Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635797 times)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2835 on: April 22, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
Worse.  Ramtha.  This is one of the points raised in What the Bleep Do We Know? by local (to me) charlatan J. Z. Knight, whose understanding of quantum physics is what you'd expect of someone claiming to channel a 35,000-year-old Lemurian warrior.
Conan the Barbarian??  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2836 on: April 22, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
I always liked the Lemurians. First, because out of the big three (Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria) that one had a better than most reason to invent a giant continent in the first place.

Second is because I can't help of thinking something like the Furlings that SG1's Jack O'Neil was always terrified they'd meet some day...little furry creatures with big eyes and long tails, adorable in their Roman togas holding their Kirby-esque crystal magic staffs in their clawed digits.

Past that, though, don't get me started. It goes far too quickly into some very ugly corners.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2837 on: April 22, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »
Past that, though, don't get me started. It goes far too quickly into some very ugly corners.

Yeah, I could tell a ton of Ramtha stories.  Though the one that always makes me laugh is that the compound has this beautiful wall with copper bands every so many feet to "keep out negative vibrations."  Which apparently only come in through the front, because the rest of the property is surrounded by ordinary chain link.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2838 on: April 22, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »
And while I'm at it, I'm going to own up that the .22/.24 isn't quite the slam dunk I made it out to be. The original figure Tim was cribbing was "1.0 or 0.6" (one in flight, one lunar surface). Tim multiplied the former to get his fabulous ".24 mgy/day." It LOOKS like a spurious assumption of more accuracy than the source allows, but it is still within the same number of digits as the source.

Thing is, that "1.0" could have been rounded from "0.95" or "1.04" -- after multiplying he would get a range from .228 to .250 . I feel safe in assuming the significant digits of his source for the total A11 reading is similar.

The number of digits in his source are insufficient to support his assumption that the ".02 mgy/day" difference between the numbers he arrived at has any significance.

And that's before you bring in such little quibbling bits as the problem doing a straight-line conversion from REM to Gray, which makes the error bars even larger.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2839 on: April 22, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
And while I'm at it, I'm going to own up that the .22/.24 isn't quite the slam dunk I made it out to be. The original figure Tim was cribbing was "1.0 or 0.6" (one in flight, one lunar surface). Tim multiplied the former to get his fabulous ".24 mgy/day." It LOOKS like a spurious assumption of more accuracy than the source allows, but it is still within the same number of digits as the source.

Thing is, that "1.0" could have been rounded from "0.95" or "1.04" -- after multiplying he would get a range from .228 to .250 . I feel safe in assuming the significant digits of his source for the total A11 reading is similar.

The number of digits in his source are insufficient to support his assumption that the ".02 mgy/day" difference between the numbers he arrived at has any significance.

And that's before you bring in such little quibbling bits as the problem doing a straight-line conversion from REM to Gray, which makes the error bars even larger.
It matters not.  Choose the low end or the high end.  Either is definitive proof of a hoax.  There is no room to add the exposure from the VAB transit or for the time spent in lunar orbit and on the lunar surface.  Unless you contend the apollo received no radiation from either then you have no basis for believing the mission dose is indicative of anything but a LEO mission.  Show some intellectual integrity and own up to the deceit.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2840 on: April 22, 2018, 03:10:13 PM »
My example from last night would have been better if I'd used the request we sometimes get of a part that's "2.54mm" long. Unit conversions, so much fun.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2841 on: April 22, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »
I am not your research boy or your pupil.  I have no obligation to demonstrate anything to you.  I have presented evidence of my position and all you can do is question my understanding of said evidence.  You refuse to accept the evidence or provide contradictory evidence to invalidate it.  All your time is spent in futile attempts to deflect or in obsequios displays to your fellow sycophants.  There is not a single one of you deserving of my time.  Think of me when your falsehoods can no longer be sustained by your diversion and your deceit.  You know I will be smiling.  Tim out!  Losers....

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2842 on: April 22, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »
I am not your research boy or your pupil.  I have no obligation to demonstrate anything to you.  I have presented evidence of my position and all you can do is question my understanding of said evidence.  You refuse to accept the evidence or provide contradictory evidence to invalidate it.  All your time is spent in futile attempts to deflect or in obsequios displays to your fellow sycophants.  There is not a single one of you deserving of my time.  Think of me when your falsehoods can no longer be sustained by your diversion and your deceit.  You know I will be smiling.  Tim out!  Losers....

Let the record show that Timfinch has decided to tuck tail and run rather than answer questions. Although to be more accurate, he said he is leaving, but he also created a new user account (which I have rejected). What was that you were saying about "intellectual honesty", Tim?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2843 on: April 22, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
Methinks tim fails on both parts of intellectual and honesty.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2844 on: April 22, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
I am not your research boy or your pupil. I have no obligation to demonstrate anything to you.

except, you kind of are if going to make a claim. Produce the evidence to support your claim, or do one. Seems you chose the latter.

I have presented evidence of my position and all you can do is question my understanding of said evidence.

Because you either misrepresented the evidence or misunderstood it. Sometimes both.

You refuse to accept the evidence or provide contradictory evidence to invalidate it. 

The evidence was accepted, it was your interpretation of it that was rejected and contradictory evidence was supplied to you repeatedly.

All your time is spent in futile attempts to deflect or in obsequios displays to your fellow sycophants. 

The only futility was in trying to educate a troll, and teach it how to spell.

There is not a single one of you deserving of my time. 

Excellent news.

Think of me when your falsehoods can no longer be sustained by your diversion and your deceit.  You know I will be smiling.  Tim out!  Losers....

Gutless coward it is then.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2845 on: April 22, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #2846 on: April 22, 2018, 04:37:56 PM »
Does tim hold the record for most flounces in a single thread?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2847 on: April 22, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
I am not your research boy or your pupil.

Translation: no I won't go and look for anyhting you suggest because I lack the courage and integrity to admit I am wrong.

I have no obligation to demonstrate anything to you.

Wrong. If you make a claim you carry an obligation to show you have understood it and its implications. Despite page after page of waffle you failed to meet this obligation.

I have presented evidence of my position and all you can do is question my understanding of said evidence.

Yeah, that tends to happen when you can't tell the difference between an average and a minimum.

You refuse to accept the evidence

Wrong: we refuse to accept your interpretation of the evidence. See the 'average/minimum/ confusion coment above for on of the many reasons for this.

or provide contradictory evidence to invalidate it.

Wrong. Evidence has been provided, you simply refuse to accept it.

All your time is spent in futile attempts to deflect or in obsequios displays to your fellow sycophants.

There is no deflection when, for example, making a simple card model to show that coplanar ellipses do not have 'similar' flight paths, especially when it comes to interations with an inclined concentric torus.

There is not a single one of you deserving of my time.

Strange that you only come to this conclusion when given the simple demand to answer some questions which are inherently relevant to your claim, despite several days of literally hour after hour of positing and commenting. I conclude that you simply cannot answer the questions posed, therefore your conclusions are not supported by evidence of your own understanding of the issues.

Think of me when your falsehoods can no longer be sustained by your diversion and your deceit.  You know I will be smiling.

Your smiles are irrelvant, since they are the smiles of a man who is unable to conceive that he might not be a world expert on a subject and cannot bear to be shown up by others who are.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2848 on: April 22, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
Does tim hold the record for most flounces in a single thread?

♪I could have flounced all night, I could have flounced all night, and still have flounced some more~
I could have spread my wings, claimed a thousand things, that were all claimed before♫
With apologies to the makers of My Fair Lady

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2849 on: April 22, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
I'll be honest, I bluffed my way through parts of that discussion on orbital mechanics. You can ask molesworth and bknight. I had to send a few PMs out to clarify a few issues. Thanks again for the model Jason, that was most intuitive.

Mag40's link:  https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_18-24_Translunar_Injection.htm

This has kept me busy today reading through the medical kits, the mass of the astronauts before and after, the illnesses and ailments they suffered (7 blocked Eustachian tubes and some rhinitis). I was most intrigued that the bio med report suggests that the temperature on Apollo 13 was lower than that recorded by sensors.

Just so much to be gotten again.

Did anyone notice that Jay flounced too? My reckoning is that he got lost on log graphs and gave in.  ;D
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch