Author Topic: Photos of earth  (Read 30653 times)

Offline Photo hound

• Mercury
Photos of earth
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
Why can we see only one photo of earth that was taken from the moon surface? Will somebody show me some photos of earth that the astronauts took.
Why did they not take pictures of earth while standing on the moon surface?

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
Re: Photos of earth
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
There are some photos with the Earth taken from lunar surface. But anyway you should remember, Apollo was a mission to the Moon to examine the lunar surface, not the lunar sky.
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
Why can we see only one photo of earth that was taken from the moon surface? Will somebody show me some photos of earth that the astronauts took.

There were several. In addition to the ones from Apollo 17 with the flag in them, Gene took some pictures of earth from the base of South Massif near Nansen. (Station 2, I believe?)
Al Shepard took nine pictures of the earth with the LM in them. I believe it was Apollo 12 which also got a couple with the LM. There are probably others.

And of course, there are several pictures of the earth from lunar orbit, with the moon in the foreground. Apollo 8 and 14 among them, IIRC.

Sorry I don't have the catalog numbers right now, but that's a start. I've got some things to do before looking them up. I'm sure others will provide some.
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »

There is more than one..

Here is one from Apollo 11 for instance.. (AS11-40-5923)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:43:58 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
For one thing, there's more than one photo taken on the Moon that shows the Earth. I don't have the time or inclination to go looking for them right now.

The biggest point is they didn't go all the way to Moon to take a bunch pictures of the Earth, they obviously went there to explore and photograph the Moon.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Apollo 14

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
This is one from Lunar Orbit Apollo 15

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:14:01 PM by Bryanpoprobson »

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
and of course the famous Apollo 17 one, not to mention all the Earthrise ones taken from Lunar Orbit.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:27:06 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »
There are also several views of Earth filmed by the rover's TV cameras.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »

Well, can you tell me first why they should have taken pictures of Earth while standing on the Moon?

We already had lots of pictures of the Earth from space. It wasn't going to look much different. Why should they have wasted precious time and film on pictures that would not have given a particularly good view of Earth from space?

This is a serious question. If you are more than a drive-by poster, please answer it.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
You also have to consider, with a chest-mounted camera, just how difficult it was to get shots of anything above horizon level - something you can also see on the rover TV footage.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
You also have to consider, with a chest-mounted camera, just how difficult it was to get shots of anything above horizon level - something you can also see on the rover TV footage.
Yes.

I imagine in order to take the photo of Harrison Schmidt, the Flag and the Earth  that Bryanprorobson posted in Reply#8, that Gene Cernan would have had to have leaned back quote some way.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
Cernan was essentially kneeling on the ground in order to get the right angle.  For most of the landing sites, Earth was more or less directly overhead.  It wasn't an easy shot to get, nor a shot considered especially important or desirable.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
Why can we see only one photo of earth that was taken from the moon surface?

Why do you believe that there's only one?

Will somebody show me some photos of earth that the astronauts took.

Click me

They did.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov