Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635336 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2985 on: April 27, 2018, 01:49:31 AM »
For ranb: in your professional opinion, did TimFinch meet your standards as a professional submariner?

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #2986 on: April 27, 2018, 02:28:35 AM »

I'm actually quite enjoying the mental exercise involved in coming up with illustrations. I might be able to eductae some children with them, even if they are beyond Tim's comprehension....
It's reached the point where I don't think they are beyond his comprehension.  He understands exactly what they show.

His postings are becoming more and more provocative, and I reckon he's trying to get a "suicide by mod" award to go and flaunt at other hoax-believer sites / forums.

His repeated "misinterpretations", "misreadings" and requests for reposting, re-drawing, and his constant reposting of the same diagrams, lead me to one conclusion...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2987 on: April 27, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
The thing about all this radiation talk that gets me

Oh look, another thing that 'gets you'. Care to address any of the responses to the previous things that 'got you'? No? Thought not. Why change the habit of a lifetime, eh?

is that it will probably all be revised in the future.

Of course it will. That's how science works. New discoveries, new understanding, refinements of models. It doesn't overturn everything that was previously understood.

You have to take it as faith that the information is correct and peer reviewed.

No, you don't. The whole point of publication in peer reviewed journals is that you can actually examine the data and methods yourself and, given the right equipment, repeat the experiments. It has nothing to do with faith.

Might as well just believe in Sasquatch.

There's a world of difference between science not knowing everything and science not knowing anything. The thing that gets me is the number of people who don't get that difference and think they can fill in the gaps or replace the bits they don't like with whatever fairy tale most appeals to them.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #2988 on: April 27, 2018, 03:28:22 AM »
The thing about all this radiation talk that gets me is that it will probably all be revised in the future.  If you read a lot of the Nasa publications and articles they always put a disclaimer?  Usually they say something like "Though accurate at the time of publication........  You have to take it as faith that the information is correct and peer reviewed.  Might as well just believe in Sasquatch.

It may be REFINED in future papers, but the fundamentals won't change.

Though of course the VAB's do change geometry and intensity over time due to solar weather and changes in earth's magnetic field.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2989 on: April 27, 2018, 03:30:39 AM »
For ranb: in your professional opinion, did TimFinch meet your standards as a professional submariner?

Well, he didn't meet my standards as a serviceman. I would not have put up with an airman like him under my command.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2990 on: April 27, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
It has become comedy gold over on CQ.

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #2991 on: April 27, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »

Not at all.  I thought it was very strange that he would not understand the relationship of the fuel tanks and reactor shielding.

I've also encountered more than a few Sailors who were stubborn, but they normally knew their limitations and did not indulge in arguments in which they stuck to a position just to tell others they were wrong.  I thought his " I'm a nuclear trained electrician" and "I supervised ELT's" was especially galling.  For example I'm more than a bit learned when it comes to firearms, but would never tell a real soldier how to do their job.   :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:14:39 AM by Ranb »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2992 on: April 27, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
And it's closed again.

Just as well. Someone went and mentioned that the magnetic field lines are FAR from straight on the surface of the Earth, meaning a compass doesn't point at the geomagnetic pole, either. I can not imagine the confusion poor A Square was likely to be driven into had that line of discussion continued.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2993 on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
That's unfair to A Square. He not only grasped 3 dimensions (although to be truthful, it did take a demonstration) in the end he was ahead of the Sphere.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2994 on: April 27, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
He started a new thread which was swiftly closed. I haven't formed an opinion of his motives or his understanding as I simply do not understand whether he:

a) Stubbornly refuses to accept any correction to his assumptions as a consequence of inflated ego.
b) Believes he is cleverer than the rest of the world.
c) Is deliberately trolling.
d) Is role playing the character.

He is wasting people's time. I cannot believe that he does not comprehend some simple concepts, given that he is relatively erudite. He's not your frothing at the mouth in the YouTube badlands type. Maybe it is best to ignore him now?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:59:09 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #2995 on: April 27, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »
He started a new thread which was closed swiftly. I haven't formed an opinion of his motives or his understanding as I simply do not understand whether he:

a) Stubbornly refuses to accept any correction to his assumptions as a consequence of inflated ego.
b) Believes he is more clever than the rest of the world.

He is wasting people's time. I cannot believe that he does not comprehend some simple concepts, given that he is relatively erudite. He's not your frothing at the mouth in the YouTube badlands type. Maybe it is best to ignore him now?

Did you read what he said? It shows an epic inability to grasp reality. A user has quite correctly mirrored the left side of the Earth to show it in its entirety. It demonstrates that an exit angle on the opposite side of the Earth adds the 11.5 degrees. Game set and match.

His response is total gibberish. He keeps carping on about the Lunar plane when it is nothing at all to do with any of it. He is either painfully dumb or a dedicated troll. I see no chance of him ever seeing how clueless he is being.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2996 on: April 27, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
He started a new thread which was swiftly closed. I haven't formed an opinion of his motives or his understanding as I simply do not understand whether he:

Well, well. I suppose he could be seeking the badge of honour of a banning.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2997 on: April 27, 2018, 12:19:36 PM »
Did you read what he said?

Yes, I've read exactly what he said. I can't fathom the reasons beyond his commitment, or more precisely rationalise his reasons without making assumptions. It could be a combination of issues and/or motives.

If I were to edge my bets based on the evidence, then he's a troll. So is it time to ignore him? If he's painfully dumb then there's probably little that can be done given the efforts that have been expended, particularly by Jason.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:08:21 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2998 on: April 27, 2018, 12:40:05 PM »

I just got back from radiation therapy and a treadmill workout and was going to ask why he thinks he's right and the rest of us are wrong given that he linked data, reports that he clearly doesn't understand and refute his contention, but I missed the opportunity.  I must say the mods are being very tolerate of him.  I conclude he is a troll.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2999 on: April 27, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
I actually reported one of my own posts last night to ask that the mods hold his feet to the fire about why they didn't just fake the data.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates