Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 863823 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1485 on: April 23, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
Tell me about it.  In the Bay Area, the first rains seem to call for, "Drive faster!  My car might get wet!"

Especially during the first few hours, when all that oil rises out of the pavement in a rainbow sheen, and cars slide through intersections like bumper cars at the Boardwalk.

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #1486 on: April 23, 2013, 02:42:21 PM »
Tell me about it.  In the Bay Area, the first rains seem to call for, "Drive faster!  My car might get wet!"

Especially during the first few hours, when all that oil rises out of the pavement in a rainbow sheen, and cars slide through intersections like bumper cars at the Boardwalk.

They wouldn't do too well around these parts, it rains all the time.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1487 on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
Rains all the time here, too; that was my point.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #1488 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
Is your profile location out of date?  The first site that comes up in Google says your average annual rainfall is only 129 cm.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1489 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
Consider a couple of facts.

I grew up in a town with an average annual rainfall of twenty-two inches; my current hometown has over twice that--and is in a rain shadow.  Second, we don't get it all at once.  It probably drizzles three days out of five from September to March, and we get a few heavy falls every year to boot.  I don't know where you're living, but I live in a region known for rain.  That's all most people do seem to know about my region--rain, coffee, and Microsoft.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1490 on: April 24, 2013, 06:20:28 AM »

I grew up in a town with an average annual rainfall of twenty-two inches; my current hometown has over twice that--and is in a rain shadow.  Second, we don't get it all at once.  It probably drizzles three days out of five from September to March, and we get a few heavy falls every year to boot.  I don't know where you're living, but I live in a region known for rain.  That's all most people do seem to know about my region--rain, coffee, and Microsoft.

Build really nice airplanes up that way, too.  :-)

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #1491 on: April 24, 2013, 06:21:59 AM »
Damn those crafty bastards who name things for their function!

Thanks for that I just 'spat' coffee out through my nose!

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #1492 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
Well it continues to throw me. I still have absolutely no idea what the Launch Escape System was actually used for.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1493 on: April 24, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »

Don't forget the giant slugs.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #1494 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1495 on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »

Also, some really nice portable cardiac monitor/defibrillators.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1496 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »

This weekend, I will probably see someone dressed up as one.  Yay, Procession of the Species!

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1497 on: April 24, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
Well it continues to throw me. I still have absolutely no idea what the Launch Escape System was actually used for.

It was to make the rocket extra pointy to help get all that bulk through the air....

Of course, on all Apollo flights except the Little Joe II test flights designed specifically to test the LES, it wasn't actually used for anything, since situations that would require its use didn't arise.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1498 on: April 24, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »

On the Up Goer Five it is the thing to help people escape really fast if there's a problem and everything is on fire so they decide not to go to space.  It works because there is stuff to burn to make the box with the people in is escape really fast. When the stuff burns there is a place on the bottom where the fire comes out to hep them escape and a thing to control which direction the escaping people go. 

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1499 on: April 24, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »

And tree octopus!

The poor things are being hunted to extinction by the Sasquatch.  Something must be done.