Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Emergency ejection of CM during the launch phase.

(1/9) > >>

BILLR:
How would this process play out?(on Apollo). I know the  commander had physical control in case of this event. How would this work in regards to procedures for the flight crew? Was there any point of flight in which the system was automatic or was it always at the commanders discertion.

raven:
Unless you have some ulterior motive behind these questions, this would probably do better in the sub forum below this one.
Welcome to the Apollhoax forum, by the way. :)

Glom:

--- Quote from: BILLR on October 13, 2012, 02:11:17 AM ---How would this process play out?(on Apollo). I know the  commander had physical control in case of this event. How would this work in regards to procedures for the flight crew? Was there any point of flight in which the system was automatic or was it always at the commanders discertion.

--- End quote ---

You refer to the Mode I abort? The launch escape tower would lift the CM away from the space vehicle and it would then parachute into the sea. Not really sure how much flying there was to be done.

Jason Thompson:
This is probably better off in the 'reality' section.

--- Quote from: BILLR on October 13, 2012, 02:11:17 AM ---How would this process play out?(on Apollo).
--- End quote ---

Once the abort is initiated the escape rocket fires, and small canards emerge from the top of the escape tower to provide some measure of stability and control. The Cm is separated and carried away. once the tower rocket motor burns out the tower and BPC are discarded, the parachutes on the Cm open and the CM drifts slowly back down to land in the sea. Recovery forces then pick up the crew.

--- Quote ---I know the  commander had physical control in case of this event. How would this work in regards to procedures for the flight crew?
--- End quote ---

They just had to sit tight. There was little to do except pull the abort handle to initiate the abort, then sit back and ride it out.

--- Quote ---Was there any point of flight in which the system was automatic or was it always at the commanders discertion.

--- End quote ---

The abort system had pressure sensors inside the various stages of the rocket, the idea being that a recorded sudden drop in pressure would indicate that the launch vehicle was breaking up. This would trigger an automatic abort, since the breakup would proceed too rapidly and catastrophically for the crew to react to in time to execute the move. The first test of the abort system was an inadvertent test of the automatic sequencer, as the little Joe II rocket started an uncontrolled roll and broke up. The abort motor triggered successfully. It wasn't what they were trying to test, but it did at least provide usueful data.

BILLR:
Thanks guys. I did not notice the reality section. I have alot of questions on mission details. Reading thru flightdeck voice transcripts kind of does that to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version