Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635431 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1035 on: April 03, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »
Ok, now that we have gotten that pesky logarithmic debacle past us

Is that a concession that actually you were wrong and the CraTer graph is actually logarithmic?

Realizing the that detectors 5 & 6 face toward the moon and the other pair have different shielding to represent different parts of body exposure to get a good idea of what whole body GCR exposure would look like to an astronaut, what say we average the the outward facing detectors and plot the dose over time.  Can we make this work?

Those averages are already there. The graph shows the avergaes of detectors 1&2, 3&4 and 5&6. The whole GCR curve still spends a large part of the time under your 0.2mGy.day 'minimum'
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #1036 on: April 03, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »

My confusion arises from the fact, early in the discussion when you insisted the raw data did not have to converted to logarithms.  You said that was not how it worked and I assume then you continued to insist the plot of raw data looked like the plot of logarithmic data and I couldn't understand how that was possible.  I understand now.

Ah, I think I see where your misunderstanding arises. You don't convert the data in order to plot it on a logarithmic graph. All you do is adjust the scale of the axes.

A value of 0.2 is still 0.2 whether you plot it on a linear scale or a logarithmic one. All that differs is that on a linear scale, it will be 20% of the way between the 0 mark and the 1 mark, whereas on a logarithmic scale, it will be (log 2 / log 10) = ~30% of the way between the 0.1 mark and the 1 mark. Get it?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #1037 on: April 03, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
Ah, I think I see where your misunderstanding arises. You don't convert the data in order to plot it on a logarithmic graph. All you do is adjust the scale of the axes.

I said this about 103 pages back, or 1000 on a linear scale. I'm sure I did.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1038 on: April 03, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »

You did.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1039 on: April 03, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
Ok, now that we have gotten that pesky logarithmic debacle past us it is time we addressed the CraTer Data.  Realizing the that detectors 5 & 6 face toward the moon and the other pair have different shielding to represent different parts of body exposure to get a good idea of what whole body GCR exposure would look like to an astronaut, what say we average the the outward facing detectors and plot the dose over time.  Can we make this work?

Which ones are outward facing?
1-4...

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1040 on: April 03, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »

My confusion arises from the fact, early in the discussion when you insisted the raw data did not have to converted to logarithms.  You said that was not how it worked and I assume then you continued to insist the plot of raw data looked like the plot of logarithmic data and I couldn't understand how that was possible.  I understand now.

A value of 0.2 is still 0.2 whether you plot it on a linear scale or a logarithmic one. All that differs is that on a linear scale, it will be 20% of the way between the 0 mark and the 1 mark, whereas on a logarithmic scale, it will be (log 2 / log 10) = ~30% of the way between the 0.1 mark and the 1 mark. Get it?
That would cause the graph to look like a traditional logarithmic graph with logarithmic spacing.  To achieve the CraTer graph with linear spacing you would have to convert the raw data to logs.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1041 on: April 03, 2018, 05:41:21 PM »
The CraTer graph does not have linear spacing. We've been over this. It is a traditional log graph with no conversion of the data. Why are you so insistent that it is not?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:46:17 PM by Jason Thompson »
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1042 on: April 03, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
Ok, now that we have gotten that pesky logarithmic debacle past us it is time we addressed the CraTer Data.  Realizing the that detectors 5 & 6 face toward the moon and the other pair have different shielding to represent different parts of body exposure to get a good idea of what whole body GCR exposure would look like to an astronaut, what say we average the the outward facing detectors and plot the dose over time.  Can we make this work?

1-4...

Here you go... what can you say about the dose data compared to your threshold?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #1043 on: April 03, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
To achieve the CraTer graph with linear spacing you would have to convert the raw data to logs.
The CRaTER graph doesn't have linear spacing. Look at the scale. It is logarithmic!

I thought you had just agreed this?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1044 on: April 03, 2018, 05:48:25 PM »

You did.

Given the donkey work I'm doing with this graph plotting, I've not had a chance to ask you some questions about radiation detection and orbital mechanics. I need time to think through my questions properly, and do a little research. Hope you are well - along with everyone else. I've been absent from the forum about 1 year. Far too busy and a little unwell to be honest - nothing serious!

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #1045 on: April 03, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
Here are the individual detector data. I have drawn a line at the 0.2 mGy/day level.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1046 on: April 03, 2018, 06:04:18 PM »

1-4...

Here you go... what can you say about the dose data compared to your threshold?

Some of those points appear to be approximately .1 which is significantly lower the AVERAGE dose during A11, and for your bonus this was in a period of lower flux.
tim can you see where your interpretation of the data not bear out.

And
Here are the individual detector data. I have drawn a line at the 0.2 mGy/day level.

there are definitely points lower than .1, go figure tim. 

ETA:
And this data occurs in a higher flux than that of Apollo.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:08:40 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1047 on: April 03, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »

What is beautiful about this graph is the consistency in recording the SPEs, but the slight variation in dose. This should highlight to Tim that detectors on board the same vehicle give different values for the dose, so why shouldn't the dose monitoring equipment on board another vehicle give different values.

In respect of this observation I look at the recent figure of 0.24 mGy/day he cited and the Apollo 11 data of 0.22 mGy/day. There is a discrepancy for the lower value in the Apollo dosimetery and the figure he cited from the literature, but the figures are well within tolerances or equipment and sampling errors. There is the issue of using averages too, which have been discussed at length.

This only serves to illustrate the complexity of the problem, which seems quite wasted on our friend with his broad statements of whataboutery.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:13:28 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1048 on: April 03, 2018, 06:09:23 PM »
The CraTer graph does not have linear spacing. We've been over this. It is a traditional log graph with no conversion of the data. Why are you so insistent that it is not?

It is probably because each of the little tick marks are equidistantly spaced and not logarithmically spaced.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1049 on: April 03, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
This should highlight to Tim that detectors on board the same vehicle given different values for the dose...

For detectors placed in different locations on the spacecraft, this is expected when measuring SPE effects.

...the figures are well within tolerances or equipment and sampling errors. There is the issue of using averages too, which ash been discussed at length.

And these are all effects Tim has not eliminated before defaulting to an LEO-mission.

This only serves to illustrate the complexity of the problem, which seems quite wasted on our friend with his broad statements of whataboutery.

The problem is complex.  Tim insists on simplifying it down to his understanding instead of expanding his understanding to encompass the problem.  That's not the "right stuff."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams