Author Topic: Schindler's List  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Schindler's List
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »
The parts in Schindler's list with the girl in the red coat and coloured candles. How did they do have complex shapes moving about in colour while the rest of the film was black and white.

I'm sure it is probably an easy technique today, but way back then, how did they do it?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Schindler's List
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
I have a hard time thinking of 1993 as "way back then."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
I have a hard time thinking of 1993 as "way back then."
Yeaaah......  that phrase kind of made my joints ache.

Now what was I going to say? Damn senior moments... Oh, yeah - coming after Tron, the first three Star Wars movies, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist, Aliens etc and so on, it wasn't exactly a ground breaking special effect.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
Can I ask how either of those posts offered an answer to what was a genuine question on my part?

I'm sure it was not a ground breaking special effect, but I am interested to know as I don't know. I sometimes like to learn new stuff.

My choice of English was slightly tongue in cheek. I don't consider the phrase I used has any bearing on the outcome of the discussion. Please desist with making comments about phrases I use in written form, my choice of words was non consequential to you as people, so consider the impact that you may have on me. You both came across as being mocking, whether it was intended or not.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 04:03:38 PM »
Can I ask how either of those posts offered an answer to what was a genuine question on my part?

I'm sure it was not a ground breaking special effect, but I am interested to know as I don't know. I sometimes like to learn new stuff.

My choice of English was slightly tongue in cheek. I don't consider the phrase I used has any bearing on the outcome of the discussion. Please desist with making comments about phrases I use in written form, my choice of words was non consequential to you as people, so consider the impact that you may have on me. You both came across as being mocking, whether it was intended or not.

It'll be done in editing. I assume that the movie was either shot digitally or scanned in. A digital editing suite would then desaturate all colours except the red (and shades of red).

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »

It'll be done in editing. I assume that the movie was either shot digitally or scanned in. A digital editing suite would then desaturate all colours except the red (and shades of red).

Thank you for the reply, it is how I would envisage this effect would be easily achieved today. If I recall correctly similar effects before digital editing would have been performed using a frame by frame colouring technique, but the Schindler effect looks integral to the image.

It made me wonder how it was done in the absence of digital technology. I made various incorrect assumptions about editing capability in the early 1990s. The time line of film editing capability is not my forte.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »
You both came across as being mocking, whether it was intended or not.

Bluntly, you're lucky you didn't get a lecture from me on the history of film. 
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »

A little testy this morning are we?  Friendly banter seems to be well supported traditions around here during slow times.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Tanalia

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
From an article on how Spielburg's cinematographer got certian shots:

Kaminski shot most of the film on black-and-white emulsion, save for the sequences featuring the little girl with the red dress, which were shot in color emulsion and then painstakingly desaturated in a process called rotoscoping, which Kaminski describes as "an old version of CGI, except each frame was done by hand."

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »

No need to be cranky, but I am sorry if I offended. My main points were that (a) jokingly, thinking of 1993 as "way back" made me feel old, and (b) lots of fancy visual effects were in use back then. This particular effect, as Tanalia said, was done by 'rotoscoping', projecting the sequence frame-by-frame, hand drawing a matte around the part to be left in color, then desaturating the color on the rest of the frame.

Bonus trivia: The rotoscoping technique was used at least as far back as 1937. In Disney's Snow White, live actors were filmed, then animation frames were hand drawn over each frame; this is why the animated characters were so lifelike in their movements. It could be thought of as a predecessor of the motion-capture technique used for Gollum, et al.

Again, apologies if I offended.  We joke around a lot here and that was the spirit in which it was intended.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz