Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635718 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1680 on: April 08, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
I don't speculate about socks or not.  I do note that at least he's stopped claiming that no one other than the US government was capable of tracking the landings; he just ignores the implications that they could entirely.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1681 on: April 08, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »
This may or may not have been linked but I read it today and a lot of the language and ideas seem like tim's

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=1444.1665;last_msg=45127
Dude, your link is messed up.

You are correct, sorry.  I fixed the link

http://www.apollophotos.ch/media/6314092c889dd380ffff8266a426365.pdf
Gosh, no worries. I bork links at a whim.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1682 on: April 08, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
Yeah...the pilot fish routine is really obvious when you see it repeated.

Remember Doctor Socks? His increasingly outrageous disguises, as if the size of the mustache could distract from the unconscious habits of speech?

Speaking of...up to post #172 at CosmoWhatever and apparently the submarine has beached.

As a late comer to ApolloHoax, didn't he have some names of chess masters?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1683 on: April 08, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
Hey guys I have a question about radiation which stems from a discussion I have had with a guy on a Facebook group. He contends that the daily dose of radiation from a LEO mission should be magnitudes lower than the daily disease of any of the Apollo lunar missions. He comments that with the VAN protecting us etc and the fact that radiation outside of this and on the surface of the moon is much higher than it is inside the VAN for LEO missions why are the daily dose inside the LEO missions not much lower than the moon missions
This is all oddly like your trajectory on cosmoquest. And tim's. Odd that.

ETA: Read this. http://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166821-Moon-Landing-Question

and tell me it isn't some playbook.

Holy mother-forking shirtballs...

That's a damn depressing read. Now I want to know what the hell ben/tim/whatever actually gets out of this.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1684 on: April 08, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
I don't speculate about socks or not.  I do note that at least he's stopped claiming that no one other than the US government was capable of tracking the landings; he just ignores the implications that they could entirely.
Ooo let's see. The Russians maybe? Jodrell bank perhaps? Larry Baysinger mayhap? Anything from foreign nations to random amateurs. But tim won't read that, will he?

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1685 on: April 08, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »

Remember Doctor Socks? His increasingly outrageous disguises, as if the size of the mustache could distract from the unconscious habits of speech?

Speaking of...up to post #172 at CosmoWhatever and apparently the submarine has beached.

Yup. He liked those as aliases. So much he had a fleet of them.

BTW you are three years here, hardly a noob.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1686 on: April 08, 2018, 06:15:09 PM »
I know timfinch has problems reading them, but I did find this graph (figure Number 2) that conclusively shows the lunar surface dose rate for Apollo 11 to be less than 5cGy/year -
http://prediccs.sr.unh.edu/papers/schwadron2011JE003978.pdf

That means less than 50mGy/year and less than 1mGy/week.  This computes to less than .143mGy/day.

So, timfinch, now that you have your requested data, do you concede that your assumptions regarding the dose rates experienced by Apollo 11 were incorrect?

Dang.  5 days before I get a chance to see timfinch's acknowledgement of the error in his initial complaint. 

No one can see it (I hope), but I couldn't even type that and keep a straight face.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1687 on: April 08, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »
Hey guys I have a question about radiation which stems from a discussion I have had with a guy on a Facebook group. He contends that the daily dose of radiation from a LEO mission should be magnitudes lower than the daily disease of any of the Apollo lunar missions. He comments that with the VAN protecting us etc and the fact that radiation outside of this and on the surface of the moon is much higher than it is inside the VAN for LEO missions why are the daily dose inside the LEO missions not much lower than the moon missions

ETA: Read this. http://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166821-Moon-Landing-Question

That's a damn depressing read. Now I want to know what the hell ben/tim/whatever actually gets out of this.
To be fair, I had that in the bag from the outset.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1688 on: April 08, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
I know timfinch has problems reading them, but I did find this graph (figure Number 2) that conclusively shows the lunar surface dose rate for Apollo 11 to be less than 5cGy/year -

That means less than 50mGy/year and less than 1mGy/week.  This computes to less than .143mGy/day.

So, timfinch, now that you have your requested data, do you concede that your assumptions regarding the dose rates experienced by Apollo 11 were incorrect?

Dang.  5 days before I get a chance to see timfinch's acknowledgement of the error in his initial complaint. 

No one can see it (I hope), but I couldn't even type that and keep a straight face.
What persuades you that tim/ben/alien orifice will ever acknowledge any error? He/she/it/housecat came close in this very thread but promptly ran away.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1689 on: April 08, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
I would reply and say how much he reminds me of a particular poster from the past, but that isn't really fair as he is currently barred from response. Better to keep boredom away discussing something else.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1690 on: April 08, 2018, 06:29:56 PM »
I would reply and say how much he reminds me of a particular poster from the past, but that isn't really fair as he is currently barred from response. Better to keep boredom away discussing something else.
Fair does not enter the equation. As evidenced in the cosmoquest thread, tim/ben/housecat is a proponent of Sibrel. That makes tim/ben/housecat/it fair game.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1691 on: April 08, 2018, 06:30:36 PM »

Well yes but socks was like 8 years ago wasn't he?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1692 on: April 08, 2018, 06:31:22 PM »

What persuades you that tim/ben/alien orifice will ever acknowledge any error? He/she/it/housecat came close in this very thread but promptly ran away.

Nothing, hence my laughter while writing that.  I can see where I wasn't clear regarding the reason for my laughter (could have been gloating, having anatomical disturbances, etc.).  I am sure he will attempt some sort of spin or twist, but the data IS there.  And just for further clarity, the line I used for data is described in the reference thus:

"The lens dose behind 0.22 g/cm2 Al is an excellent proxy for the combined dose from the D1-D2 detector [Spence et al., 2010] of the CRaTER instrument.  Calculation of the dose is detailed in Appendix A."
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1693 on: April 08, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »

Well yes but socks was like 8 years ago wasn't he?
Yeah. we are getting old. Look on the bright side Dr. Socks is dead and we are not. (post cynically coloured by latest wingnut)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1694 on: April 08, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »

Wow!
What strange, fragile-ego  people are hoaxies. What sort of weird fantasyland do you have to live in to get your kicks in this way????
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov