Author Topic: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ  (Read 50037 times)

Offline Selfsim

• Mercury
Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
I notice another CQ/Faq thread has started up: "Have we lost members since upgrade?"
Yet another member appears to be throwing in the towel, and another is acknowledged as 'missing-in-action'.
(It may just be a temporary issue, however ...)
Cheers

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »
I notice another CQ/Faq thread has started up: "Have we lost members since upgrade?"
Yet another member appears to be throwing in the towel, and another is acknowledged as 'missing-in-action'.
(It may just be a temporary issue, however ...)
Cheers

Yeah....looks like Paul Beardsley is gone....haven't seen where Djellison has logged in since the 5th.

As far as the number of posters online is concerned, I think that is an upgrade "glitch". 

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
Is it still working? Tapatalk keeps failing to connect.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

Tapatalk requires that a plugin be installed. They probably just haven't gotten around to re-installing it since the upgrade.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline solfe

• Mercury
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »
I usually say the words "PR Marketroids" with disdain, but all the goofy junk at ...the CQ, they... could serious use some PR and marketing skills. The owners keep changing stuff with little or no explanation of who, what or why. They seem to understand the when and how part, but when they pull trigger on new stuff, the guys on the front line (the day to day mods and admins) don't even seem to know what is happening.

I can appreciate what is being done, why it is done, and I enjoy talking to the people invest time and energy into it to keep it working, but clearly someone does not understand that they have this beast of a board running 24/7/365 for years on end. Even in the apparently reduced state, it has more traction that all of the other social parts of CQ combined.  It is almost like the owners expect it to be exactly like twitter or G+ feed.

Well, I have spoken my peace. I perhaps I will make myself at home here, but I can't see myself abandoning the BAUT just yet.

Solfe

edited between the ...'s for a tiny bit of clarity.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:55:29 PM by solfe »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 07:32:12 AM »

Tapatalk requires that a plugin be installed. They probably just haven't gotten around to re-installing it since the upgrade.

Still not sorted so I can't access the forum. If they carry on at this rate, they'll have no-one left to moderate.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
I think you’re missing the point.
No, Bob, I think that's you.

First up, you keep generalising - I asked you to clarify what 'it' was and WHO was doing 'it', namely going back to BAUT/CQ to post further.  But you only answered the first question...

So, did Dwight or I go back and post?  Have we 'flounced' back?  I can't speak for Dwight, but I don't think he has, and I certainly have not.  (FTR, I've logged in there a couple of times since, but ONLY to clean up PM's - and it now appears my login no longer works anyway - whether they've banned me or from the system changeover, I dunno.. my apologies to anyone over there who may have pm'ed me..)

Given that, Bob, who are you directing your comments at?

I don’t have a problem with complaining per se... I just find it odd that people keep going back
As I said above, please be specific to avoid strawman inferences..

So your solution it to complain in this forum?
? We often discuss other forums here.  If you feel that shouldn't happen, may I suggest you talk to LO? ..rather than complain about it here, if you get my irony..   ;D

Frankly, I think BAUT has lost at least part of its focus and been swallowed by CQ, and you only have to look at the CT and ATM forums there to see the rather strong evidence.  I used to quote BAUT far and wide as a reference.  I no longer do so.  Sure, ATM and CT was never a prime focus of BAUT and their raison d'etre has now drifted elsewhere.  To me that's interesting, a little depressing.. and worthy of some discussion..

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
It seems CQ brings out the worst in people these days. Probably best to just forget about the place, or at least enjoy the old threads.

Offline Selfsim

• Mercury
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
Well, I think I actually agree with Glom ... and extending the original comment made, I think that with the apparent retreat of systemic, (or organised), ATM, CQ/BAUT moderation has found itself without its primary purpose. Moderation now seems to have lowered its tolerance thresholds, in order to maintain its purpose in life .. even to the extent it also appears to now be eating its own kind.
I also think another side-effect might be 'the thrill is gone' syndrome for the expats(??)
This might also strike a note of resonance here, although it would be inappropriate for me to comment on this .. but I am curious about it.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:44 PM »
C'mon, guys...

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:19 AM »
No, Bob, I think that's you.

First up, you keep generalising - I asked you to clarify what 'it' was
and WHO was doing 'it', namely going back to BAUT/CQ to post further.  But you only answered the first question...

I was hoping this thread would be used for constructive discussion, but it looks like you just want to argue. Both sides have the right to express their opinion. You don't have to like what the other person says, but you will remain civil. Any further bickering over this will result in the thread being locked.

I agree with Bob that if people are truly bothered by CQ (or any other forum, including this one) then they have to ability to stop going there without any assistance from the moderators. There is also no need to announce that you're leaving. However, I do understand why people are unhappy with CQ and I believe that by announcing their departure they are hoping to draw attention to the problem, not themselves. If CQ self destructs that is their problem, not mine, but at least they can't say people didn't try to warn them.

What happens at CQ has no relevance to this forum. If discussions about another forum contribute nothing but hostility between the members here then I will just have to declare it off topic. That's something even hot topics like religion and politics haven't managed to accomplish in all the years I've moderated it.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »
The new board software has an ignore capability, which I've always found makes a huge improvement to the quality of any board.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
Hi gang, I've been on BABB/BAUT/CQ since 2006 and although I'll continue participating there (for now) want to broaden my horizons. This forum has some great discussions and, from what I've seen, good mutual respect between members so I look forward to learning a lot and hopefully contributing with some value as well.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
Love your avatar.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
Thanks.  :)
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being