Author Topic: Some doubts.  (Read 23790 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Some doubts.
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
That all being said, the astronauts did note that the door appeared to bulge out when the LM was pressurised....

Was it Aldrin that had to "peel" the hatch open before dumping the PLSSs and other garbage before ascent? IIRC, they pressurised, stripped off the PLSSs, prepared stuff for dumping, connected to the onboard atmospheric unit, de-pessurised and then dumped the garbage on the surface. They then re-pressurised ready for ascent. IIRC there was a small amount of pressure left and Aldrin (again I think that it was Aldrin) "peeled" back one corner to equalise. The door was flimsy enough to allow this.

Also, I seem to remember reading about a technician puncturing the floor on a LM (or it could have been a boilerplate) when he dropped a screwdriver when working on it.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
The other question is how thick should it be? The HB is engaging in a bit of 'begging the question' here, as the presupposition of the question is that a millimeter-thick skin is too thin.

It may also be something that one of the ISF (formerly JREF) forums calls an 'unevaluated equivocation fallacy' (or words to that effect): the supposition that A > B when one or neither values are known.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
Here's a couple of pictures of the lunar module ascent stage crew cabin without the insulation and outer skin.  You can see the ribs supporting the skin of the cabin:

Front
Side
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
That all being said, the astronauts did note that the door appeared to bulge out when the LM was pressurised....

Was it Aldrin that had to "peel" the hatch open before dumping the PLSSs and other garbage before ascent? IIRC, they pressurised, stripped off the PLSSs, prepared stuff for dumping, connected to the onboard atmospheric unit, de-pessurised and then dumped the garbage on the surface. They then re-pressurised ready for ascent. IIRC there was a small amount of pressure left and Aldrin (again I think that it was Aldrin) "peeled" back one corner to equalise. The door was flimsy enough to allow this.

It was Aldrin, but the peel happened prior to the moonwalk.

John Young on Apollo 10 was a bit concerned about the bulging hatch.

Also, I seem to remember reading about a technician puncturing the floor on a LM (or it could have been a boilerplate) when he dropped a screwdriver when working on it.

I think it was Murray and Cox in "Apollo - The Race to the Moon" who mentioned this incident.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
Hi guys, I believe the landing happened but I have some doubts and I need someone to explain it.

Is it possible that USA could have bribed Russia with grain shipments to keep the conspiracy?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
The first grain purchase agreement was signed in 1972 very near the end of the moon missions.

https://www.apstudynotes.org/us-history/topics/nixon-and-foreign-policy/
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan