Author Topic: Some words from an ex-Apollo flight controller  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Some words from an ex-Apollo flight controller
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Terry Watson was a flight controller during Apollo. In an Apollo forum, in response to a query regarding the ability of the CSM to be controlled from the ground, he gave some additional info below. I thought it was well worth sharing.

"Our ability to control the CSM/LM didn't change much at all over the Apollo missions. Changing anything in the hardware or software was a very expensive proposition. You couldn't just upload a new flight software version as simply as we can today. Same with the hardware. Things didn't change much with the flight hardware unless there was a serious reason to do so.

As far as monitoring the CSM/LM, things did change on the ground over the program, and I will share a little tidbit that might not be widely known. If you listen to some of the audio tracks of early Apollo, sometimes you will hear the Flight Director asking flight controllers to release any unnecessary displays. This was because the MCC could only generate a total of 28 different display pages at any time. Of course, one display could be monitored at a number of consoles. Each MOCR position was assigned a maximum number of displays that we could request at critical mission phases. I recall the GNC area got 2 displays. The FD request to release some displays would come when one area needed to bring up its maximum number of displays, and some positions or back rooms had brought up additional displays. Now for the reason we were limited to 28 displays…

The CRT display system was a combination of "digital" information, mechanical devices, and video feed. There were 28 machines in the bowels of the MCC that were used to generate each display page. The machines looked pretty much like a locker you might have had in high school. You opened the door, and at the bottom was a CRT facing upward. At the top of the locker was a video camera looking down at the CRT. Just above the CRT was a transparency machine. When a flight controller dialed up a display, the request would be routed to an available machine. The transparency machine would slap a pre-printed slide on top of the CRT, which contained all the data "labels" , display name and MSK number, any graphics, etc. The RTCC would then generate the digital data on the CRT. The video camera at the top of the locker would then transmit the combined information to the MCC consoles that wanted to look at it.

The RTCC, as big as it was, was not able to generate the dynamic telemetry data and all the background text. It wasn't until sometime in the Apollo program, where the display system went all digital. The earlier system was not as clear and crisp, as it went through 2 processes. Additionally, the machines would hang up sometimes and display the wrong background info, and we would notify an RTCC guy to reset it.

The easiest way to tell the early displays is that there were alignment "targets" on the corners of the background slides, and both the slides and the digital data displayed the MSK number. You will see 2 MSK numbers on hardcopies from the earlier system. The all-digital displays were significantly better!"

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
Re: Some words from an ex-Apollo flight controller
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
Details like this are why I love this board almost as much as I love Apollo.  :)
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
Terry Watson was a flight controller during Apollo. In an Apollo forum, in response to a query regarding the ability of the CSM to be controlled from the ground, he gave some additional info below. I thought it was well worth sharing.

The CRT display system was a combination of "digital" information, mechanical devices, and video feed. There were 28 machines in the bowels of the MCC that were used to generate each display page. The machines looked pretty much like a locker you might have had in high school. You opened the door, and at the bottom was a CRT facing upward. At the top of the locker was a video camera looking down at the CRT. Just above the CRT was a transparency machine. When a flight controller dialed up a display, the request would be routed to an available machine. The transparency machine would slap a pre-printed slide on top of the CRT, which contained all the data "labels" , display name and MSK number, any graphics, etc. The RTCC would then generate the digital data on the CRT. The video camera at the top of the locker would then transmit the combined information to the MCC consoles that wanted to look at it.

The RTCC, as big as it was, was not able to generate the dynamic telemetry data and all the background text. It wasn't until sometime in the Apollo program, where the display system went all digital. The earlier system was not as clear and crisp, as it went through 2 processes. Additionally, the machines would hang up sometimes and display the wrong background info, and we would notify an RTCC guy to reset it.

Just wow! That is what I call "seat of the pants" graphics. So rudimentary!!!

The Stupidati think that NASA had the technology to use sophisticated graphics to fake the moon landings, when they were using what amounted to one or two steps above writing data labels on a CRT with a chinagraph!   
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:35:05 PM »
Yes, details like these make me respect those guys even more. It's as if they went to the moon with, uh, stone knives and bearskins. But they still did it.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:17:26 AM »
Yes, details like these make me respect those guys even more. It's as if they went to the moon with, uh, stone knives and bearskins. But they still did it.

Careful ka9q... your inner Spock is showing!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:27:33 AM »
WOW....what a way to produce graphics. They really were on the bleeding edge of what was capable at the time in so many areas.
It makes you laugh when you hear hoaxies talking about NASA using Photoshop to create the photographic record when in reality they were barely able to mix live data with a simple screen template!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 03:55:59 AM »
Weren't they running Windows 68?  <ducks, runs>  :D
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »

The Stupidati think that NASA had the technology to use sophisticated graphics to fake the moon landings, when they were using what amounted to one or two steps above writing data labels on a CRT with a chinagraph!
Rather like Collins's video to the Blunder concerning what was available in the analog technology of the 60's, opposed to the digital age we live in currently.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
I know I'm just echoing here, but wow...that is just amazing. Thanks for sharing that!
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »
Thanks for that Obviousman.

And now something that Turbonium rattled on about several years ago at UM suddenly makes sense. He wrote off Mission Control by saying that what appeared to be data on their screens was just transfers (or something similar - correct me if you're reading this, Big T), making it sound like the people in Mission Control were looking at something like a sophisticated version of an overhead projector rather than actual live, changing numbers.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks for that Obviousman.

And now something that Turbonium rattled on about several years ago at UM suddenly makes sense. He wrote off Mission Control by saying that what appeared to be data on their screens was just transfers (or something similar - correct me if you're reading this, Big T), making it sound like the people in Mission Control were looking at something like a sophisticated version of an overhead projector rather than actual live, changing numbers.
Reading just a screen of data lead to one of the Blunder's observastions.  That mission controllers "would not know if they were reading real data or taped data to re-played later"  This lends to debunking that observation.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan