Author Topic: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ  (Read 49995 times)

Offline Selfsim

• Mercury
Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
Hi gang, I've been on BABB/BAUT/CQ since 2006 and although I'll continue participating there (for now) want to broaden my horizons. This forum has some great discussions and, from what I've seen, good mutual respect between members so I look forward to learning a lot and hopefully contributing with some value as well.
Great to see the Luckmeister signing up here, too!
 :)
Whilst CQ may be an entirely separate site, it would seem that what happens there, does actually result in the addition of critical thinkers here(?)

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Whilst CQ may be an entirely separate site, it would seem that what happens there, does actually result in the addition of critical thinkers here(?)

It probably resulted in my being here, but whether that confirms or contradicts your hypothesis, I will let each judge for him/herself.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Great to see the Luckmeister signing up here, too!
 :)

Hi Selfsim. Yes I hope I'm a critical thinker (if not always a deep one). And thanks for the welcome.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline peter eldergill

• Venus
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:52 PM »
I found out about AH from the old BAUT forum for sure, although that was years ago. I don't go to the new CQ at all any more. I just find it not interesting to me anymore, especially since the "merger"

I found the same thing happened to me years ago on another forum, called the Mike Holmes Fan Forum. We had a nice, small community, then Mike Holmes' show hit it big time and got aired in the US. Inevitably, there were posters from all over the US who I didn't know (it's not that they were from the US, it's just that there were so many new ones) and I had no rapport with them, nor no interest to get to know them at all. It's a personality thing I suppose.

Anyhow, I don't bother with CQ anymore. I find that when hoaxters come here it's more interesting, and way more interesting than JREF, which merges every apollohoax into one thread, as if there is only one thing to talk about.

Anyhow, enough for one night. I guess I can complain once a year or so...unless it's about the Toronto Maple Leafs, although they are clearly better than .......

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:48 AM »
Although I can't get on CQ at the moment, I can still keep tabs on things through Universe Today.

Curiosity had Windows Vista issues.

SpaceX successfully bangs spacecraft with wrench.

Landsat reveals how Iraqi troops brought a little bit of home to Kuwait.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2013, 03:33:06 AM »
I found out about AH from the old BAUT forum for sure, although that was years ago. I don't go to the new CQ at all any more. I just find it not interesting to me anymore, especially since the "merger"

I found out about AH from finding Clavius.org, which in turn I found when I was having a debate on another forum about the movie 2001.

[off-topic]
Apollo was happening during my teenage years. In New Zealand, we didn't have any of the early Apollo missions live on TV, so I used to tune my Stewart Warner shortwave radio into the Voice of America for "The Breakfast Show", where there were frequent updates and periods of broadcasting the communications between MC and the Apollo spacecraft.

But the VoA was also responsible for something else... sparking my interest in Jazz music from listening to Willis Conover's "Jazz Hour". The theme from that programme, an instrumental version of Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train" is something that, in my mind, will always be connected with Apollo. Whenever I hear it on the radio, William Anders' Apollo 8 photo of Earthrise over the lunar horizon is the first thing that pops into my head.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »
Whenever I hear it on the radio, William Anders' Apollo 8 photo of Earthrise over the lunar horizon is the first thing that pops into my head.

When I see that photo, I daydream about how I will win the Lunar X-Prize with my RX7 on the Moon.  ;)

"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

A few perhaps. Personally, I'm certainly not "recruiting" posters from there, although if someone asks, I'm more than happy to tell them about this board.

Rather ironic, but I had seriously considered removing my "blue Moon" avatar from CQ because it is my personal property, ie. I took the image, myself. Since the "upgrade" deleted all avatars, I don't have to bother doing that.

I'm certainly not going to re-create my avatar on CQ if I have no intention of ever posting there....the same applies to my signature.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2013, 03:59:58 AM »
I got seriously disapointed by the old BAUT forum over strange and inconsistent moderation, especially from one person.  So I said my goodbyes a couple years ago, despite getting into the kilopi ranks.  Just started here, although I occasionally lurk there still. On principle won't post (only broke that rule once since leaving for an exceptional case), I occasionally have PMed people.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
I got seriously disapointed by the old BAUT forum over strange and inconsistent moderation, especially from one person.

The moderation gets to me sometimes, but nothing like the way the faux-intellectualism of the membership does.

Just buggered off myself.  I've done it before, and come back.  We'll see if this one sticks.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
That place is dead.  I discovered I can use a think called a web bruiser to access the forum.  Not been there for weeks and find only a handful of threads with recent posts.

Though at least Jay turned up to give a most excellent description of a rocket engine startup.  And he used the word "annular" tee hee.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:34:55 PM by Glom »

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
A necessary condition for terminating membership is to initiate it first, and I've found that so incredibly frustrating that I just gave up.  Never received the activation code, even though I tried to register three times, from three different email addresses.  No responses to trouble reports.  I don't know how more than one hundred thousand people managed it.

It may be just as well, I just went there, and it looks like one of the administrators is about to blow.  I don't want to be around for that.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
A necessary condition for terminating membership is to initiate it first, and I've found that so incredibly frustrating that I just gave up.  Never received the activation code, even though I tried to register three times, from three different email addresses.  No responses to trouble reports.  I don't know how more than one hundred thousand people managed it.

It may be just as well, I just went there, and it looks like one of the administrators is about to blow.  I don't want to be around for that.

You missed its prime. It doesn't seem like there's as much life there any more. Just a lot of moderation and moaning about moderation.

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
Re: Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
Just a lot of moderation and moaning about moderation.

I've noticed that the discussion is often more about procedures than about substance.

There certainly are some interesting characters over there.  I guess "interesting" is an accurate word to use here.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
A better reason to call time on your membership than wanting to make a public flounce is to extricate yourself from 10 years worth of posts made by your younger self that are actually rather embarrassing to read now.