Author Topic: TOO MUCH EDUCATION  (Read 93618 times)

Offline Mr Gorsky

• Venus
  • Flying blind on a rocket cycle
    • That Fatal Kiss Music
Re: TOO MUCH EDUCATION
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
No way, that is entirely implausible.  We all know that God mandated 11 players and 4 downs.

Sorry. Genuine football involves 11 players as you say, but the only "down" is where they throw themselves when an opponent almost touches them.

I can attest to moose, in fact a Møøse once bit my sister.

And I will now complete this post at low cost and in a completely different style.
The Optimist: The glass is half full
The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
No way, that is entirely implausible.  We all know that God mandated 11 players and 4 downs.

Sorry. Genuine football involves 11 players as you say, but the only "down" is where they throw themselves when an opponent almost touches them.

I though that was basketball.
I can attest to moose, in fact a Møøse once bit my sister.

And I will now complete this post at low cost and in a completely different style.

I am always glad to meet others who can't resist picking the low hanging fruit. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
Continuing the offtopicness while we await Dak's responses..

As far as I am aware, there is only one deity-endorsed game involving an inflated ball.  That would be one involving no protective gear, no restrictions on use of hands, very few breaks in play, and a simple scoring system where there are no silly results..

here ya go:

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
Great video, those are tough guys.  But that music, I couldn't quite remember who one of the bands was, AB/CD or something.  Weren't they Canadian.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:13:27 PM by Echnaton »

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »
Great video, those are tough guys.  But that music, I couldn't quite remember who one of the bands was, AB/CD or something.  Weren't they Canadian.

:D

Akchewly, the band was from the UK, I think - but no, it wasn't the Oz rock gods AC/DC (pronounced 'ackadacka', BTW).  I understand it wasn't backed by an Oz band because all of our good musicians play football on weekends.. But I do think AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" would have made a nicer bit of background music...

FTR, we *like* Canadians down here - they remind us of us.  Big country, few people, great sense of the ridiculous.  And I could almost watch ice hockey - those blokes might make decent AFL players - with a bit of beefing up, and if they had the guts to take off all that soft padding..

(runs for it..)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2012, 07:50:51 AM »
Only one shape for a sports ball and that is egg shaped, and only one game, that is rugby....... ;)

50,000 Welsh persons on song in one stadium when the old enemy are at bay...... shivers down your spine....

Note to non rugby fans: Old enemy is tongue in cheek, with any luck it will not get bitten off.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
Only one shape for a sports ball and that is egg shaped, and only one game, that is rugby....... ;)

50,000 Welsh persons on song in one stadium when the old enemy are at bay...... shivers down your spine....

Note to non rugby fans: Old enemy is tongue in cheek, with any luck it will not get bitten off.

For sure....none of that nancying American "football" stuff where they run for 8 seconds and then have a rest for 10 minutes.

(Zakalwe lights blue touch paper and runs like hell  ;D ;D)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
For sure....none of that nancying American "football" stuff where they run for 8 seconds and then have a rest for 10 minutes.

That is one of the reasons I don't watch much American football anymore.  But like most of the country, I watch the Super Bowl because of the commercials. 

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »

:D

Akchewly, the band was from the UK, I think - but no, it wasn't the Oz rock gods AC/DC (pronounced 'ackadacka', BTW).

That is funny, because at 4:30, there is this familiar voice screaming "you shook me all night long."

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
That is funny, because at 4:30, there is this familiar voice screaming "you shook me all night long."
Aaargh - you got me!  I musta been concentrating too much on the visuals, and foolish enough to believe the info beneath the video - it only refers to one track by a uk band.  Now that I have listened a bit more carefully, there's lots of different tracks in there...  Geez, there's even a Bitter Sweet Symphony there..

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
Bring back the Flying Wedge I says.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
Now THIS is a sport...

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
"Bubba, you've played every sport there is... football, basketball, baseball, rugby...  What was the toughest one?"

"Golf."

"Golf?  Are you kidding us?  How could golf be the toughest sport for a guy like you?"

"I played defense." (Picture of Bubba leaping for the block as a golfer tees off)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Hurling looks fun!  Bonus points for the Crystal Method soundtrack too.  One of my favorite bands.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

Bloody Six Nations was on pretty late in the evening here :(
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.