Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635847 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1650 on: April 08, 2018, 03:57:01 PM »
I had the chance to explain bases to my nephew back when he was five or six, enough where he grasped the joke about there being "10" kinds of of people in the world (those who understand binary and those who don't.)

That's why computer scientists get Christmas and Halloween confused, as OCT31 = DEC25
I wonder will tim grok that one?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #1651 on: April 08, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
I have banned you for 5 days for trolling and insults like the one quoted above. Improve your attitude or don't bother coming back.

Thanks LO. We've had long discussions on this board about making assumptions regarding CTs mental health/conditions. I know that I was one that had their wrists slapped over it a few times by other members. I think we have pretty much stopped that between ourselves. Slurs about mental state are unacceptable.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1652 on: April 08, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
I wonder will tim grok that one?

I had to google that one.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1653 on: April 08, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »
I had the chance to explain bases to my nephew back when he was five or six, enough where he grasped the joke about there being "10" kinds of of people in the world (those who understand binary and those who don't.)

That's why computer scientists get Christmas and Halloween confused, as OCT31 = DEC25

I've heard that one before, but you know, I still laugh whenever I hear it.

But, oh, my misspent youth...us Liberal Arts folks sometimes have to do things like program patches on music synthesizers, and I miss not the days of calculating checksums in hex.

My nephew really loved the idea of "Carry the G," though.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1654 on: April 08, 2018, 04:00:42 PM »
I have banned you for 5 days for trolling and insults like the one quoted above. Improve your attitude or don't bother coming back.

Thanks LO. We've had long discussions on this board about making assumptions about CTs mental health/conditions. I know that I was one that had their wrists slapped over it a few times by other members. I think we have pretty much stopped that between ourselves. Slurs about mental state are unacceptable.
As the victim, I took no offence. What matters a slur from any drooling idiot? I was more offended by the insults hurled gillianren's direction.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1655 on: April 08, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
My nephew really loved the idea of "Carry the G," though.

That's an hex (heck) of a way of learning it. Puns are rubbish if one uses parentheses to explain the pun. I'll get my coat.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1656 on: April 08, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »
As the victim, I took no offence.

I doubt I would have been offended, but I believe if we can keep our house clean it places us above them morally too.

I had to laugh, as he declared he would ignore me, and did just that. The thing is, he didn't understand that I actually took his ignoring as a compliment.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1657 on: April 08, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
Why am I the only voice of dissention?  What do you guys do when I am not here, stroke each others egos and massage each others sensibilities?  If this was truly a useful site there would be a healthy discourse but all I here is one voice.  What is up with that?

The people who push the hoax theory are aware that they won't find any gullible suckers to con here, so they avoid us. In other words, they're afraid of us and only go where they can spread their lies without any push back.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:23:29 PM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1658 on: April 08, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
Is it so difficult to see that if you plot data on graph paper delineated by 1/10 increments that it cannot be a log graph unless you were graphing log data.  Is that really not obvious?

I have already pointed out that the CraTer axis is not delineated in 1/10th increments. I even put up a picture to show you this. Maybe the 5 days off will give you some time to actually think about this.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1659 on: April 08, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »

...or say the dust is filled with radioactive alpha particles. Who even says that in physics?

It was either you, Zakalwe or nomuse that used that phrase 'words have meanings.' It's really clear that if the claimant cannot access the terminology, then they highly unlikely to proficient in the field.

Sometimes it is a jargon test. Back when I was doing a lot of A2 work when you met a new tech or FOH mixer there'd often be a little dance...he'd toss some jargon, you'd shoot back some jargon, then you'd part satisfied that the other guy or gal knew enough of what they were about to be left to it.

Sure, it's possible someone could memorize a bunch of jargon and convincingly pull a Jarod with it, but I've never found that convinces anyone other than HR. To use the jargon grammatically and idiomatically you need to have grasped the underlying structure.

I try not to be exclusionary, though. Someone can not know the jargon and still have a good idea. What they can't do is skimp on the terminology -- if it isn't correct, it isn't exact, and if it isn't exact, then you have no idea what the person is really thinking.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1660 on: April 08, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
Sure, it's possible someone could memorize a bunch of jargon and convincingly pull a Jarod with it, but I've never found that convinces anyone other than HR. To use the jargon grammatically and idiomatically you need to have grasped the underlying structure.

I agree, and as someone that's taught students you know when they really do not understand the underlying concept of a word. I've seen students use nouns as verbs and try and turn nouns into verbs when writing science. From experience I would say that before once can communicate science, everyone needs to understand the nature of words. If I want to talk to you about the effects of black holes, you need to associate the properties of black holes with the word.

I try not to be exclusionary, though. Someone can not know the jargon and still have a good idea.

Having been at University for 8 years with undergraduate and postgraduate studies, you meet foreign students that do not grasp English fully, but they know their stuff. I worked with a Turkish student, and while he struggled with spoken English, his written work was very good. It took him longer than others to write, but his technical writing was excellent.

What they can't do is skimp on the terminology -- if it isn't correct, it isn't exact, and if it isn't exact, then you have no idea what the person is really thinking.

I feel that is the case here. Reading back through the thread, the lack of understanding the jargon and mathematical concepts showed. There was back peddling, changing the goal posts as he began to understand more, there were even times when you felt he understood the concepts and introduced his understanding to move the goalposts or changed his angle. Never once did he say 'OK, I see that now.' I felt stuck on base 1, on occasions moved to base 2, only to find myself back at base 1.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:21:06 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1661 on: April 08, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
As the victim, I took no offence. What matters a slur from any drooling idiot? I was more offended by the insults hurled gillianren's direction.

I did also take his insults towards Gillianren and others into account. The one directed at you just happened to be the last straw.

I'm sure we've all developed a thick skin by now, or we wouldn't participate in forums like this one. But I want this forum to remain as civil as possible and there is no need for petty insults.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1662 on: April 08, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
Sure, it's possible someone could memorize a bunch of jargon and convincingly pull a Jarod with it, but I've never found that convinces anyone other than HR.

I understood that reference!  I love that show, and I think the problem is that too many people really believe that it's possible to fool people a very small amount of understanding.  That Jarod was special is not something they get.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1663 on: April 08, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »
I've been open about my mental health issues for decades now.  However, my own particular mental illness is if anything correlated with higher intelligence.  I'm used to the insults, and the ones he used aren't even the worst I've heard--they aren't even worse than "hoaxtard," which I cannot even begin to explain how offensive it is.  But I prefer discussion, not just bickering.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1664 on: April 08, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
I've been open about my mental health issues for decades now.  However, my own particular mental illness is if anything correlated with higher intelligence.  I'm used to the insults, and the ones he used aren't even the worst I've heard--they aren't even worse than "hoaxtard," which I cannot even begin to explain how offensive it is.  But I prefer discussion, not just bickering.
Indeed you have and I thank you for it.

However, given that honesty, it makes tims insults worse.