Author Topic: Moon pics static shadows and moving stars.  (Read 92940 times)

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
Re: Moon pics static shadows and moving stars.
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »

There is no lost Apollo film.

I see.  Is this post from Wiki not true then?? 

The Apollo 11 missing tapes were those that were recorded from Apollo 11's slow-scan television (SSTV) telecast in its raw format on telemetry data tape during the time of the first Moon landing in 1969 and subsequently lost. A team of retired NASA employees and contractors tried to locate the tapes in the early 2000s but was unable to do so. The data tapes were recorded as a backup in case the live television broadcasts failed for any reason. In order to broadcast the SSTV transmission on standard television, NASA ground receiving stations performed real-time scan conversion to the NTSC television format. The moonwalk's converted video signal was broadcast live around the world on July 21, 1969 (2:56 UTC). At the time, the NTSC broadcast was recorded on many videotapes and kinescope films. Many of these low-quality recordings remain intact.
My bolding.
Do you not read what you post?  SSTV BACKUP tapes were overwritten, the original tapes are still intact and safe.
But TV tapes are NOT film images, and that is what AtomicDog is referring.

I thought I DID  read it correctly, yes!  The Tapes were a Backup Recording of the 'LIVE' broadcast.......Forgive me it's late here and I'm tired now.  I fail to see the relevance of the Wiki post if we're only talking about a loss of a backup when the original still exists.!  It even states there are many LOW Quality remain INTACT.  The word Intact itself is ominous.

Soooo, everything is still available?  Nothing is Lost or Erased?  Forgive me if I don't accept a simple YES as proof.  It's not personal.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2017, 10:25:52 PM »
Actually Screw that.  If this is remotely true....it's garbage!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_missing_tapes

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »

There is no lost Apollo film.

I see.  Is this post from Wiki not true then?? 

The Apollo 11 missing tapes were those that were recorded from Apollo 11's slow-scan television (SSTV) telecast in its raw format on telemetry data tape during the time of the first Moon landing in 1969 and subsequently lost. A team of retired NASA employees and contractors tried to locate the tapes in the early 2000s but was unable to do so. The data tapes were recorded as a backup in case the live television broadcasts failed for any reason. In order to broadcast the SSTV transmission on standard television, NASA ground receiving stations performed real-time scan conversion to the NTSC television format. The moonwalk's converted video signal was broadcast live around the world on July 21, 1969 (2:56 UTC). At the time, the NTSC broadcast was recorded on many videotapes and kinescope films. Many of these low-quality recordings remain intact.
My bolding.
Do you not read what you post?  SSTV BACKUP tapes were overwritten, the original tapes are still intact and safe.
But TV tapes are NOT film images, and that is what AtomicDog is referring.

I thought I DID  read it correctly, yes!  The Tapes were a Backup Recording of the 'LIVE' broadcast.......Forgive me it's late here and I'm tired now.  I fail to see the relevance of the Wiki post if we're only talking about a loss of a backup when the original still exists.!  It even states there are many LOW Quality remain INTACT.  The word Intact itself is ominous.

Soooo, everything is still available?  Nothing is Lost or Erased?  Forgive me if I don't accept a simple YES as proof.  It's not personal.

Wikipedia, as useful as it is, is not a primary source. NASA says that it has all of the Lunar surface video. If you don't believe them, that's up to you. I'm satisfied that it's all there.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »
Let's see...

No Stars...check.
Missing Film, correction, Tapes...check.
When do we get to Searing Radiation Hell?

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2017, 01:04:43 AM »

Let's explain it one more time:

The telemetry stream of all the Apollo missions was recorded onto back-up tapes for post-mission analysis. The TV signal was embedded into the telemetry. In the case of the Apollo 11 EVA, the TV signal was extracted from the telemetry stream and broadcast live to the whole world whilst simultaneously being recorded by NASA onto other media. These separate recordings were ADDITIONAL to the back-up telemetry tapes. The back-up telemetry tapes for Apollo 11 have been erased (though they still exist for the other missions) but the other recordings of the TV signal still exist. And even if the back-up tapes hadn't been erased, what machine is currently in existence that could read them? And don't forget that TV and other media companies around the world made their own recordings of the TV broadcast.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2017, 01:17:01 AM »
The First Doctor serial "Marco Polo" is lost. The Apollo 11 EVA video still exists.

In the case of Apollo, we have first-generation copies; it's the equivalent of missing the master tapes (and the chance to make a new first-generation dupe). In the case of Hartnell, all we have is script, some production stills, and fan made off-the-air audio recordings.

Yes, what is next? Bent shadows? Missing rover tracks, that's my guess. But I'll put a couple bucks on "the Earth is too small in the photographs" as well.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2017, 01:56:14 AM »
You do realize, Icarus1, at as they were doing the television video of the EVA, there was also a FILM camera in the LM that was taking footage that is even better than the slow scan video? For one, it's in colour. So if the slow scan video original was hiding something, why isn't it revealed in the 16 mmm data acquisition camera footage.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:57:57 AM by raven »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2017, 02:05:18 AM »

Let's explain it one more time:

The telemetry stream of all the Apollo missions was recorded onto back-up tapes for post-mission analysis. The TV signal was embedded into the telemetry. In the case of the Apollo 11 EVA, the TV signal was extracted from the telemetry stream and broadcast live to the whole world whilst simultaneously being recorded by NASA onto other media. These separate recordings were ADDITIONAL to the back-up telemetry tapes. The back-up telemetry tapes for Apollo 11 have been erased (though they still exist for the other missions) but the other recordings of the TV signal still exist. And even if the back-up tapes hadn't been erased, what machine is currently in existence that could read them? And don't forget that TV and other media companies around the world made their own recordings of the TV broadcast.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Furthermore, there is nothing nefarious or shady about those tapes being erased and reused. This was pretty much an S.O.P. in those days when video recording tape was a very expensive commodity, in short supply as well as being bulky and expensive to store.. The BBC used to do this all the time, a process known as "wiping" or"junking"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping

Many early episodes of Dr Who, The Quatermass Experiment, The Avengers, Hancock's Half Hour, A for Andromeda and Out of the Unknown are lost forever because the tapes were wiped and reused for later projects.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2017, 05:14:32 AM »
but you know what I've just found?  A link to Flickr where Nasa have a bunch of Hi Res Un-processed images..................SHOWING STARS!!!!!!!!

OR, dust, gamma, xrays, radiation, charged particles, advanced Star trek photon torpedo's  you name it.

What are in these images then?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/21672034272/in/album-72157658638144538/

I have no idea, but I suggest you determine if these 'stars' correspond to any known constellations.

Someone did this FOR YOU, earlier on, with their plate-solving software, I suggest you do the same, or consult with a qualified astronomer.

If they don't correspond to the constellations that would be expected in the field of view of the photo, there seems little point in investigating further.

I very much doubt you will be 'the one' who manages to expose 'the big hoax'. 

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2017, 05:25:26 AM »
I am merely playing Devils Advocate in a search for truth.

There are many places to find the 'truth' of Apollo, and you're heading off down a blind alley.

Take a look at The Lunar Sourcebook, the experience reports, transcripts, and a host of other factual texts about Apollo.

... it's a little off in what I'm hoping to achieve.

Please restate in a few short sentences exactly WHAT you are hoping to achieve

...  I'm what you would call and Emapth. 

Do you mean 'an Empath' ???

I read between the lines to get an idea of the character and intention of the speaker.

Irrelevant. Look at the facts.

... Everything is open for re-examination.

Re-examine EVERYTHING then, not just a couple of frames.

And PLEASE follow the guidance I gave you earlier on clarifying where you've added text to a quote. It's not difficult, as you can see immediately above.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »
It's 3am in the morning here in the UK. 

Oh, no. One of my own countrymen is behind all of this.

I've been at this thread for over ten hours now, if not more.

You need to learn when to go to sleep.

I've learned something today.....

Good. Learn when to stop posting, and go to sleep. I had a good eight-hour break from this while you were ploughing on

THE most important images of all time; not to mention the reels of film LOST/ERASED!!!

Come ooooonnn people.

Come ON, about what? Which 'reels of film' do you allege were lost or 'erased'? How do you 'erase' a reel of 6x7 film?

You're surely not gish-galloping to ANOTHER hoax theory, are you?

I sincerely thank those of you that have added to this discussion on my behalf.  I am warmed by your generosity of time and patience.  To the rest of you inbreds that only offered scorn and ridicule....I love you too.   We gotta take care of the angry one's....!

Condescension doesn't help your case.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
Is this post from Wiki not true then?? 

The Apollo 11 missing tapes were those that were recorded from Apollo 11's slow-scan television (SSTV) telecast in its raw format on telemetry data tape during the time of the first Moon landing in 1969 and subsequently lost.

In its 'raw' format. Read it again - RAW format. There was a conversion process, as stated below, since the raw format was incompatible with earthbound TV transmission. Tapes were kept in converted format, and the telecast was also broadcast LIVE to many TV stations worldwide, who kept their own copies.

A team of retired NASA employees and contractors tried to locate the tapes in the early 2000s but was unable to do so. The data tapes were recorded as a backup in case the live television broadcasts failed for any reason. In order to broadcast the SSTV transmission on standard television, NASA ground receiving stations performed real-time scan conversion to the NTSC television format. The moonwalk's converted video signal was broadcast live around the world on July 21, 1969 (2:56 UTC). At the time, the NTSC broadcast was recorded on many videotapes and kinescope films. Many of these low-quality recordings remain intact.

As has been stated, this is NOT the loss or erasure of 'film' from the missions.

And again - you won't get anywhere by log-jumping between hoax theories.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2017, 05:40:36 AM »
I fail to see the relevance of the Wiki post if we're only talking about a loss of a backup when the original still exists.!  It even states there are many LOW Quality remain INTACT.  The word Intact itself is ominous.

Why did you introduce it into the thread if you fail to see its relevance?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2017, 07:07:52 AM »
I fail to see the relevance of the Wiki post if we're only talking about a loss of a backup when the original still exists.!  It even states there are many LOW Quality remain INTACT.  The word Intact itself is ominous.

Why did you introduce it into the thread if you fail to see its relevance?

He's already on a gish-gallop..lets not encourage it more.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov