Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...Redux  (Read 43886 times)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
Re: Introduce Yourself...Redux
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
have been accused of being a "NASA disinformation agent" a few times

:secrethandshake:

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
Charming!

Yes, aren't I? Presumably that's why you married me... :)

Welcome to the funhouse!
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline advancedboy

• Venus
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
Hello, my name is Advancedboy, but you can call me retarded, if that makes you a yota happier. I live in Latvia, town named Kuldiga. I am 25 years old, English is not my native language, as you guessed it already. Since age 12 my interests  have been- US manufacturing( precision manufacturing) ,US economy, aviation, car industry and space. I love nature, talent of people, animals, life itself and beauty in all its exposures.

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
Hey there, advanced.  You do realize that this image looks like you just woke up with a hangover and decided, for some reason, to take a pic to capture the moment, right?  ;)

No offense!  Welcome to the forums!
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

My blog about life, universe, and everything: http://solusl.blogspot.com/

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
Hello, my name is Advancedboy, but you can call me retarded, if that makes you a yota happier.

Why the hostility in your introduction? Doesn't exactly set us up to believe you're here for proper unbiased conversation, does it?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
G'day folks

Peter B here, from the old board. I've been so busy in the last year or so that it's only just now I've had the time to search out this new board and sign up.

I live in Canberra in Australia, not far from the Canberra Deep Space Communications Centre and the old Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station. I'm married, with two sons, and another baby on the way (due in December).

For those keeping score, I was born about a fortnight after the Apollo 1 accident. I remember being interested in space when I was in primary school (the earliest space mission I remember is Apollo-Soyuz), but my interest wasn't really rekindled until I bought Murray and Cox's "Apollo the Race to the Moon" in about 1989. A few years after that I joined the Australian Skeptics, and really started to learn about the hoax theories.

Otherwise, I completed a Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing last year, took a redundancy from work last month, and plan to annotate and publish my great-grandfather's memoirs.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
Glad to have you transition over here, Peter.  I am interested in what you find compelling about your great grandfather's memoir, if you want to tell get into the topic. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
Glad to have you transition over here, Peter.

Thanks! It's good to be here.

I am interested in what you find compelling about your great grandfather's memoir, if you want to tell get into the topic.

Well, if this is the right place to mention it...?

This is the man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Miles

He went to sea at the age of 14 in 1863, literally with only the clothes on his back, but over time became a ship's master, a shipping entrepreneur, a railway engineer, a politician, and a mining engineer. He once had a run-in with a union official who later became an Australian Prime Minister. He provided evidence to help win a court case in which the losing barrister would later become another Australian Prime Minister. He started tin dredging in what is now Phuket in Thailand. And because he improperly influenced a tender process for dredging a harbour, he brought down a government in which he was a Minister. In short, he led a very interesting life.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
That sounds fascinating!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
A worthy subject for a book.  Good luck. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
The stupidity here is as predictable as a bag of M&Ms. The users at Icke post organically grown, free-range, hand dipped gourmet stupidity.
I hear you. The vast majority of hoaxers simply repeat the same old tired cliches about no stars in the lunar sky and no crater under the LM. Most of them actually seem to think we haven't heard it all before. So yeah, it's pretty predictable and dull.

But there are a few interesting and entertaining exceptions such as Youtube user 'hunchbacked' (real name Xavier Pascal). He was here briefly as 'inquisitivemind' until he gave up in frustration at not being able to get any of us closed-minded shills to share in his delusions.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
Speaking of conspiracy theories, I wrote a blog post, rather in-depth, about it, where I compare "monkey governments" vs. "shakespeare government" to explain the differences of philosophy between conspiracy theorists and real history:
I read it. Your idea that events in the real world are driven mainly by random chance and with people who try to do the right thing as they see it despite huge gaps in their knowledge, is not new though your terminology (monkey vs Shakespeare government) probably is.

I've seen essays that attribute the popularity of certain pseudoscientific beliefs and conspiracy theories to the natural human tendency to seek patterns in the world, sometimes finding them even when they don't exist.

This tendency, like most other traits, varies from person to person. A person unusually talented in detecting real patterns might become extraordinarily successful in a field like science, math, criminal investigation or stock trading. For some others, the false positives can be so numerous and insight so lacking as to be a mental illness. Sometimes both can be true, as in the famous case of Dr. John Nash.

But you don't have to be clinically mentally ill to fall for a false belief based on nonexistent patterns because that's a universal part of being human. Our best defense is education: getting people to understand the pitfalls of human perception and intuition and to subject them to the tests and safeguards built into the scientific method. I know that's much easier said than done, especially when they've already become attached to a pet belief.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
Hello, new member here. I'm from Denmark, used to study cell biology and chemistry at Odense University (5 years), now called Southern Denmark University. DNF for personal reasons, short army career (comms), now part owner of a taxi company. I practise martial arts, Brazillian Jiujitsu (blue belt) and Daito-ryu aikijiujitsu (1.dan). I am an instructor at a local gunrange, teaching how to shoot handguns on targets and keeping people safe while they do it.

I've been interested in the Apollo travels from my earliest years, and everytime somebody pops their head up, claiming they were faked, I cannot help myself - I have to set them straight.

Here's a couple of threads in a local newspaper, where my nick is "Alan F" - because "Allan F" was already taken:

http://ekstrabladet.dk/nationen/article1906134.ece

http://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/samfund/article1912931.ece

Also, I'm active in 911-threads, supporting the real world explanation of 19 dedicated, highly intelligent sociopaths, who used terrorism as a political statement. Which backfired, since their leaders are dead or in hiding, their finances mostly frozen, their safe haven in Afghanistan destroyed, and their political and religious standpoint viewed as an affront to all civilized people.

I'm here to get detailed knowledge, I would be hard pressed to dig up myself, like "How much lifesupport was needed in the CM after SM jettison until spashdown?"

Allan F
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »
Hi Allan, nice to "meet" you and welcome to ApolloHoax!
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.