Author Topic: Gillian's Canyon Wash Story  (Read 4644 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Gillian's Canyon Wash Story
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:03:02 PM »
This is an amusing story that I wanted to share, but I didn't want to clutter up the thread where it came up.  So here we are.

Many years ago, perhaps back in the '50s, somebody decided that he wanted to build a restaurant in Pasadena, California.  But even then, land in Pasadena wasn't the cheapest.  The one place he was somehow able to buy cheap land was in the middle of the Eaton Canyon Wash.

For those unfamiliar with what a canyon wash is, it's where all the rain from a canyon drains on those rare occasions when there's rain to drain.  Eaton Canyon is a rather large canyon adjacent to Altadena and Pasadena where I went hiking a fair amount as a child.  Their visitors' center used to have a stuffed passenger pigeon, before it burned to the ground in the mid '90s during a brush fire.  Most years, the canyon wash doesn't see that much flooding, though there's always at least some.  But in any year with severe rainstorms, what you get isn't so much flooding as flooding with extra boulders.  So any building put up in the wash itself gets pretty well destroyed.

The guy collected on his insurance and rebuilt.  Still in the canyon wash.  Amazingly, the same thing happened again.  According to what I was told as a child, he tried to rebuild a third time.  Still in the canyon wash.  Not even Lloyd's of London would insure him, because the guy met the non-technical definition of insanity, not actually said by Einstein--"doing the same thing while expecting a different result."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Gillian's Canyon Wash Story
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
Not even Lloyd's of London would insure him, because the guy met the non-technical definition of insanity, not actually said by Einstein--"doing the same thing while expecting a different result."

That part made me giggle, I like the Einstein quote.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
Reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.

But the fourth one stayed up!"
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »

"All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.

My favourite part of Holy Grail - She's a witch

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »

"I wish I had said that."

"You will, Oscar, you will."

:D
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.