Author Topic: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander Pre-Launch  (Read 125349 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander Pre-Launch
« Reply #375 on: December 23, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
80's movies. Go fig.

Last year our shop had just come back from a long off-site install. We were all walking slowly (wearily) across the parking lot and without realizing it, had ended up side-by-side. Until one of the lads saw us and called out "Warriors, come out and pla-ay!"

Weirder still was when I was doing a children's theater production (nobody in the cast older than tweens) and one day out of the blue they started quoting from Labyrinth. I'm going, "How do you even know of that movie?"

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #376 on: December 23, 2018, 09:20:23 PM »
Their parents.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #377 on: December 23, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
Well a big "Stink, Stank, Stunk" to everyone.  :)

Will he flounce,
And will he pounce.
Don't worry,
He has many more gifts (ideas)
To bounce.

A sincere Happy, Safe, Peaceful Holidays to Little Jay Lou and the other Guardians of the Galaxy children of Moonville,

Merry Christmas,
Jr.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:36 PM »

Yeah, it's not the number of topics among which you can aimlessly flit that engages people here.  It's the skill and knowledge you can bring to the topics you dwell on.  On the subject of the RCS, you are clearly unskilled and unaware. Care to own that?

And also Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:42:07 PM by JayUtah »
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #379 on: December 24, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »
Science and engineering called. They want a refund.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »

To bounce

Just one would do.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »

Start a new thread and stick to one thought per thread, unless closely associated.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
Start a new thread and stick to one thought per thread, unless closely associated.

Yeah. Most hoax-believers are quite incapable of doing that and our current chew-toy didn't do it. Apollos 11 and 17 in one thread.

Can he improve? Does he have the brains? Can he answer all questions in a timely manner?

Merry Christmas to everyone too, and a big thankyou to LunarOrbit for another year in an excellent forum.

Three-and-a-half-hours of Christmas Day have already passed in my part of the planet.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:50:31 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
Science and engineering called. They want a refund.

So did poetry.  My article about Dr. Seuss had better rhyming.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #384 on: December 24, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »

Yeah. Most hoax-believers are quite incapable of doing that and our current chew-toy didn't do it. Apollos 11 and 17 in one thread.

Can he improve? Does he have the brains? Can he answer all questions in a timely manner?

Merry Christmas to everyone too, and a big thankyou to LunarOrbit for another year in an excellent forum.

Three-and-a-half-hours of Christmas Day have already passed in my part of the planet.

I second all of Kiwi's thoughts.  8)

I don't know if the lad will start a new thread, but hopefully.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
Oh, please no. Multiple threads just gives them more ways to put off responding.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
Oh, please no. Multiple threads just gives them more ways to put off responding.

I agree.  Multiple threads each with its own topic is hardly more accountable than one thread that allows a Gish gallop.  On the topic of stability and reaction control, I suspect he's brought it to closure in his own mind by saying that we have "reasonable points," but that we're still laboring under the yoke of faith.  The latter gives him room to continue believing he is terribly enlightened on the intellectual dimension and still therefore justified in lecturing to us sheeple.  But what really happened is that it was proven to him using his own sources that he is flat out wrong.  Spacecraft guidance is a ruthlessly mathematical pursuit, and he failed the math.  Not only can he not support his specific affirmative claims using the math from his sources (or from any of the sources I named), but he cannot see how the math in his sources actually proves him wrong.  His failure to acknowledge either that he his wrong, or that he lacks the skill to see how others can know he's wrong, is egregious.  On any topic, when someone is simply unwilling to face facts, there is no point following him to another topic.  There is no reason to suppose it won't just turn out the same way.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #387 on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »

I agree.  Multiple threads each with its own topic is hardly more accountable than one thread that allows a Gish gallop.  On the topic of stability and reaction control, I suspect he's brought it to closure in his own mind by saying that we have "reasonable points," but that we're still laboring under the yoke of faith.  The latter gives him room to continue believing he is terribly enlightened on the intellectual dimension and still therefore justified in lecturing to us sheeple.  But what really happened is that it was proven to him using his own sources that he is flat out wrong.  Spacecraft guidance is a ruthlessly mathematical pursuit, and he failed the math.  Not only can he not support his specific affirmative claims using the math from his sources (or from any of the sources I named), but he cannot see how the math in his sources actually proves him wrong.  His failure to acknowledge either that he his wrong, or that he lacks the skill to see how others can know he's wrong, is egregious.  On any topic, when someone is simply unwilling to face facts, there is no point following him to another topic.  There is no reason to suppose it won't just turn out the same way.

Did any of the RCS thruster quads fail on any mission?

ETA: Sorry to have thrown a hornets nest into the forum, I just thought that it would be easier to track and debunk each idea, but if the gallery wants all in one, then so be it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:26:00 PM by bknight »
Eugene Cernan

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #388 on: December 24, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »

This might be more suitable for a separate thread, but Skylab 3 saw issues with two of the four quads. It caused concern that the CSM might not be able to deorbit if an additional quad failed. Not sure if RCS failed on any other missions.

Any thoughts from the hivemind here as to why it wouldn't have been possible, in a contingency situation, to control attitude well enough with either one working quad or the CM RCS to achieve some sort of retrograde burn for deorbit?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #389 on: December 24, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »

I don't recall.  I'd have to review the anomaly reports again for each mission.

ETA: Sorry to have thrown a hornets nest into the forum, I just thought that it would be easier to track and debunk each idea, but if the gallery wants all in one, then so be it.

If we have to cover multiple subjects at once, I agree each should have its own thread.  The question in my mind is whether Jr Knowing has earned the privilege of receiving attention on multiple topics at once.  Since he seems to be using each new subject to distract from the previous one, especially after having been backed into a corner on them, then I vote we press him to finish one topic before starting another.  I'm sure you recall how insistent he was that we look at his Apollo 17 photos after it became apparent he was losing the RCS debate.  He clearly wants to use that tactic.  It's rude and dishonest.