Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 636856 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1125 on: April 03, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
I come from a time of graph paper and slide rules.

So do I, and so did the Apollo astronauts. They actually carried slide rules on the flights

When plotting data, if you plotted it on logarithmic graphing paper it was actually a logarithmic conversion process.  If you wanted to see your data in a linear plot you could first convert it into logarithms and then plot it on regular graph paper.

And you think you have a mortgage on being around a long time

It was before your time and it might be difficult to come to term with pre-computer technology.

I wasn't and its not, and I'll bet most of the people you are arguing with are a lot older and more experienced in the use of slide rules and pre-computer technology that you realize.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1126 on: April 03, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
Why would you call a scale logarithmic if there are no logarithms used in the scale?

I ask again, how do you determine there are no logarithms used when the only numbers given on the axis are the powers of 10, and plotting them on a log scale makes them come out equidistantly?

HOw exactly are you determining where the numbers between, say, 1 and 10 come on that graph axis?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #1127 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
We have something in common.  We are both old.  The difference is I am a war hero and you are not.

You'll find no one here diminishes your service to your country, and that we hold those that are prepared to sacrifice their lives for our freedoms in high regard.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1128 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »
I come from a time of graph paper and slide rules.  When plotting data, if you plotted it on logarithmic graphing paper it was actually a logarithmic conversion process.  If you wanted to see your data in a linear plot you could first convert it into logarithms and then plot it on regular graph paper.  It was before your time and it might be difficult to come to term with pre-computer technology.

That is not answering my question. How do you tell the difference bwtween the two types of scale you are discussing when the only numbers on the axis are the powers of 10?

You can also tell me what the difference is between plotting the raw data on a log scale and taking the logs of the data and plotting on a inear scale.

And you haven't provided any evidence for any kind of 'exponential' scale that works the way you described.

Don't get your panties all in a bunch.  It is semantical and not worth pursuing.  Those that have betrayed our trust are getting away with their crimes.  We need to act to insure justice is carried out.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1129 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »
The graph on the CraTer web site was self explanatory but for some strange reason you had to download the data convert it and rechart it.  Logic is weak in this one.

I know, right?  What a concept!  Someone actually tried to think for himself instead of just listening to you pontificate.  Data analysis being what he does for a living, he obtained the raw data, rendered it, and verified his conclusions by a proper analysis.

"No, no, no!  Don't do that!  Just look at the graph and believe what I tell you about it!"  That's always been the right way to approach learning, right?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1130 on: April 03, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
We have something in common.  We are both old.  The difference is I am a war hero and you are not.

You'll find no one here diminishes your service to your country, and that we hold those that are prepared to sacrifice their lives for our freedoms in high regard.

I was just pulling your leg to get a rise out of you but thank you.  It was a kind thing to say.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1131 on: April 03, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
"No, no, no!  Don't do that!  Just look at the graph and believe what I tell you about it!"  That's always been the right way to approach learning, right?

That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. You mean I have to analyse the numbers and then apply appropriate science to understand their implications, applying assumptions and caveats in accord with methodology and statistical confidence?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1132 on: April 03, 2018, 08:06:18 PM »

I was just pulling your leg to get a rise out of you but thank you.  It was a kind thing to say.

That wasn't a rise from me. That was genuinely respectful.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1133 on: April 03, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
I am curious.  Is there anyone on this site that believes in any conspiracy theory at all?  Kennedy assassination? 9/11. Sandy Hook, Titanic?  Anything?

I don't claim to speak for everyone, but as this board has evolved over the years it has collected mostly people who don't "believe," period. They agree, provisionally, to those things for which there is a preponderance of evidence.

This is orthogonal to the entire concept of conspiracy theories. If they are well-tested, they are history. Or science.

It is one thing to wonder about the possibility of intelligent life out there (insert obligatory joke). It is entirely another to argue that it must or must not be; at that point you are proposing a hypothesis, and that opens it up to rigorous testing. So come here with the idea of an intangible soul and, sure, some forum members will entertain it alehouse style. Come with a claim that the Earth is flat and that's a testable idea, and people here are, well.....eager to test.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1134 on: April 03, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
I was just pulling your leg to get a rise out of you...

If you admit to occasionally trying to antagonize your critics, why is it a problem that I respond defensively to your posts?  It seems you do have ulterior motives.  And it seems you're trying to shame people into lowering their guard.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1135 on: April 03, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »
A guy once asked me if there was anything he could show me or tell or give to me that would make me believe in God.  After reflecting on it a long moment I told him no, there wasn't.  So he turned around and walked away.  I ask you gentlemen and lady.  Is there anything that I could show you are tell you or give to you that would convince you that you have been deceived?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:12:41 PM by timfinch »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #1136 on: April 03, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »
A guy once asked me if there was anything he could show me or tell or give to me that would make me believe in God.  After reflecting on it a long moment I told him no, there wasn't.  So he turned around and walked away.  I ask you gentlemen and lady.  Is there anything that I could show you are tell you or give to you that would convinced you that you have been deceived?

Yes, you could show me the CRaTER graph and tell me you interpreted the scale correctly. That would make me feel deceived given your complete lack of basic mathematical understanding while claiming expertise on complex matters of ionising radiation. So yes, you could show me that with your claims, that would invoke feelings of deception on my part.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1137 on: April 03, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
A guy once asked me if there was anything he could show me or tell or give to me that would make me believe in God.  After reflecting on it a long moment I told him no, there wasn't.  So he turned around and walked away.  I ask you gentlemen and lady.  Is there anything that I could show you are tell you or give to you that would convinced you that you have been deceived?

Yes, you could show me the CRaTER graph and tell me you interpreted the scale correctly. That would make me feel deceived given your complete lack of basic mathematical understanding while claiming expertise on complex matters of ionising radiation. So yes, you could show me that with your claims, that would invoke feelings of deception on my part.
Easy enough....

http://crater-web.sr.unh.edu/products.php?numplots=1&durationtype=span&ProductG111=doserates&SepGcrAllType111=all&InvCombG111=doserates_combined&DaysRangeG111=Alldays&syncdate=yes&StartEndGroup111=end&doy111=085&yeargroup111=2017&s

I have analyzed this correctly.

I feel so relieved.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1138 on: April 03, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
It was a kind thing to say.

Was and is, and heartfelt even though it wasn't me who said it.  I've lost family members in the service in armed conflict over many years, beginning with Vietnam.  My best friend later was killed in the first Gulf War over Iraq (USAF).  My sister is a West Point graduate and served as an MP.  I have a brother-in-law on active duty in the Navy, deployed out of Bahrain.  I have another brother-in-law in the Army reserves.  My career as an engineer has involved many contracts with the U.S. Dept. of Defense.  No, I don't consider that equivalent to serving in harm's way, but in my opinion you diminish the honor of your service by using it in such a flippant way.  Unless being a war hero somehow gives you the proper knowledge to interpreta radiation data, let's leave that alone.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1139 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
I have analyzed this correctly.

No.