Author Topic: Trump will win?  (Read 63430 times)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
Re: Trump will win?
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
And there's already been an anti-abortion executive order.

Yes. And states such as Texas are at work creating state laws restricting or eliminating abortion, so as soon as they feel the court is stacked to overturn Roe v. Wade, they'll be ready to go.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
All I can say is, I hope you didn't enjoy NPR or PBS too much. Or the National Parks Service being allowed to tweet about global warming.

Wyoming is already legislating to prevent power companies sourcing from renewable energy such as wind and solar.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Introduced/SF0071.pdf

This can only be a move designed to protect coal jobs and promote the burning of fossil fuels.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
This is a scary quote from Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing, with respect to whether "secular" people will be respected by the new AG:

Whitehouse replied, with a leading, and perhaps slightly conclusory question: “And a secular person has just as good a claim to understanding the truth as a person who is religious, correct?” At which point Sessions responded, “Well, I’m not sure.” For a few seconds the Senate chamber seemed to go completely silent.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
And there's already been an anti-abortion executive order.

Signed by a misogynist, while observed by several middle aged men. As many commentators have highlighted, how can one man sign away women's rights while witnessed by another 7 men. It's like some terrible fraternity making up a whole bunch of new rules for their club over the next 2 years.

I'm no expert on US politics, do the executive orders have to be ratified by Senate or Congress, and will the Republicans gaining control in the mid-terms put an halt to the man?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
I'm just glad we don't have the culture wars stuff to anywhere near the same degree. When gay marriage was legalised in England and Wales, a few old timers went harumph for a bit then got over it.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
Canadian abortion clinics and doctors who carry out abortions privately might find they have an increase in business soon.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2017, 01:41:21 AM »
Canadian abortion clinics and doctors who carry out abortions privately might find they have an increase in business soon.

You can never ban abortions, you can ban safe abortions. That was the most powerful quote I saw today in response to the goon.

He'll go after gay marriage next. Each day seems to be another erosion of rights for a particular set of people in society. It's like he has a list and he's ticking them off as he goes. Is he really Abe Simpson in disguise running through a grudge list and grinding a different axe each day.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
States hit by the tornadoes recently (red states) have been waiting for Trump to send disaster relief. "We're sure he'll get back to us shortly," the Mississippi governor says.

Meanwhile, no one is nominated to head FEMA. Probably because Trump just knows that they run concentration camps or something. Alex Jones told him so.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
I'm no expert on US politics, do the executive orders have to be ratified by Senate or Congress, and will the Republicans gaining control in the mid-terms put an halt to the man?

Executive orders, in theory, are law as soon as they're signed.  In theory, they're based on the President's pre-existing powers as head of the Executive Branch.  Congress, which is made up of the Senate and the House of Representatives, can overturn them, as could the Supreme Court, as part of the system of checks and balances written into the US Constitution, but Congress is controlled by Republicans already and, while SCOTUS is not, that's because the Republican-led Congress spent over a year refusing to even hold hearings for Obama's nominee to replace Scalia.  So we're sitting at an eight-member SCOTUS that will be nine as soon as someone Trump nominates is confirmed.

Of course, he's promised that his nominee will overturn Roe v. Wade and probably Obergefell v. Hodges.  So that's not going to help.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
All I can say is, I hope you didn't enjoy NPR or PBS too much. Or the National Parks Service being allowed to tweet about global warming.

Wyoming is already legislating to prevent power companies sourcing from renewable energy such as wind and solar.

This can only be a move designed to protect coal jobs and promote the burning of fossil fuels.

Well, seeing as Britain is likely to scrap billions of pounds worth of subsidies for renewable energy including wind and solar, it's probably a prudent move.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4150244/Billions-wind-solar-subsidies-axed.html

Ontario has also tried to make renewable energy work and it's been a disaster:
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/boondoggle-how-ontarios-pursuit-of-renewable-energy-broke-the-provinces-electricity-system

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
As an Ontarian, I don't see how it's prudent to punish people for successfully producing green energy. If Ontario went with a pie in the sky plan that assumed that these sources would just fall into place, it doesn't replace the need that we *must* find non-polluting and renewable sources of energy.

Climate change is not going away, not matter how much we wish it would, and fossil fuels are not renewable.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »

Well, seeing as Britain is likely to scrap billions of pounds worth of subsidies for renewable energy including wind and solar, it's probably a prudent move.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4150244/Billions-wind-solar-subsidies-axed.html

There is a world of difference between making a system compete on an even footing, and legislating against that competing system altogether as is happening with this Wyoming Bill.

What is happening in Wyoming is about protecting coal jobs, and maintaining a system of energy production that is doomed to eventual failure. Coal is a finite resource, wind and solar are infinite for all practical purposes.

IMO, the future of residential power lies with something like this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/green/10377334/Eco-living-the-Leicestershire-home-that-powers-itself.html

... with the purpose of power companies being to provide energy for industry and little else. Even commercial premises can be built to be so energy efficient that they require only a fraction of the externally sourced power requirements they normally would.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »

So...the party which supposedly stands up for the free play of the market is happy to legislatively interfere with the free play of the market.

Just like they're happy to legislatively interfere with the rights of individuals despite being the party which supposedly stands up for the rights of individuals.

Ri-i-i-ight.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org