

This centers near an S bend in a large strongback (electrical?) conduit near the level of the common bulkhead in S2. There are other connections to S2 near there.

L2 SpXers sound like they're focussing on something, but will wait for Musk to pull the trigger publicly.

That is a unique way to look at something that bright and intense.  Not knowing he geometry of the second stage, it does look like it would be around the LH tankage and/or fill lines
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
At least the payload was a Facebook satellite rather than something noble.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »
That is a unique way to look at something that bright and intense.  Not knowing he geometry of the second stage, it does look like it would be around the LH tankage and/or fill lines

F9 does not use LH2, but kerosene (and LO2)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
An unfortunate situation that was not caused by the Falcon 9. Some sort of launch pad anomaly.

We don't know that, just because it did not happen in flight does not rule out a problem with the rocket, as opposed to the pad or the procedures.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:15:26 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 07:17:53 AM »
At least the payload was a Facebook satellite rather than something noble.
It was owned by Spacecom, an Israeli satellite communications company, who were to lease part of the capacity to Facebook.  Its primary purpose was to replace Amos 2, an aging Spacecom satellite.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Online bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »

F9 does not use LH2, but kerosene (and LO2)

I stand corrected, than you for the information.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »

We don't know that, just because it did not happen in flight does not rule out a problem with the rocket, as opposed to the pad or the procedures.

Yes, you are correct but they seem to think there might have been some sort of hydraulic leak from the strongback RP-1 line resulting in a hydrocarbon aerosol that mixed with the GOX boiloff. The latest info:

"- Yesterday, at SpaceX's Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, an anomaly took place about eight minutes in advance of a scheduled test firing of a Falcon 9 rocket.

- The anomaly on the pad resulted in the loss of the vehicle.

- This was part of a standard pre-launch static fire to demonstrate the health of the vehicle prior to an eventual launch.

- At the time of the loss, the launch vehicle was vertical and in the process of being fueled for the test. At this time, the data indicates the anomaly originated around the upper stage liquid oxygen tank. Per standard operating procedure, all personnel were clear of the pad. There were no injuries.

To identify the root cause of the anomaly, SpaceX began its investigation immediately after the loss, consistent with accident investigation plans prepared for such a contingency. These plans include the preservation of all possible evidence and the assembly of an Accident Investigation Team, with oversight by the Federal Aviation Administration and participation by NASA, the United States Air Force and other industry experts. We are currently in the early process of reviewing approximately 3000 channels of telemetry and video data covering a time period of just 35-55 milliseconds.

As for the Launch Pad itself, our teams are now investigating the status of SLC-40. The pad clearly incurred damage, but the scope has yet to be fully determined. We will share more data as it becomes available."

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 02:29:48 AM »
Scary.  You can see the radiant heat burning the paint off the towers.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Online bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
Scary.  You can see the radiant heat burning the paint off the towers.

The booster that two NASA astronauts might climb on top of in two years—or less—has just suffered two failures in 15 months.

I suspect that the two failures although somewhat troubling have nothing to do with each other.  The investigation may/may not prove that suspicion.
Eugene Cernan