Author Topic: SpaceX Mars colonization plans  (Read 2537 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
SpaceX Mars colonization plans
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »
I'm sure many here have seen Elon Musk's presentation for his plans to colonize Mars. I was skeptical that landing the Falcon 9's first stage booster back on Earth would be doable, especially on a barge so was very impressed when SpaceX pulled it off enough times to show it can be done. However, I must admit to finding a whole lot of what I saw in his presentation to be more of a sales pitch that needs so much to happen on a scale never seen before that I guess I'm skeptical again. For one thing, having 42 engines in the booster stage has me thinking about how well the Russian N1 didn't work out and it only had 30 engines in the first stage. There are many other issues but that one point really stands out for me. How many of those 42 engines are going to be mission ready for the next launch after having the fuel module loaded? Anyway, here's the video:

It will be interesting to see how the next few years go and hopefully, my skepticism is doused again.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: SpaceX Mars colonization plans
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
There are a lot of hurdles to be jumped over, the first being the launch vehicle.  To me the more daunting problems will be the consumable amounts that must be appropriated from the Martian environment, oxygen, water and food stuff.  The astronauts may be vegetarians also.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »
There are many other issues but that one point really stands out for me. How many of those 42 engines are going to be mission ready for the next launch after having the fuel module loaded?

I share your reservations, but as for that section regarding immediately re-using the booster? That has to be pure fantasy, you wouldn't build just one and re-use it immediately. Surely you would have some redundancy and just refurbish boosters between missions. Plus wouldn't you put the tanker in orbit first? Otherwise you would be leaving your colonists, in orbit waiting for a supply mission if there was a glitch.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
I think it would make more sense to put a fueling station in orbit so that the spacecraft with people on board can top up their tanks in one quick stop rather than waiting for three tankers.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)