Author Topic: Two Reasons Why I Think No Humans Have Walked On The Moon  (Read 13372 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Two Reasons Why I Think No Humans Have Walked On The Moon
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
People ask me how to become a good interpreter of photographs.  Well, there are lots of mathematical techniques we can use to make the data more comprehensible.  But the best advice is simply to pay very close attention to the world around you, especially when nothing exciting is happening.  Too many people want to limit their observations of the world to momentous occurrences or mysterious circumstances.  A proper understanding comes from trying to explain the mundane and disinteresting.

For example, just looking up from my computer screen, I see a peculiar shadow cast on the wall by the edge of the television.  It's a multiple shadow with the inset shadow having a sharp edge.  Now I know from study and experience that fuzzy shadows are cast by wide area light sources, and sharp-edged shadows are caused by more localized "point" sources.  But now I want to know exactly what light sources behind me are causing this.  The "point" light source turns out to be a splash of sunlight on the dining room wall.  The softer light source is simply the diffuse interreflection of sunlight on the white walls.  And I actually ended up being a little surprised because the "point" light source was actually broader in subtended angle (as seen from the edge of the TV) than inferred from the shadow.

Similarly there's a peculiar glow on the walls and ceiling.  It's sun reflecting off the hardwood floor.  You wouldn't think it would be reflective enough, but it is.  These and similar kinds of observations free us from intuition.  Or more accurately, they tune our intuition to incorporate more discoverable behaviors of the natural world.

The notion that the lunar environment presents several challenges to perception is paramount.  The Moon isn't wholly an alien environment.  But just enough to give us pause.  John Young famously noted that it was hard to reconcile the sunlit terrain and the black sky.  Part of him believed it was night, and part believed day.  The attenuation of saturation and contrast with distance was noted by Leonardo in his notebook instructions on painting.  It's absent on the Moon.  The lunar surface is barren, denying the eye things like vegetation to establish scale with distance.   While there is gravity, it's far less than that on Earth, throwing us off balance because the angular rates of falling are too small to notice quickly.  Even people who see craters in photos as embossments rather than depressions are exhibiting a million-year-old predilection for believing light always comes from above.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
One of the first debunking phrases was something like the moon is not the earth
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »
Its my impression that most people who have issues were not round at the time.  Its rare to find someone who was who does.

I was a child living in a remote part of the world at the time but I could still follow the missions.  There were live mission broadcasts from Voice of America, there were daily news papers, with feature articles and specials on Apollo.  There was National Geographic and Life magazines, children's books explaining what we knew about the Moon, what to expect when we got there, how spaceflight worked. There were those gloss Life books on space travel, the planets, the universe, doing much the same thing but at a more adult level.  There were books by Patrick Moore and Arthur Clarke that were more in depth, entering into some of the mathematics.  There were encyclopedia articles (usually not much good because they got out of date so quickly, but the annual summaries were great).  There was even the Apollo documentary feature film at the local cinema (dubbed).

My mind boggles at what resources would have been available to me in North America or Europe!  Certainly a chance to watch live TV and see some of the hardware.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
My main point was to come here and express how extremely valuable I believe our own observations are, and making our own decisions about whether to accept any single piece of data as fake or real.

This is a good start on a skeptical approach.  The heart of which is withholding judgment and seeking out perspectives until one finds an argument to be the better explanation for what is known. 

However skepticism is not how you introduced your thinking.
The second problem I have is my own observations of the pictures and videos of humans on the moon. They look staged and fake to me for more reasons than I would ever want to type. They have always looked fake to me.

You have made a judgment about them of looking fake.  This essentially closes your mind to further inquiry and set up the mental state in which others to prove you wrong.  When in fact the claim of fakery requires a proof by the claimant. 

The more skeptical approach is to look at the photos and say something like, "I don't understand how these could be made on the moon? Or, "I don't understand how these differ from photos shot on earth?" Or, "This looks funny to me, how did that happen?" Responding to not understanding with a question opens up the mind to accept a solution.  That is skepticism in practice. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett