Off Topic > Other Conspiracy Theories

Flat Earth

<< < (22/23) > >>

Allan F:

--- Quote from: Glom on February 23, 2020, 05:44:37 AM ---Will his death lead to conspiracy theories that he was silenced?

It seems like it might have been better for him to succeed and see for himself. It would have been the most satisfactory smashing of a person's dogma since Mike Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit was forced to confront the reality that non-linearity is not the alpha and omega of a good Zelda dungeon.

On the other hand, cognitive dissonance may have led to him interpreting what he saw as a flat disc and so he would have more 'credibility' to spout his nonsense. A family friend was once very insistent that when her flight went into a hold, it stopped dead in the air despite attempts by others to explain what was really going on.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

He would never reach an altitude, where he could see anything conclusive. It would be much cheaper and SAFER to just by an airplaneticket and look out the window. Which would still not be conclusive. Commercial flights don't reach an altitude which is high enough. His experiment was not suited to his purpose - at least as far as proving/disproving a flat Earth. I suspect his real purpose was the "fame and fortune".

As Scott Manley would say "Check yo' stagin'".

Glom:

--- Quote from: Allan F on February 23, 2020, 01:40:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Glom on February 23, 2020, 05:44:37 AM ---Will his death lead to conspiracy theories that he was silenced?

It seems like it might have been better for him to succeed and see for himself. It would have been the most satisfactory smashing of a person's dogma since Mike Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit was forced to confront the reality that non-linearity is not the alpha and omega of a good Zelda dungeon.

On the other hand, cognitive dissonance may have led to him interpreting what he saw as a flat disc and so he would have more 'credibility' to spout his nonsense. A family friend was once very insistent that when her flight went into a hold, it stopped dead in the air despite attempts by others to explain what was really going on.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

He would never reach an altitude, where he could see anything conclusive. It would be much cheaper and SAFER to just by an airplaneticket and look out the window. Which would still not be conclusive. Commercial flights don't reach an altitude which is high enough. His experiment was not suited to his purpose - at least as far as proving/disproving a flat Earth. I suspect his real purpose was the "fame and fortune".

As Scott Manley would say "Check yo' stagin'".

--- End quote ---

He would also say, "fly safe" so clearly this guy wasn't a subscriber.

Nowhere Man:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on February 22, 2020, 10:59:10 PM ---Close the entries: This has to win the Darwin award for 2020, hands down.

--- End quote ---
I have seen this proposal a few times already.  The guy was 64, old enough to have had children.  Does anyone know if he did?  If so, he didn't qualify.

Fred

smartcooky:

--- Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 24, 2020, 07:53:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: smartcooky on February 22, 2020, 10:59:10 PM ---Close the entries: This has to win the Darwin award for 2020, hands down.

--- End quote ---
I have seen this proposal a few times already.  The guy was 64, old enough to have had children.  Does anyone know if he did?  If so, he didn't qualify.

Fred

--- End quote ---

Nope, that is a common misconception, and is not how the Rules of the Darwin Awards work...

"The existence of offspring, though potentially deleterious to the gene pool, does not disqualify a nominee. Children inherit only half of each parent's genetic material and thus have their own chance to survive or snuff themselves. If, for instance, the offspring has inherited the "Play With Combustibles" gene, but also has inherited the "Use Caution When..." gene, then she is a potential innovator and asset to the human race. Therefore, each nominee is judged based on whether or not she has removed her own genes, without consideration to the number of offspring or, in the case of an elderly winner, the likelihood of producing more offspring. "

https://darwinawards.com/rules/rules1.html

Zakalwe:

--- Quote from: Jason Thompson on February 22, 2020, 09:52:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: Zakalwe on February 21, 2020, 01:30:44 PM ---Ever seen a virus?
--- End quote ---

Not to hijack the thread because I know what point you're trying to make, but I do love it when people ask this question because, thanks to my quaification and career, I can say: "yes, yes I have. Why?"  ;D

--- End quote ---

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version