Author Topic: LM exhausts and the lunar surface  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
LM exhausts and the lunar surface
« on: December 30, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
Just came across this great paper studying the interaction of the the LM exhaust and the lunar surface. Covers video and still photo analysis, and comparison with less on volcanic regolith in Hawaii.  References dust activity after engine cutoff, depth of excavation and more.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2010JE003745/full

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Re: LM exhausts and the lunar surface
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
Another paper here, including physical and numerical modelling

http://scholarsmine.mst.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2931&context=icchge

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »
Thanks for the move LO

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
No problem... sorry for taking so long to do it, I've been swamped at work since before Christmas.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
Spotted an error. Metzger et al talk about NASA doing Stuff for 7 decades. They were only founded 50 years prior to that article. Unless they include NACA of the aerofoil fame in that.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
Spotted an error. Metzger et al talk about NASA doing Stuff for 7 decades. They were only founded 50 years prior to that article. Unless they include NACA of the aerofoil fame in that.

Two very important papers on the interaction between rocket exhaust and lunar regolith and that is all that can be said almost a month after going up?  Especially given the constant calls of no blast crater by the HBs?  One trivial (in context historical nitpick?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »

Two very important papers on the interaction between rocket exhaust and lunar regolith and that is all that can be said almost a month after going up?  Especially given the constant calls of no blast crater by the HBs?  One trivial (in context historical nitpick?
Seems like the newer breed of HB stick to YT, where they don't have to answer questions or provide evidence.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »

Seems like the newer breed of HB stick to YT, where they don't have to answer questions or provide evidence.

Don't forget how easily they can ignore facts that dispute their claims, and how often they say that the answer isn't what "they feel it ought to be"...
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...