Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 426525 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1830 on: January 06, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »
Where is the National Guard? I read they have been deployed but I haven't seen anyone.

I am wondering if there are Trumpians in the NG command, and they have refused to take action?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1831 on: January 06, 2021, 04:31:27 PM »
The D.C. National Guard is under the authority of the President, not the D.C. Mayor.  Reports vary about whether they have or will be called out.  The D.C. Mayor has requested troops from nearby Virginia to restore order; the Virginia governor has supplied them.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1832 on: January 06, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »
There is a coup being attempted at this very moment in Washington DC, and it was encouraged by Donald Trump. I want the people who thought I was overreacting when I sounded the alarm about Donald Trump for four years to tell me I was wrong to do so.

I don't believe you were wrong. I think he is an American Hitler.

I believe he certainly has the potential to be that, or at least the American Putin, if he isn't removed from office.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1833 on: January 06, 2021, 05:12:05 PM »
And there are reports that the Democrats have won the second Georgia runoff, so they will have control of the Senate.

Great news!

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1834 on: January 06, 2021, 05:13:05 PM »
And reports that new articles of impeachment are being drawn up? Surely nothing can happen before Trump is kicked out of office on 20 Jan?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1835 on: January 06, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »
And reports that new articles of impeachment are being drawn up? Surely nothing can happen before Trump is kicked out of office on 20 Jan?

I think there is time for the House to impeach, but not for the trial in the Senate.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #1836 on: January 06, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »

I think there is time for the House to impeach, but not for the trial in the Senate.

Ilhan Omar has tweeted that she's drawing up articles of impeachment.  I see no reason why the Senate couldn't expedite, as this is pretty damned egregious. 

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1837 on: January 06, 2021, 05:32:08 PM »
Any action to instigate a trial in the Senate would be presided over by Mike Pence.  While the 117th Congress convened three days ago, Mike Pence is still its President until he leaves office on Jan. 20.  And he would still have the deciding vote, should the Senate vote along party lines (50-50) as the final vote to remove.  Practical Democrat control of the Senate doesn't occur until Kamala Harris takes office as the Vice President on Jan. 20 and becomes the tie-breaking vote.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:35:22 PM by JayUtah »
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1838 on: January 06, 2021, 05:35:17 PM »
Maybe the current Republican Senators will agree to impeach him now...?

lol yeah right.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #1839 on: January 06, 2021, 06:04:20 PM »

Ilhan Omar has tweeted that she's drawing up articles of impeachment.  I see no reason why the Senate couldn't expedite, as this is pretty damned egregious.

Just to remove him from office a week early? Not worth the effort even if 67 senators could be convinced. Removal by the 25th amendment is the more plausible mechanism should things further escalate.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1840 on: January 06, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »
Mitt Romney looks, in the footage I'm seeing, angry enough to go for it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #1841 on: January 06, 2021, 09:56:14 PM »

Just to remove him from office a week early? Not worth the effort even if 67 senators could be convinced. Removal by the 25th amendment is the more plausible mechanism should things further escalate.

First, given today’s actions, he cannot be allowed to remain office 14 more minutes, much less 14 more days.  He is actively fomenting insurrection and sedition.  God forbid he decides to play with the football.

The problem with the 25th is that there are too many steps - first, the VP and majority of the Cabinet inform Congress that the President is unfit.  The President can respond with "am not" and resumes his duties, at which point Congress votes to remove him. 

Might as well skip the preliminaries and go straight to Congress.  Also, if he is impeached, the Senate cannot only remove him from office, but bar him from holding office again.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1842 on: January 06, 2021, 10:04:23 PM »
If impeachment is started whilst still holding the office of President (to hostage), can proceedings continue after he has left office? So they CAN prevent him running in 2024?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1843 on: January 06, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »
First, given today’s actions, he cannot be allowed to remain office 14 more minutes, much less 14 more days.  He is actively fomenting insurrection and sedition.

I agree completely, but doesn't impeachment require the Senate to provide a defense for Trump, like in a trial? Can it really be fast tracked in less than 2 weeks?

I also don't think removing Trump from office will prevent a further insurrection. If you ban him from social media and throw him in prison,  it will just inflame the situation. But then again, doing anything other than giving him a second term will lead to more sedition from his followers, so you might as well throw the book at him and deal with the inevitable unrest.

God forbid he decides to play with the football.

Hopefully someone will take matters into their own hands to prevent that.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #1844 on: January 07, 2021, 01:22:48 AM »
If impeachment is started whilst still holding the office of President (to hostage), can proceedings continue after he has left office? So they CAN prevent him running in 2024?

The sole result of impeachment conviction is removal from office. To the best of my knowledge that doesn't preclude running for president again, though that's obviously never been an issue under consideration before.