Author Topic: Moon pics static shadows and moving stars.  (Read 92922 times)

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
Re: Moon pics static shadows and moving stars.
« Reply #420 on: January 20, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
I did click on the link.  you calling me a Liar again?

Yes, very much so.

You told us you never disputed the answers you were given.  I linked to two posts in which you disputed the answers you were given.  Therefore you lied.  Insofar as you are being dishonest in this forum and won't be accountable for it, I don't think you have the right expect any sort of coddling from the members here.  Expect to be grilled as a hostile witness.

Ooooh I've certainly come to expect it lol.

Thanks.

Here is when I realised my error in my OP

Howdy Icarus!  Welcome to the forum.

I think I see the crux of your problem here as related to your question.  In your opening post, you wrote:

Quote from: Icarus1 on January 05, 2017, 07:14:24 AM

My initial intention was to reveal Stars in the blackness of space.  I wanted to research the 'Why No Stars in Moon pics' theory.  I am a Professional Photographer.  I have Photoshop.  I opened these two images in PS (I will either post or link or whatever, later) and increased the Levels to reveal stars in the blackness.  At first I thought 'Great; there are stars'.  However, I overlay the 2nd image and did the same, lowering the opacity to align with the image below it.  Content with the alignment, and selecting between the two images, something was revealed.

(Emphasis added)

Your error is in assuming that the dots you found were, in fact, stars.

They are not.

What are they?  Well, it they don't match up from image to image, then you can safely rule them out as anything that was actually in the scene photographed.  That is to say, it is "noise".  I use the term loosely; although it is usually used in reference to transmission and reception, it is also valid when describing any spurious data on a detector (which, technically, camera film is) or in an image.  The 'noise hypothesis' is testable in several different ways, from the general (If you photograph a very black object using a film camera and daylight settings, then digitize the result and adjust the levels, do you get noise?) to the specific (After adjusting the levels on images in question (thanks for listing them, btw), did you check the shadows in the foreground to see if they showed dots, and -if so - did those dots match-up on consecutive images).

When you first adjusted your levels and saw dots on the black, your first thought should not have been, 'Great, there are stars,' but rather, 'I've got something, are they stars?'  Matching it with a consecutive pic was a valid test for eliminating the possibility that they are stars.

Having thus eliminated the possibility of them being stars, your whole question as stated...

To make this more clear as a question, and bearing in mind my knowledge of celestial movement and observation from the Moon's surface is non-existent, would the foreground shadows on the moon (created by the Sun only?) change in angle as the moon travels thru space in a manner that would be easily observed over a very short/immediate period of time?  Would the stars also move so drastically in the same instance?  Is it possible for the foreground shadows to be exactly the same in both images, but the stars be totally different?

...becomes irrelevant (the answer to your question, by the way, is "No, but who cares - That's noise, not stars").

I think what got others here riled is the perceived train of thought:
"I see dots ---> Dots are stars ---> Stars don't match ---> 'Conspiracy to deceive'"
instead of
"I see dots ---> Dots don't match ---> Dots are not stars"

Which do you think is more reasonable?

If one were to ask me to consider the conspiracy angle (only considering the issue raised with these two photographs and ignoring the entire rest of the Apollo record), my first thought would be, 'If someone were faking this scene in some way, why would they rearrange a whole lot of 'stars' in the background sky between two consecutive images?  That would be silly and - more to the point - unnecessary!'

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

Sorry Jay, didn't mean to upset you.  You seem Irate?  You know if you spout off like a Father figure call someone childish and desrving os such treatment then you really need to Man Up and simply accept it.  I'm off out for drinks and Karaoke.

Thanks

Oh to anyone who actually Does Read ALL the posts.

This thread was agreed and ended a long long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far away.

The answers I agree with are:

Dust or compression artifacts etc.
Not a Vortex

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
You've referenced 2 instances of here and here, but I don't know what you're bringing my attention to.

The "here and here" are two hyperlinks to other posts you have made on this forum.

Go back to that post

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=1245.msg40570#msg40570

position your mouse over a "here" and left click.

If you quote the post and look through the text of it, you can see how to format making a word into a hyperlink using BBCode.

Thank you but not sure I understand.  I know how to follow a LINK.

My point is I followed the link and took me to an entire page.

Sorry I'm still not getting the Quote thing.  but I have a headache and I'm off out now.

Cheers.

Have a great weekend all of you.  New Prez in Da House!

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #422 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »
You've referenced 2 instances of here and here, but I don't know what you're bringing my attention to.

The "here and here" are two hyperlinks to other posts you have made on this forum.

Go back to that post

If you quote the post and look through the text of it, you can see how to format making a word into a hyperlink using BBCode.

Sorry I'm still not getting the Quote thing.  but I have a headache and I'm off out now.

Cheers.

When you follow a link to a post on a forum site, the post being linked is the top one, the first one that appears on the page
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #423 on: January 20, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

Go back to that post

Cheers.

When you follow a link to a post on a forum site, the post being linked is the top one, the first one that appears on the page

Oh I see.  I'll go back and check them tomorrow then.

No doubt I'll receive another loads of insults by then.

I know I know, i seem to ask for it. Doh!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #424 on: January 20, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
I think I see the crux of your problem here as related to your question.

No, that's got nothing to do with it.  You claimed you never disagreed or argued with any of the answers you were given.  I provided links to two of your posts on the first page of this thread, wherein you most certainly did disagree and argue with the first on-topic answers you were given.  I have cited this as an example of how you try to rewrite the thread to make it seem like you're doing everything right and your critics are somehow in the wrong.  This behavior is not consistent with someone who is sincerely seeking answers to innocent questions.

Sorry Jay, didn't mean to upset you.  You seem Irate?

Gaslighting doesn't really work on us, Icarus1.  You've been behaving like an ass, trying to blame everyone else for it, and have been rightly called on it.  I gave you advice, back when you had the benefit of the doubt, regarding how to avoid misunderstandings regarding your presentation here.  You haven't seen fit to follow it, so there isn't much doubt left of which to give you the benefit.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #425 on: January 20, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »
Icarus1, I thought that you came here to learn about Apollo.
The Argument Clinic is down the hall.

Haha you fool.

Said the person who was so offended that people "attacked his character" by explaining in detail why his proposals weren't scientifically accurate.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #426 on: January 20, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »
I think I see the crux of your problem here as related to your question.

No, that's got nothing to do with it.  You claimed you never disagreed or argued with any of the answers you were given.  I provided links to two of your posts on the first page of this thread, wherein you most certainly did disagree and argue with the first on-topic answers you were given.  I have cited this as an example of how you try to rewrite the thread to make it seem like you're doing everything right and your critics are somehow in the wrong.  This behavior is not consistent with someone who is sincerely seeking answers to innocent questions.

Sorry Jay, didn't mean to upset you.  You seem Irate?

Gaslighting doesn't really work on us, Icarus1.  You've been behaving like an ass, trying to blame everyone else for it, and have been rightly called on it.  I gave you advice, back when you had the benefit of the doubt, regarding how to avoid misunderstandings regarding your presentation here.  You haven't seen fit to follow it, so there isn't much doubt left of which to give you the benefit.

That re-post wasn't just for you Jay.  Perhaps you think this song is about you too?

I've no Idea what Gaslighting means.  Please don't speak in Troll. 

I need you to take a step back and un-do all you think you know about me!

I have thanked you previously for your replies.

I'm beginning to resent it now though.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #427 on: January 20, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »

Haha you fool.

Next?
Said the person who was so offended that people "attacked his character" by explaining in detail why his proposals weren't scientifically accurate.

I am a fool; and an ignorant one at that!  A fool in the pursuit of knowledge.  I have it now. 

Thank you.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #428 on: January 20, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »

No hard feelings to anyone.

