Author Topic: Jellyfish beauty  (Read 5912 times)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Jellyfish beauty
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:48:31 AM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:51:41 AM by LionKing »
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Re: Jellyfish beauty
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 05:58:54 AM »
Now for crabs that you will Never believe exist..I am still in shock and awe
(has four pages)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/artour_a/sets/72157619715477653/

NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:59:48 AM »
How many are edible?

My personal favorite is Callinectes sapidus. You can probably tell from that where I was raised.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
How many are edible?

My personal favorite is Callinectes sapidus. You can probably tell from that where I was raised.

I saw a simialr one here with the same body and finned back legs..so I guess somewhere in the mediterranean??

I don't know how many ar edible but I was thinknig that we should let these beautiful creatures survive rathr than killign them for a little portion of meat each can provide. add to that the cruel way they are killed for us to eat them.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »
Well, I believe C. sapidus has been transplanted to the Mediterranean where it has actually become important.

But that's not where it's most famous, practically the city's mascot: Baltimore, Maryland. Come to think of it, it is the official state crustacean of the state of Maryland.

Blue crabs have been overfished, but aside from conservation I have absolutely no moral qualms about cooking and eating them. You really should try one.

Eating crabs directly from the shell takes some skill and practice and is very messy, so I'd recommend starting with a good crab cake. It must be Baltimore style, though; what passes for a "crab cake" out here on the West Coast is essentially compressed sawdust.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:40:03 AM by ka9q »

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »
Well, I believe C. sapidus has been transplanted to the Mediterranean where it has actually become important.

But that's not where it's most famous, practically the city's mascot: Baltimore, Maryland.

I saw it dead on the sea shore, but it still might not be the exact same species. I will see if I still have the pics of it when I get back home.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »

But that's not where it's most famous, practically the city's mascot: Baltimore, Maryland. Come to think of it, it is the official state crustacean of the state of Maryland.

Blue crabs have been overfished, but aside from conservation I have absolutely no moral qualms about cooking and eating them. You really should try one.

Eating crabs directly from the shell takes some skill and practice and is very messy, so I'd recommend starting with a good crab cake. It must be Baltimore style, though; what passes for a "crab cake" out here on the West Coast is essentially compressed sawdust.

If I am not mistaken, they cook it alive, which is cruel. Now I have tasted a crab here, and I eat crab salad, but still I disapprove of how they are cooked.

the one I saw , the shell wasn't blue, but in shape it looks similar to the one you persented.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

Eating crabs directly from the shell takes some skill and practice and is very messy,

Half the enjoyment is getting the meat out though! It's not that difficult, to be fair as most of the meat is in the shell. Ripping the top off is normally pretty easy.
Digging the meat out of where the legs attach is a bit of a mess though!

If I am not mistaken, they cook it alive, which is cruel. Now I have tasted a crab here, and I eat crab salad, but still I disapprove of how they are cooked.
Normally, no.
You can easily kill a crab by lifting the apron at the rear and stabbing it through the small opening. If they are bunged in the freezer for 20 or so minutes first, then this does a good job of anaesthetizing them.  Or you can leave them in freshwater for 30 minutes to drown.
Boiling a live crab gives tougher meat I've found. And they tend to detach their claws and legs, which makes things messier.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »
10 edible species http://abcsofanimalworld.blogspot.com/2011/12/10-commercially-significant-and-popular.html

zakalwe thnxfor the info..this soothes it a bit

I used tocatch river crabs by the way, and I wish I had photographed them with their small babies in their bellies..w used to open the belly that might contain eggs or tiny hatchlings.. slightly bigger than a mosquito... very cute
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:11:42 PM »
Half the enjoyment is getting the meat out though! It's not that difficult, to be fair as most of the meat is in the shell. Ripping the top off is normally pretty easy.
Digging the meat out of where the legs attach is a bit of a mess though!
Exactly. My fingers smelled like crab for days after the last time I had one. The only problem was that it kept making me hungry.

I disagree. IMHO the very best way to cook a crab is by steaming, which kills them very quickly. I've heard of someone who lost his qualms about steaming crabs and lobsters when one of them bit him.

Also, the nervous system of a crab is so small and primitive I have a hard time being concerned about it. I guess I'm a mammal-bigot or something.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
Eating crabs directly from the shell takes some skill and practice and is very messy, so I'd recommend starting with a good crab cake.

While travelling on the NW coast I dined many times on crab, and yes, it was messy at first but I got the hang in the end. Seattle has an amazing fish market.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »
Giant Tasmanian Crab http://cubiclebot.com/news/giant-15-pound-crab-caught-off-tasmanian-coast/

OMG, these too exist?!

you can put particularly nice and colorful creatures if you want here..
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »
I disagree. IMHO the very best way to cook a crab is by steaming, which kills them very quickly. I've heard of someone who lost his qualms about steaming crabs and lobsters when one of them bit him.

Also, the nervous system of a crab is so small and primitive I have a hard time being concerned about it. I guess I'm a mammal-bigot or something.

I think that it's been shown that crustaceans feel and react to pain. I can't see any reason to inflict pain on the animal by boiling it alive, especially if there's an easy, quick way of dispatching it before it becomes dinner (stun it by 15 mins in the freezer and quickly killing it by sapping it as previously described).
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »
This is getting rather philosophical. All animals "react" to pain in the sense that they'll try to avoid certain sensations. So will a robot if you program it appropriately. Does that mean they all "experience" pain in the sense that we do?

I'm all in favor of treating animals (including food animals) humanely if they have brains of any significant size, especially if they're capable of exhibiting emotions. That pretty much limits you to mammals and maybe birds, though.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 03:03:57 AM »
Does that mean they all "experience" pain in the sense that we do?

The research would appear to suggest so.
Agreed, it does get a bit philosophical. However it has been shown that these animals react to pain and their response to painful stimuli " goes beyond a straightforward reflex response and it fits all the criteria of pain".

Given that, and the relative ease with which you can avoid this infliction of pain, I can't really see many reasons for doing otherwise, to be honest.

Damn tasty though!  ;D ;D ;D