Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635908 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1785 on: April 10, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
That was my gut feeling....Tim was looking at a line around 2 and reading it as if it were 5.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1786 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:09 PM »
So my point is, that the lines, that divide the units on the y-axis in the CRaTER "graph" (for short) in smaller increments, are not helpfull. They are meaningless and confusing as the y-axis is logarithmic. So why are they there?

As I tried to get Tim to understand, they are actually not there, at least not as increments on the y-axis. Unfortunately the decision to plot the gridlines as dotted lines has led to confusion. However, if you zoom into the axis you can see that what is actually happening is that the 'minor divisions' on the y-axis are actually just the dotted line from the first point on the x-axis. This is clear when you zoom in, as the major divisions on the y-axis don't align with these dots. Notably the 100 point on the y-axis is between two of the dots. If you zoom in you just can't make the numbers work with those dots as minor divisions on any scale. There are just a few too many.

Attached below are the zoomed axis image I posted earlier and an altered version of the graph with the actual gridlines on it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:27:38 PM by Jason Thompson »
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #1787 on: April 10, 2018, 06:27:14 PM »
That was my gut feeling....Tim was looking at a line around 2 and reading it as if it were 5.

That's exactly what he was doing, and getting 5 x 10-2 cGy day-1, or 0.5 mGr day-1.

Even so, his wrangling over it being an arithmetic graph scaled exponentially was back pedalling of the highest order. When he introduced the idea of taking a log of the data before plotting the data against the log scale, I knew he didn't understand the graph.

I don't think it was obvious to him what the minor lines mean as we focused on trying to get him to understand how the major scales are spaced equally with an increasing order of magnitude. Did anyone, at any time, explain the way in which the minor scales are scaled; or was this futile given his fixation with the presentation of the CRaTER graph? After all, he seemed convinced that the dashed lines were scaling the y-axis linearly.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:31:58 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline theteacher

• Venus
« Reply #1788 on: April 10, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
So my point is, that the lines, that divide the units on the y-axis in the CRaTER "graph" (for short) in smaller increments, are not helpfull. They are meaningless and confusing as the y-axis is logarithmic. So why are they there?

As I tried to get Tim to understand, they are actually not there, at least not as increments on the y-axis.
You are correct and I apologize for not having paid adequate attention to what you wrote in the post you mention, although I remember the picture, which I never bothered to click. On the other hand it justifies, that my employer as of today has granted me free glasses for screen work  8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:48:50 PM by theteacher »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1789 on: April 10, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
And that's just the start of it.

I mean, if you can't even read the graph properly, what's the point of going on from there?

(I still opine that if there's any question about interpreting the graph, then look at the numbers themselves.)

But still... once you get past the graph, you still have to deal with the problem that, as my friend put it, neither of us have a half mil in assets, despite what the median is for the US...the 1% throw those numbers off considerably. And the Crater data is both visibly and mathematically (the SD that Tim listed, err, copied himself) "spikey." One glance at the numbers tells you that it is a relatively low level of activity with short-lived spikes that drive the median up. It's hard to get a signal where the mean and the median are the same, so confuse them at your peril!

And then it is silly to sum up a year (well, particularly a non-representative year) for an activity that got to chose which part of the year. It's like saying you can't wear shorts in Paris because it snows there.

And then this is "radiation" arriving at detectors. A human astronaut is inside a spacecraft. Not only does a human have different quality factors for each potential ionizing threat, each is ameliorated differently. You can't just wave vaguely at bremsstrahlung and thus just add all your particles together, regardless of energies, to get one simplified picture.

But you know what's really funny? After all of that....he comes in within a power of two of what was actually recorded. His error bars are a magnitude above that. Some of us are happy enough with the results of a Fermi Estimation (his favorite song from an American musical? 100 trombones!)

When you do a napkin sketch and it is in the ballpark of the real-world numbers, you pat yourself on the back. You don't run to the highest steps and start shouting "NASA is wrong I just proved it!"

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1790 on: April 10, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »
And then this is "radiation" arriving at detectors. A human astronaut is inside a spacecraft. Not only does a human have different quality factors for each potential ionizing threat, each is ameliorated differently. You can't just wave vaguely at bremsstrahlung and thus just add all your particles together, regardless of energies, to get one simplified picture.

Ahhhh, glad you said that, as I was hoping we would begin discussing that with Tim next. I eluded to this point a few posts ago. I remarked to Ben that using the CRaTER data is dubious at the very least as it will give different readings to the Apollo dosimeters. Not only because the CRaTER detectors are naked in space as you elude to in you post (which is a version of the Muppet's, Pigs in Space), but they are different instruments so there will errors between instruments. That's the problem with measuring stuff, no two methods are the same. Science is a bit pesky like that.

But you know what's really funny? After all of that....he comes in within a power of two of what was actually recorded. His error bars are a magnitude above that. Some of us are happy enough with the results of a Fermi Estimation (his favorite song from an American musical? 100 trombones!)

The CRaTER data are ball park and in some instances well below the recorded Apollo doses, as Jason mentioned in a previous post. In fact I'm glad for the CRaTER data, as this puts to bed the ideas toted by a certain YouTube HB's, namely radiation levels beyond LEO are a raging furnace of death. Again, I'm glad you have drawn this conclusion about the error bars.

When you do a napkin sketch and it is in the ballpark of the real-world numbers, you pat yourself on the back. You don't run to the highest steps and start shouting "NASA is wrong I just proved it!"

