Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 496615 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #1020 on: January 24, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
What is AC, DC?
Alternating current and direct current. These terms come from the fact that the cosine transform used here is a sibling of the Fourier transform used on electrical signals. Each "bin" in the output of a Fourier transform gives the amplitude of a certain frequency contained in it, with bin 0 giving the direct current component (i.e., the average of all the input samples). If you give it a DC input, only transform bin 0 will have a non-zero value.

That is why I asked if Jay had found his original images, TIFF I think he said
Right, though I do believe even TIFF images can be optionally compressed. But I think only lossless schemes are used, which would be OK for your purpose here.

Now you know HB's will use any procedure if it lends a credence to their argument. :)
Believe me, I know. And you can imagine how successful I am trying to explain the innards of a complex algorithm like JPEG compression and why it explains what they're seeing without the need to resort to an elaborate conspiracy theory. As elaborate as it may be, it's still simpler (in their minds) than reality, which is why they like it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:25:11 AM by ka9q »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1021 on: January 24, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
What is AC, DC?
Alternating current and direct current. These terms come from the fact that the cosine transform used here is a sibling of the Fourier transform used on electrical signals. Each "bin" in the output of a Fourier transform gives the amplitude of a certain frequency contained in it, with bin 0 giving the direct current component (i.e., the average of all the input samples). If you give it a DC input, only transform bin 0 will have a non-zero value.

That is why I asked if Jay had found his original images, TIFF I think he said
Right, though I do believe even TIFF images can be optionally compressed. But I think only lossless schemes are used, which would be OK for your purpose here.

Now you know HB's will use any procedure if it lends a credence to their argument. :)
Believe me, I know. And you can imagine how successful I am trying to explain the innards of a complex algorithm like JPEG compression and why it explains what they're seeing without the need to resort to an elaborate conspiracy theory. As elaborate as it may be, it's still simpler (in their minds) than reality, which is why they like it.
OMG, I know that in electrical concerns what AC and DC are, but I thought we were discussing a compression scheme to create images, not knowing that they are "used" in those compression algorithms.
Thanks
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1022 on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
OMG, I know that in electrical concerns what AC and DC are, but I thought we were discussing a compression scheme to create images, not knowing that they are "used" in those compression algorithms.
Thanks
Well, this comes from the fact that in analog television, images are scanned column by column and line by line into an electrical waveform that represents the brightness of each pixel in turn. If the scene is completely flat (all pixels have the same value), then the video waveform will be a constant voltage: pure DC (ignoring synchronization pulses, of course).

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1023 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »
Thanks
Well, this comes from the fact that in analog television, images are scanned column by column and line by line into an electrical waveform that represents the brightness of each pixel in turn. If the scene is completely flat (all pixels have the same value), then the video waveform will be a constant voltage: pure DC (ignoring synchronization pulses, of course).
Old dogs learn new tricks!
Thanks
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1024 on: January 24, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »

The most common one being Lempel Ziv Welch (LZW) compression. a lossless, table-based lookup algorithm.

LZW compression comes as a standard option with Photoshop since at least Version 4.0.

With 16 colour depth images it often does not make file sizes smaller, but it does make the load/save times longer, sometimes by as much as 800%. With 8 bit images, it does reduce file size by about 30 to 60% but the load/save times are dramatically longer. A typical uncompressed TIF that takes perhaps 250ms to open in Photoshop, could take as long as 20 seconds to open if it is LZW compressed.

Another more recent type is ZIP image compression... it compresses somewhat smaller than LZW but the downsides are even longer load/save times and incompatibility with older software.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1025 on: January 24, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »
For Jack White, (by appearances; I rarely looked at the actual histograms), he was mostly fiddling with the "levels" sliders in PhotoShop. Generally bringing detail from the low end up to where it is more obvious (especially on a poorly adjusted monitor) but he also seemed to be ramping the high end to where a big chunk of values were crammed together by clipping. Almost every image he had his hands on showed a ton of mid-range noise and highlights digitally blown out, way out into the fringes of what got caught in the JPEG averaging blocks.

Didn't help that he started with third or fourth party over-compressed images, and inevitably saved them back for display on his associated sites at extreme levels of compression.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1026 on: February 18, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
How nice of Mr Sibrel, he has re-uploaded the video of THE punch in HD.. What a shame he doesn't allow comments on his videos, I could watch it all day..

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1027 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »
How nice of Mr Sibrel, he has re-uploaded the video of THE punch in HD.. What a shame he doesn't allow comments on his videos, I could watch it all day..

Not allowing comments is a telling trait!!
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1028 on: February 19, 2016, 01:21:57 PM »

Not allowing comments is a telling trait!!
He seems to have removed the audio where Sibrel says "Did you get that?" to his cameraman.
Typical Sibrelian dishonesty.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1029 on: February 28, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
So another adversary bites the dust, following on the heels of Adrian's (AWE130) departure, his friend and (strange) ally bewaremouse/Reality101/defusingtheagenda has decided to call it a day. This was a strange alliance, Adrian saying we never went and BM saying we went, but hid the discovery of Alien bases and UFO's. These two proved the theory of the "dumbing" down, of the general level of intelligence of hoax believers.

It seems that the prevailing flavour of hoax beliefs resides with the flat Earthist's now. How anyone can fall for that garbage is beyond belief, but they do (sadly) seem to have a healthy following.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1030 on: February 28, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »
I've noticed an upsurge in the Titanic/Olympic switch theory knuckleheads lately.  That one truly baffles me.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1031 on: February 28, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »
I've noticed an upsurge in the Titanic/Olympic switch theory knuckleheads lately.  That one truly baffles me.

I thought that one had gone by the waves (excuse the pun) as pictures from the wreck have proved conclusively it was Titanic.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1032 on: February 28, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »

I thought that one had gone by the waves (excuse the pun) as pictures from the wreck have proved conclusively it was Titanic.
Oh there was another video with poorly altered images  of a C allegedly under one of the welded on letters  of TITANIC.
EDIT: Took one word out of comment.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:36:43 PM by bknight »
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1033 on: February 28, 2016, 12:38:18 PM »
So another adversary bites the dust, following on the heels of Adrian's (AWE130) departure, his friend and (strange) ally bewaremouse/Reality101/defusingtheagenda has decided to call it a day. This was a strange alliance, Adrian saying we never went and BM saying we went, but hid the discovery of Alien bases and UFO's. These two proved the theory of the "dumbing" down, of the general level of intelligence of hoax believers.

It seems that the prevailing flavour of hoax beliefs resides with the flat Earthist's now. How anyone can fall for that garbage is beyond belief, but they do (sadly) seem to have a healthy following.
Raised the overall IQ of infowars for sure.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1034 on: February 28, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »

Far from it. They are still insisting that a switch was as easy as swapping nameplates and dishes, and utterly ignoring the fact that  the names were incised into hull plates and the 401 yard number is all over components of the ship, or even more preposterously, that White Star switched the records of which ship had which yard number. Cuz, you know, Illuminatti.

As is so often the case, physical evidence means nothing to these people.