Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635292 times)

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1665 on: April 08, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
I am sure until I brought the subject up, most of you were unaware that moon dust was a health hazard due to it's radioactive alpha particle content.

My bold. So the moon dust contains alpha particle and the alpha particles are radioactive. Words have meanings, and you don't know what they mean.

Holy moly, he did it AGAIN! After all that back and forth last night, he up and does it again! PROVING that he REALLY knows nothing about basic nuclear physics, and thinks that he can bluff his way with a quick Google.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1666 on: April 08, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
Hey guys I have a question about radiation which stems from a discussion I have had with a guy on a Facebook group. He contends that the daily dose of radiation from a LEO mission should be magnitudes lower than the daily disease of any of the Apollo lunar missions. He comments that with the VAN protecting us etc and the fact that radiation outside of this and on the surface of the moon is much higher than it is inside the VAN for LEO missions why are the daily dose inside the LEO missions not much lower than the moon missions
This is all oddly like your trajectory on cosmoquest. And tim's. Odd that.

ETA: Read this. http://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166821-Moon-Landing-Question

and tell me it isn't some playbook.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:58:20 PM by Abaddon »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1667 on: April 08, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »
Yeah, that's another disheartening thing.

Every now and then you run across a hoax believer who seems well-spoken. They give the appearance of sufficient understanding of a subject to advance an argument. You engage in hopes of seeing that argument evolve.

Only to find they never move from their starting point. Eventually you run into their trail somewhere else, and realize that their practiced ease was, indeed, borne of practice. Of long rehearsal. It only looks smooth because they have rambled through it so many times some of the corners have worn off.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1668 on: April 08, 2018, 05:14:00 PM »
Hey guys I have a question about radiation which stems from a discussion I have had with a guy on a Facebook group. He contends that the daily dose of radiation from a LEO mission should be magnitudes lower than the daily disease of any of the Apollo lunar missions. He comments that with the VAN protecting us etc and the fact that radiation outside of this and on the surface of the moon is much higher than it is inside the VAN for LEO missions why are the daily dose inside the LEO missions not much lower than the moon missions

ETA: Read this. http://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166821-Moon-Landing-Question

Oh, dear. Oh, dear. Gillianren, tell me if you are seeing the same thing I'm seeing. Do you also get a sense of someone putting on a style of writing which is not natural to them?

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1669 on: April 08, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
I noticed this a while back. The only conclusions that made sense to me were either a tag team or the smell of socks.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1670 on: April 08, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
Reading thread.

I kinda like "VARB is like a HEPA filter." Just not the way it was intended. It isn't that space outside is very, very dirty. What the VARB is....is a dirty filter.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1671 on: April 08, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
This may or may not have been linked but I read it today and a lot of the language and ideas seem like tim's

http://www.apollophotos.ch/media/6314092c889dd380ffff8266a426365.pdf

I fixed the link.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:59:45 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1672 on: April 08, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »

Oh, dear. Oh, dear. Gillianren, tell me if you are seeing the same thing I'm seeing. Do you also get a sense of someone putting on a style of writing which is not natural to them?

I could write you the script.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1673 on: April 08, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
This may or may not have been linked but I read it today and a lot of the language and ideas seem like tim's

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=1444.1665;last_msg=45127
Dude, your link is messed up.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1674 on: April 08, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »

More oddity. Benparry claims to want to address timfinch but not only fails to do so, simply vanishes while tim posts crap over and over. Ben is suddenly uninterested. Why is that?

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1675 on: April 08, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
I know timfinch has problems reading them, but I did find this graph (figure Number 2) that conclusively shows the lunar surface dose rate for Apollo 11 to be less than 5cGy/year -
http://prediccs.sr.unh.edu/papers/schwadron2011JE003978.pdf

That means less than 50mGy/year and less than 1mGy/week.  This computes to less than .143mGy/day.

So, timfinch, now that you have your requested data, do you concede that your assumptions regarding the dose rates experienced by Apollo 11 were incorrect?
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1676 on: April 08, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »

More oddity. Benparry claims to want to address timfinch but not only fails to do so, simply vanishes while tim posts crap over and over. Ben is suddenly uninterested. Why is that?

For someone who says that he has engaged timfinch on the radiation issue, he has demonstrated even less knowledge of the subject.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1677 on: April 08, 2018, 05:57:30 PM »
Yeah...the pilot fish routine is really obvious when you see it repeated.

Remember Doctor Socks? His increasingly outrageous disguises, as if the size of the mustache could distract from the unconscious habits of speech?

Speaking of...up to post #172 at CosmoWhatever and apparently the submarine has beached.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1678 on: April 08, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=1444.1665;last_msg=45127
Dude, your link is messed up.

You are correct, sorry.  I fixed the link

http://www.apollophotos.ch/media/6314092c889dd380ffff8266a426365.pdf
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1679 on: April 08, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »

Remember Doctor Socks? His increasingly outrageous disguises, as if the size of the mustache could distract from the unconscious habits of speech?

Speaking of...up to post #172 at CosmoWhatever and apparently the submarine has beached.

Remember I called Doctor Socks office?