Author Topic: Kapton film  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
Kapton film
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
Anybody,
this is a question from a friend:

Anybody know if there was only one version of Kapton film used on the LM? I got lured in by a hoax-nut, VanSevenZ, who asked why they covered the LM with "tinfoil" then came back with teeth bared. He offered this photo

www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/images/print/AS11/40/5919.jpg

as evidence that NASA lied about the Kapton blanket being 26-ply. Personally, it looks like the material that's pulled back is gold on one side, silver on the other (like it should be), exposing something else underneath. I think they used different thicknesses for different applications. Even if they used a "thick" 5 mil material, could you tell it was multi-layer from the photo he referenced?

With the NTS down, the best link I've found on Kapton was here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/6861117148/

There's a diagram from a NASA Tech Note (possibly TN D-7564) and a link to a good source on Google Books.

Really not my cup of tea... :-(

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Kapton film
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
The short answer is that no, Grumman did not use the same films at the same ply on all areas of the lunar module.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:22:38 AM »
See LMA790-3-LM 10 Apollo Operations Handbook - Lunar Module - Vol I - Subsystems Data dated 1 April 1971, page 1-14 para 1.2.2.6; all the details you want. That particular publication details LM10 and subsequent; for LM8 and LM9 see LMA790-3-LM 8 dated 15 June 1970.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
Thanks a lot.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
I'm just happy it was a contemporaneous reference. You never can be too sure these days what with MKUltra, Magic Bunyips, and the like.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline armillary

• Mercury
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »
You forget the Ninja Drop Bears.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
I think we all forget the Ninja Drop Bears, and that's our main problem.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
I'm just happy it was a contemporaneous reference. You never can be too sure these days what with MKUltra, Magic Bunyips, and the like.

Actually, the friend of my son which studies via internet looked at this hoax thingy and he concluded that much of the Apollo footage was sped up because everyone knows that NASA slowed down the video from the moon to make it look like it was on the moon because it was really filmed on a sound stage at Area51 by mister Kubrick under orders from the Grey Aliens and hidden by the Bavarian Illuminati and kept secret using the Orbital Mind Control Lasers used by the men in black and the CIA!

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »
Maybe you should look into the friends your son have.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »

;D

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

;D

They obviously have way too much time on their hands.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

;D

They obviously have way too much time on their hands.

Too much time, too much YouTube and way too much iPhone.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 09:30:34 PM »
Man, I am tired. I saw this and started wondering who Kapton was and what kind of hoax movie he made.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »

Actually, the friend of my son which studies via internet looked at this hoax thingy and he concluded that much of the Apollo footage was sped up because everyone knows that NASA slowed down the video from the moon to make it look like it was on the moon because it was really filmed on a sound stage at Area51 by mister Kubrick under orders from the Grey Aliens and hidden by the Bavarian Illuminati and kept secret using the Orbital Mind Control Lasers used by the men in black and the CIA!
All funded by the Rothschilds and/or the Rockefellers. Supported by a mysterious Kenyan king with the initials BHO.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »
Actually, the Kapton Foil, is a plot device used in the ancient art of story telling. When a character starts taking the limelight, a "kapton foil" is used to throw their success in disarray.