I've had similar thought. The CRaTER data are not too dissimilar to the Apollo doses, a far cry from the raging furnace of death some HB's would lead one to believe.

OK, two things. Tim wants to use the CRaTER data to provide a threshold to judge whether NASA has taken part in skullduggery. He's going the wrong way as he will always compare apples with pears when trying to extrapolate data to the actual missions. Second thing, the CRaTER data shows nicely that the radiation outside of the VABs is survivable.

In one sense, Tim has done use a service as we can point to those naysayers that suggest the astronauts received 100s of rem per mission and highlight the CRaTER data dose not show that to be the case. Only in the event of an SPE do the levels spike. Which is precisely the message they have been given all these years.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:10:55 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1791 on: April 10, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
Hmph. Well, Tim ignored both the difference between "high" CREEP and "low" CREEP in his own sources, and the vast difference in activity between active and peaceful sun in mine.

But then, when we left off he was still thinking in terms of long-lived isotopes. Not of, if I understand correctly, a sort of nuclear spalling. Which might include a few isotopes along the way but with half-lives in the femto scale it hardly matters.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1792 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
Would it be correct to say that the ten equally space minor divisions between 100 and 101 would be 10n where n= a decimal fraction of 1

so

100 = 1 (major division)
100.1 = 1.259
100.2 = 1.585
100.3 = 1.995
100.4 = 2.512
100.5 = 3.162
100.6 = 3.981
100.7 = 5.011
100.8 = 6.310
100.9 = 7.943
101 = 10 (major division)

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1793 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
Would it be correct to say that the ten equally space minor divisions between 100 and 101 would be 10n where n= a decimal fraction of 1

so

100 = 1 (major division)
100.1 = 1.259
100.2 = 1.585
100.3 = 1.995
100.4 = 2.512
100.5 = 3.162
100.6 = 3.981
100.7 = 5.011
100.8 = 6.310
100.9 = 7.943

If you are spacing the numbers on the left of your '=' sign equally in actual distance, then yes. But it makes no sense. Now try plotting data on that scale, because the numeric distance between minor scales is not equal. It would be utterly crackers to use that as a scale.

That's why the log scale has minor scales that become closer together, as the minor scale are derived from exponents of x in the function of 10x (not exponential, that's something different), where x are mapped using a log function to represent equal increments between the major scale. The difference between successive values of x are not equal, but the difference between successive values of 10x are equal.

So between 1 and 10 the first minor mark is 2, the next is 3, and so forth.

If you were to label 2 in exponent form it would be 100.30102999566398119521373889472449

3 would be 100.47712125471966243729502790325512.

This then translates to equal distances between the numbers represented by the minor scale. Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:42:49 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1794 on: April 10, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »

so

100 = 1 (major division)
100.1 = 1.259
100.2 = 1.585
100.3 = 1.995
100.4 = 2.512
100.5 = 3.162
100.6 = 3.981
100.7 = 5.011
100.8 = 6.310
100.9 = 7.943

... and I think this hits the nail on the head with Tim. I actually now believe that if you had the number 3.162 in your data, he was saying that would take a log of this to obtain 0.5, and the plot 0.5 against 100.5

This only works if the data matches the numbers on the right of the '=' sign. What happen if you have 8.5?

Log 8.5 = 0.93.

As you can see, by trying to scale exponents arithmetically, so to speak, you can don't have the linear scale that Tim suggests. Yes, the exponents themselves are spaced arithmetically, but when one computes 10x the data does not map linearly to the scale. The only way to scale a graph this way would be to have infinite minor scales so you ensure the scale is bespoke for the data set.

This is explains why he was using the term exponential arithmetic graph. He was saying the exponents are spaced arithmetically.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:50:57 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1795 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
If you are plotting by hand, then yeah...you need a grid a human can work with. If you are using software to plot, then it doesn't need to look at the index lines. It can put the data whatever number of pixels it wants.

In any case, nobody makes a graph that changes shape depending on the scale you look at it. I'd be tempted to say that's the basic nature of a graph; that it is fractal. As in, theoretically (if the plotted data were actually to that many significant figures) you could zoom in infinitely and the curve would still be the same.

If Tim tried to put a sine wave on his weird hybrid graph it would get all bumpy.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1796 on: April 10, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
If Tim tried to put a sine wave on his weird hybrid graph it would get all bumpy.

Ah, that's the word I was looking for. It's a hybrid.

The major scales are based on a log scale, the minor are based on spacing the exponents arithmetically. I mean wow!!

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1797 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
In any case, nobody makes a graph that changes shape depending on the scale you look at it. I'd be tempted to say that's the basic nature of a graph; that it is fractal. As in, theoretically (if the plotted data were actually to that many significant figures) you could zoom in infinitely and the curve would still be the same.

My bold, but I was thinking along these lines. Every time you need to plot a point on Tim's hybrid, you'd need to take a log of the data and zoom in to find a point (ETA: minor scale) that was a solution to value_of_point = 10x.

The only way to scale a graph this way would be to have infinite minor scales so you ensure the scale is bespoke for the data set.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:45:14 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1798 on: April 10, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
This is what working with an exponential arithmetic scale using log data would be like.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1799 on: April 10, 2018, 09:11:09 PM »
This is what working with an exponential arithmetic scale using log data would be like.

Now that is kool. 😀
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan