Author Topic: JFK - 3 shooters 6 shots  (Read 440568 times)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
Re: JFK - 3 shooters 6 shots
« Reply #420 on: May 14, 2012, 12:00:10 AM »
Actually, I think Oswald was likely reasonably sophisticated in his thinking upon his capture. By immediately confessing, he would be seen, by many, as just some poor insane person, and quicly forgotten, in jail or worse, a mental institution.

But denying it? He could play that out for months - years. And he would finally get on center stage with the world, as the Martyr for Communism. It's a paranoid's dream - to have the attention of the whole world, as you proclaim how Everyone Is Out to Get You (even if you did what they say you did).

Actually escaping would probably have left him feeling very unfulfilled. I imagine he would have, somehow, arranged his own capture, even if he wasn't conscious that that was what he was doing.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #421 on: May 14, 2012, 12:29:47 AM »
I tend to agree. He could always confess later (or so he thought), but once made a confession would have been impossible to retract. His trial would have been a huge spectacle, but he wouldn't have gotten one by pleading guilty.

He had murdered the most powerful and famous victim imaginable. With overwhelming evidence, there's no way that the prosecutor would have offered any kind of plea bargain. Nor would he have settled for anything less than the death penalty, so Oswald would have had nothing to lose by pleading not guilty and going to trial.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #422 on: May 14, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
I think if he hadn't killed Tippit he would have confessed. Norman Mailer said it best. "But if you shoot a policeman, forget it. You're a punk."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #423 on: May 14, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »
See, this is part of why I'm so much more into JFK than Apollo, as far as conspiracies go.  The psychology of Lee Harvey Oswald is fascinating.  Heck, the psychology of half the people involved in the assassination.  Poor Marina--who almost certainly would have been better off if she'd never met him back in Minsk.  That egomaniac Jack Ruby.  Jackie Kennedy's state of shock and what her grief did to hamper the investigation.  Apollo is all about people at their best, and that's great and inspiring.  However, there's something to watching what people are like at their worst that's more interesting.  Does that make me a bad person?  And if it does, how many people are bad people right along with me?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
I think if he hadn't killed Tippit he would have confessed. Norman Mailer said it best. "But if you shoot a policeman, forget it. You're a punk."
I was going to quote that, because I've been thinking about it. If he would have confessed had he not shot Tippit, then why did he shoot Tippit? In fact, why did he run?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #425 on: May 14, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
See, this is part of why I'm so much more into JFK than Apollo, as far as conspiracies go.  The psychology of Lee Harvey Oswald is fascinating.  Heck, the psychology of half the people involved in the assassination.  Poor Marina--who almost certainly would have been better off if she'd never met him back in Minsk.  That egomaniac Jack Ruby.  Jackie Kennedy's state of shock and what her grief did to hamper the investigation.  Apollo is all about people at their best, and that's great and inspiring.  However, there's something to watching what people are like at their worst that's more interesting.  Does that make me a bad person?  And if it does, how many people are bad people right along with me?
If you're a bad person, so am I. I don't think we are though  :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #426 on: May 14, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
If you're a bad person, so am I. I don't think we are though  :)

I am!
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »
The psychology of Lee Harvey Oswald is fascinating.  Heck, the psychology of half the people involved in the assassination.  Poor Marina--who almost certainly would have been better off if she'd never met him back in Minsk.  That egomaniac Jack Ruby.
You're absolutely right. All this has a very practical use, too. If you can understand what made Oswald tick, you have a much better chance to keep future would-be assassins from suceeding.

Bugliosi puts it very well: the one profile that Oswald matched perfectly was that of a presidential assassin. This is something the conspiracists have almost completely obscured in their quest to "prove" that someone, anyone but Oswald did it.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:02 AM »
There are a lot of people in history I can feel sorry for, and Lee simply isn't one of them.  Oh, he had to put up with his mother, and that was pretty miserable.  But I don't think Lee would have been a substantially better person even with a better mother.  I mean, Robert turned out okay--and Robert thought his brother had done it, too.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #429 on: May 16, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
Been reading Warren Commission testimonies
You guys should read this stuff

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #430 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »

Who are you addressing this to? More than one poster in this thread has already read them and told you so.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #431 on: May 16, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
We did.

Mr. SPECTER. What is your best estimate as to the timespan between the first shot which you heard and the shot which you heretofore characterized as the third shot?
Governor CONNALLY. It was a very brief span of time; oh, I would have to say a matter of seconds. I don't know, 10, 12 seconds. It was extremely rapid, so much so that again I thought that whoever was firing must be firing with an automatic rifle because of the rapidity of the shots; a very short period of time.

Back up the Zapruder film 10 seconds from the head shot. Zapruder's camera recorded 18.3 frames per second. According to Connally's shortest duration estimate the first shot was at frame 313-18.3*10 = 130. The assassination sequence of the Zapruder doesn't even start until frame 133. According to Connally the first shot was fired before Zapruder started filming.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »

Glad to hear it. Hopefully, you will be able to eventually provide a concise and well-supported description of what you believe did happen, rather than what you do not believe. Then your ideas can also be subject ot the sort of rigorous examination that can establish their probability.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »
Personally, I will not be holding my breath for it.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #434 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »

So have you discovered the locations of the "3 shooters" who made the "6 shots" yet?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett