Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635824 times)

Offline nickrulercreator

• Venus
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2910 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
Damn, I think this thread has the most posts, second only to the thread: AeE130 Website: http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2911 on: April 24, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
I agree that ANY person versed in the operation of a nuclear submarine would know that answer.  Off the top of their head, too.

Hell, I've never even set foot on a submarine, nuclear or otherwise, but even I know where they put the tanks and why on a nuclear one. Tim's evasion of a simpler question and the suggestion he can do the more complex ones is not only not helping his credibility, it's not even written in a credible manner. Looks more like someone using word salad to sound clever than actually a genuine question. For one thing I'm pretty damn sure that emergency shutdown mechanisms are not 'chemical' and are integrated into the reactors, given that all the actual reacting takes place in a sealed and shielded compartment. In an emergency shutdown scenario I wouldn't want to be going to a store somewhere else to get something, then opening the reactor up to use it. This isn't like Spock restarting the Enterprise engines in Star trek II, after all....

Don't you know? The bag of SCRAM powder is stored in the Beano locker, right next to the Relative Bearing Grease.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2912 on: April 24, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
LO please add this question.

Is this a log or linear graph?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2913 on: April 24, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »
Ah, well I stand corrected, thank you, Lurker. I also withdraw my criticism of Tim's question about chemicals for shutdown purposes.

You could not elude the knowledge of the nuke-submariners. I was fairly clueless that the chemicals alluded to neutron poison. I cannot elude this fact now, so am generous to those that have increased my knowledge that little bit more*.

I was looking at the thread last night, and the number of elude mistakes I made was a trifle embarrassing. I hope it does not affect effect affect effect affect effect make people think that I am unable to use grammar.

See how easy that was, tim?

* See how easy that was, Tim?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2914 on: April 24, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
Don't you know? The bag of SCRAM powder is stored in the Beano locker, right next to the Relative Bearing Grease.

Along with the glass hammer and left handed screwdriver. Was bearing grease invented by Ralph Rene?

Did you know that the UK Trident SSBNs are based in Scotland's Faslane. Before they enter home port they are painted with tartan paint?  ::)

Sorry to Scottish friends and those with Scottish ancestry for the awful stereotype regarding tartan.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2915 on: April 24, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
Oh, and whilst you are at it, go to stores and get a long weight. And I understand you want to put your name down for training as a splash target coxswain?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2916 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »
... and fetch a bucket of sparks and some skyhooks while you're in the stores.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2917 on: April 24, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Just checked my emails, and got this email from our local Labour Party branch.  :o

I'm 100% sure that they aren't connected, but it sort of freaked me out.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #2918 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »

Reminds me of when I joined air cadets and sent off to find some prop wash when we went on our first airplane ride in a DC-3. 

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #2919 on: April 24, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »

Reminds me of when I joined air cadets and sent off to find some prop wash when we went on our first airplane ride in a DC-3.

I'm still looking for some elbow grease. And Tim's answer...

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #2920 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
So much for this guy having a change of heart. He's basically started off again at Cosmoquest with identical and unaltered arguments without at any point acknowledging his stunning mistakes. It's fairly obvious that he is incapable of seeing anything beyond his narrow and very inaccurate viewpoint.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2921 on: April 24, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
So much for this guy having a change of heart. He's basically started off again at Cosmoquest with identical and unaltered arguments without at any point acknowledging his stunning mistakes. It's fairly obvious that he is incapable of seeing anything beyond his narrow and very inaccurate viewpoint.

Reading through the new thread, and it makes for a very depressing read.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:42:41 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2922 on: April 24, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
Why would I deign answer such a silly question?

Continued evasion of simple question noted.

Who do you think I am that I should answer to your whims?

Who do you think we are that we should accept your absurd oversimplifications?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2923 on: April 24, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
I submit you have to have some level of expectation or you could not have any estimation of your ability to protect the safety of your men.

This is not about safety. You want a number to work with so you can keep telling us the Apollo numbers are bogus. The GCR flux for a two week mission isn't a significant safety concern, therefore it matters not what actual number you use as a baseline.

The issue here is not what number we would use but why you insist on calling an average a minimum and using an average calculated from the Apollo mission doses to claim the Apollo mission doses that very average was calculated from are bogus.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #2924 on: April 24, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »

He's a troll - stirring crap up for the sake of stirring crap up. I'll bet real money he isn't a committed HB, just someone with a lot of spare time and a pathological need to nerd snipe.  And given the page count for this thread, damned good at it. 

God speed Timmeh; as trolls go, you were especially annoying.