Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635389 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2055 on: April 14, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »
The ************ really helped a lot.

Looking at your posts, I'm assuming that is was verbal ************?

Is this an attempt at moderation suicide I see before me?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2056 on: April 14, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
We know that the VAB is 37000 miles long

Along the geomagentic equator maybe, but as you have been told and shown repeatedly, the Apollo spacecraft did not take that route (indeed it was virtually impossible for it to do so due to the different inclinations ot the orbit and the geomagentic plane) so why do you think using the full thickness of the belt is valid?
Actually a good question.  I used it because we all know the VAB expansds thousands of miles during Solar max and not having any reference I thought it a fairly conservative estimate.

Jason with regard to this 37000 figure do you know of a 3d picture or chat which shows the 3d path the vehicles took to transverse the edges. I have seen many 2d's but not 3d

Ben here is the video
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2057 on: April 14, 2018, 06:53:50 PM »
I explained this to those that were on time to class already.  The VAB expands during solar maximums by thousands of miles and even a third ring is created.

Ring? Do you mean torus. See the difference between me being able to visualise in 3D and you default to 2D?

There's even a suggestion that the second torus is made of two smaller belts, if I recall the literature correctly. Oh, see what I did there. I referred to literature as I'm a little bit of an expert in this area. You on the other hand didn't even know the outer belts mainly consist of electrons. That is lamentable.

So how did the CM hull perform against the electrons in the outer belt for different energies across the flux? I'll give you an helping hand, you're going to have to perform an integrated flux calculation here.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2058 on: April 14, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
Why concentrate on electrons when the share territory with protons?

... because the Apollo craft followed a trajectory that skirted the outer belts. The main flux in the outer belts are due to electrons. It's a bit like someone firing 1000 paintballs at you, 999 are green and 1 are red. The electrons are the green ones.

Now, how does the shielding perform against the electron flux at the electron energies that are relevant to the problem? You need to perform an integrated flux attenuated against shielding at 8 g cm-2.
I am not the brightest candle in the candelera ( yes I am but I am trying to be modest) but the TLI is an elliptical orbit somewhere around 30% off the equatorial plane or 15% if you are using the lunar plane so realizing this elliptical orbit would be like slicing diagonally through the proverbial donut, just exactly how do you think they "Skirted" the VAB?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2059 on: April 14, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
I explained this to those that were on time to class already.  The VAB expands during solar maximums by thousands of miles and even a third ring is created.  I thought it a conservative estimate to simply use the the stated size of 37000 miles for computation.  If I had access to better data I could accomplish miracles considering my mental acumen is exceptionally great and I stayedd at a Holiday Express once.

Where is there any radiation computations and quit being condescending to me, I don't appreciate it. 

It matters not that you show the VARB expands with solar maximums, Apollo DID NOT TRAVEL the width of the belts, they skirt it, remember the video, remember the 2-D image you posted showing their path?  The craft was outside the VARB after about 2 hours, come to grips with reality not your fantasy land ideas.
Now show your radiation computations.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #2060 on: April 14, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »
We know that the VAB is 37000 miles long

Along the geomagentic equator maybe, but as you have been told and shown repeatedly, the Apollo spacecraft did not take that route (indeed it was virtually impossible for it to do so due to the different inclinations ot the orbit and the geomagentic plane) so why do you think using the full thickness of the belt is valid?
Actually a good question.  I used it because we all know the VAB expansds thousands of miles during Solar max and not having any reference I thought it a fairly conservative estimate.

Jason with regard to this 37000 figure do you know of a 3d picture or chat which shows the 3d path the vehicles took to transverse the edges. I have seen many 2d's but not 3d

Ben here is the video

brill thanks for that

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2061 on: April 14, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »
I am not the brightest candle in the candelera ( yes I am but I am trying to be modest) but the TLI is an elliptical orbit somewhere around 30% off the equatorial plane or 15% if you are using the lunar plane so realizing this elliptical orbit would be like slicing diagonally through the proverbial donut, just exactly how do you think they "Skirted" the VAB?

The point is that the Apollo craft did not pass through the most intense inner proton regions. It passed through the outer belt which is mainly populated electrons, which you have only just found out if I recall.

Now, how did the hull perform against the electrons across the range of energies for different electron fluxes? You cannot cite the unshielded dose.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2062 on: April 14, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
I explained this to those that were on time to class already.  The VAB expands during solar maximums by thousands of miles and even a third ring is created.

Ring? Do you mean torus. See the difference between me being able to visualise in 3D and you default to 2D?

There's even a suggestion that the second torus is made of two smaller belts, if I recall the literature correctly. Oh, see what I did there. I referred to literature as I'm a little bit of an expert in this area. You on the other hand didn't even know the outer belts mainly consist of electrons. That is lamentable.

So how did the CM hull perform against the electrons in the outer belt for different energies across the flux? I'll give you an helping hand, you're going to have to perform an integrated flux calculation here.

Nice catch Luke I completely looked over that part.  I've been attempting to get it across to tim that A11 was out of the second torus by about 2 hours, not the 4.5 he keeps trying to invent, but you know that.
Eugene Cernan

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2063 on: April 14, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »

Allow my little Friend at NASA help you with the math.  They did this for children so I am fully confident that you will have no problems with it.  We can use NASA's figures if you like or your personal ones if it makes you feel any better.  https://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/earth/3Page7.pdf
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:03:43 PM by timfinch »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2064 on: April 14, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
Is anyone keeping score?  It seems like I am winning.  Am I winning?

Umm... is that you, Mr. Trump? You seem to have a skewed interpretation of what it means to be winning.
I am easily confused but didn't Trump win the presidential race?

Yes, you are easily confused. Especially by graphs.

And Trump did not win in the way that matters. He won because the United States has the Electoral College... which is basically like a sports handicap for politicians who can't win otherwise. It's like me beating Michael Jordan at basketball... but only because every ball I get in the net is worth 1000 points while his are worth 1. But that's off topic, so I'll slap myself on the wrist and stop now.
I feel your pain.  I was the same way about George Bush.  I resorted to recreational pharmaceuticals, alcohol and ************.  The ************ really helped a lot.

If you continue making crude comments like that you will be banned.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2065 on: April 14, 2018, 07:03:47 PM »
Allow my little Friend at NASA help you with the math.  They did this for children so I am fully confident that you will have no problems with it.  We can use NASA's figures if you like or your personal ones if it makes you feel any better.

Is this the one you used a CosmoQuest, counting the squares?

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #2066 on: April 14, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »
If I had access to better data I could accomplish miracles considering my mental acumen is exceptionally great and I stayedd at a Holiday Express once.

What you consider mental acumen, has been shown to be more mental "inaccu-meh".  Now, please address the effect of Apollo shielding during its VAB journey. 

I also want you to examine the lens dose behind 0.22 g/cm2 Al  on graph of figure 2 from http://prediccs.sr.unh.edu/papers/schwadron2011JE003978.pdf for the dose expected during the Apollo missions.  And before you make some ignorant complaint about why I chose that dose data, I am including THIS quote from that reference:

"The lens dose behind 0.22 g/cm2 Al is an excellent proxy for the combined dose from the D1-D2 detector [Spence et al., 2010] of the CRaTER instrument.  Calculation of the dose is detailed in Appendix A"
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2067 on: April 14, 2018, 07:08:56 PM »
If you continue making crude comments like that you will be banned.

If need be I apologise for responding to it and my comment above it being verbal. My quote was based on an old Marillion song. In the context of my reply it's another term for describing double speak and the evasion of the point we are seeing here.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #2068 on: April 14, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »

Allow my little Friend at NASA help you with the math.  They did this for children so I am fully confident that you will have no problems with it.  We can use NASA's figures if you like or your personal ones if it makes you feel any better.  https://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/earth/3Page7.pdf

Once again, reading comprehension isn't exactly your forte, is it?  From your latest reference:

"Also, this radiation exposure would be for an astronaut outside the spacecraft during the transit through
the belts. The radiation shielding inside the spacecraft cuts down the 13 Rads/hour exposure so that it is
completely harmless."

So, not only did your reference fail to provide the computational data from the shielding, it made a general statement that completely supports the position that the exposure was of no concern (as mitigated by the shielding and trajectory).
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2069 on: April 14, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
"Also, this radiation exposure would be for an astronaut outside the spacecraft during the transit through the belts. The radiation shielding inside the spacecraft cuts down the 13 Rads/hour exposure so that it is completely harmless."

You entertained opening the document? I take off my hat for your patience. He produced the same source at CosmoQuest and it was received with identical rebuke.

The citing of resources that contradict his point is getting embarrassing for Tim.