Calling me a Trekkie is a high honor.  I've been on the sets of Voyager, and I've had a hand in the designs for the upcoming (but long delayed) new television series.  I'm not only a fan of Star Trek, I've contributed to making it.

I suppose you've signed a nondisclosure agreement?  ;)
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #429 on: January 20, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »

Haha you fool.

Next?

I am a fool; and an ignorant one at that!  A fool in the pursuit of knowledge.  I have it now. 

Thank you.

Good Lord.

Don't take everything so damned personally - it's just a forum on the Internet, not real life.  These people don't know you, you don't know them.  In the grand scheme of life, anything that happens here is meaningless and not worth getting exercised about.

The nature of these boards is such that people can be blunt, especially when they've seen the same flavor of argument literally hundreds of times before (I've been following talk.origins since the early 1990s, ask me how many times I've heard/read "if humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes" being presented as though it were a novel argument). 

How many times have I seen someone get hammered for posting something that's easily debunked, get their feelings hurt, and respond by changing the subject while doubling down on the victimization complex? 

So yeah, you're getting abused a bit.  Been there. 

Best way out of it is to first drop the victimization complex.  You're not going to get special treatment just because you don't know everything yet.  Hell, I don't know everything either - I'm just a code monkey with delusions of adequacy.  But I at least try to take some time to get a feel for the place before diving in. 

Secondly, you literally have a world's worth of knowledge at your fingertips.  Familiarize yourself with some basic physics (Newtonian mechanics, some thermodynamics, etc.).  You're a photographer, you should already have some basic knowledge of optics, light, exposure, etc.  We're not going to spend an entire thread teaching you everything from conservation of momentum to Special and General Relativity. 

Take some time to do some basic research.  If you have questions, by all means ask them, but don't expect to be coddled.  Before asking, you might want to do a search to see if a similar question hasn't already been asked. 

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #430 on: January 20, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
No hard feelings to anyone.

Calling me a Trekkie is a high honor.  I've been on the sets of Voyager, and I've had a hand in the designs for the upcoming (but long delayed) new television series.  I'm not only a fan of Star Trek, I've contributed to making it.

Bit late getting out here.  I don't have an accolade as High as Voyaer but i was in a Film with Luke Goss called Interview with a Hitman.  Coincidentally I was originally the Set Photographer as a Professional!  Earning a minimum of £200 per day for 5 hours work.  Wow, who'd have thunked it.

I was a big fan of ST especially back when I was younger.  There was an episode of a Space Time Rip where the ship was slit into to time Zones.  One thought they could hear a buzzing but half the crew had vanished and the other half we frozn in time.  Fantastic stuff.  High Regard!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #431 on: January 20, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
I've no Idea what Gaslighting means.  Please don't speak in Troll.

So instead of looking it up and wondering whether the explanation might legitimately apply to you, you just decided to call me names instead.  Funny, since "gaslighting" is a common pscyhological term and you questioned my understanding of psychology.  I guess we found another subject you don't know as much about as you insinuate.

Gaslighting, in brief, is behavior that is intended to manipulate others into questioning their own perceptions.  You're trying to manipulate people into accept your self-characterization as the innocent flower-child victim of an ill-behaved rabble of skeptics, rather than let them draw their own conclusions about the propriety of your approach here and its likely goals.

I need you to take a step back and un-do all you think you know about me!

No, i really don't think I do.  As I told you before, everyone thinks they're the first one to try this approach and that their critics won't see it for what it is.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #432 on: January 20, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

Several.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #433 on: January 20, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
Gaslighting, in brief, is behavior that is intended to manipulate others into questioning their own perceptions....

...from the 1940 Film Noir "Gaslight" starring Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #434 on: January 20, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
How is there three pages of posts all showing on Tapatalk as "just now"? How can you all type that fast? And it's not even about a juicy hoaxgument.

I think it is time to wheel out the XKCD.
https://xkcd.com/386/