Author Topic: Here is one for the space junkies unanimous meeting  (Read 10966 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Here is one for the space junkies unanimous meeting
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
NASA has a soundcloud page. 

Here are examples of the sounds. 

Rocket Engine Sounds

SLS Test Fire

Atlas V: Launch

J-2X Test Fire

Apollo Sounds

Apollo 8: Merry Christmas

Apollo 11: We Have a Lift-Off

Apollo 11: Eagle Has Landed (Extended)

Apollo 11: Eagle Has Landed

Apollo 12: Cardiac Sim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:46:09 AM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
Re: Here is one for the space junkies unanimous meeting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
"Sorry, we can't find that user." Is it country specific? (I'm in Canada).

EDIT: Interesting. A search for NASA yields their page - which has exactly the URL you specified. Something odd with their system, then.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:29:14 PM by grmcdorman »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
Is your link also https?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
Yep. Click on his link, enter 'nasa' in the search field, click on the first item in the list. The address in the URL bar is https://soundcloud.com/nasa, which is exactly what he has above.

His link is working now, though; must have been a glitch either at my end or their end.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
I confess to having the quindar tones as my email alert. I never tire of explaining to the puzzled what it is. The puzzled usually tire of it pretty quickly.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Much appreciated Echnaton. Some great sounds. The Voyager Interstellar plasma reminds me of the Alien franchise. Quite spooky.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Here is Jodrell Bank's "Pulsar Sounds" page

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/research/pulsar/Education/Sounds/

When you hear the speed of the pulses you really get a sense of how fast these stars are spinning, and what an enormous gravity well they must be in. Its only this massive gravity that keeps them from flying apart -

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »

When you hear the speed of the pulses you really get a sense of how fast these stars are spinning, and what an enormous gravity well they must be in. Its only this massive gravity that keeps them from flying apart -

Jodrell Bank is not far from me. The pulsar sounds are in the visitors' centre. The place is amazing. To think they tracked the Eagle to the lunar surface and even have a little Doppler shift in their radio signals that is consistent with the LM's flight as they made their way over the boulder field. Great place to visit if you ever have a chance.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »

Jodrell Bank is not far from me. The pulsar sounds are in the visitors' centre. The place is amazing. To think they tracked the Eagle to the lunar surface and even have a little Doppler shift in their radio signals that is consistent with the LM's flight as they made their way over the boulder field. Great place to visit if you ever have a chance.

Visited there in 1988.

I have an edited version of the audio of the Apollo11 landing. They were also tracking Luna 15 which was arriving at the Moon around the same time. You hear the voice of Bernard Lovell speaking on the audio.

It must have been exciting to be in that control room at that time.

You can listen to it here

http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/multimedia/audio/luna15-apollo11.html

I would love to hear the whole unedited version.

ETA: I wonder if the LRO has found the Luna 15 crash site. They have imaged all the Apollo landing sites, and some of the Russian ones; the sample return missions (Luna 13, Luna 23 and Luna 24) and two Lunokhod missions Luna 17,   

and Luna 21

But I cant find Luna 15 mentioned anywhere in relation to LRO.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:05:17 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:15:13 AM »
What exactly was Jodrell Bank listening to? At the beginning you can hear both Collins and McCandless (Capcom) at MET 078:57:50.

If they were listening to the CSM downlink they should only have heard Apollo, not the Capcom. Uplink voice is not returned on the downlink, otherwise there'd be an annoying echo. The CSM's FM transmitter was on at the time, but unlike the LM it only transmitted video; voice was still on the PM downlink.

Quindar tones were notched out of the uplink so the astronauts wouldn't hear them, but (as everyone knows) they were present in the feeds NASA supplied to the news media and the world. Yet we don't hear them on McCandless, which implies they weren't listening to that same feed.

So how did they hear McCandless? I doubt they had a second receiver listening to the moon's reflection of the uplink but that's conceivable.

Edited to add: listening to the relative timings of the Capcom and Apollo, and comparing them to the recordings made at Houston, I'm thinking that maybe Jodrell Bank indeed had a second receiver listening to the moon's passive reflection of the uplink signal.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:30:15 AM by ka9q »

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »
Oooooh. Nice, thanks for the link. Turning my stereo to 11......

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Oooooh. Nice, thanks for the link. Turning my stereo to 11......

Can't you just make it as loud as 11 and call it 10?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
What exactly was Jodrell Bank listening to? At the beginning you can hear both Collins and McCandless (Capcom) at MET 078:57:50.

If they were listening to the CSM downlink they should only have heard Apollo, not the Capcom. Uplink voice is not returned on the downlink, otherwise there'd be an annoying echo. The CSM's FM transmitter was on at the time, but unlike the LM it only transmitted video; voice was still on the PM downlink.

Quindar tones were notched out of the uplink so the astronauts wouldn't hear them, but (as everyone knows) they were present in the feeds NASA supplied to the news media and the world. Yet we don't hear them on McCandless, which implies they weren't listening to that same feed.

So how did they hear McCandless? I doubt they had a second receiver listening to the moon's reflection of the uplink but that's conceivable.

Edited to add: listening to the relative timings of the Capcom and Apollo, and comparing them to the recordings made at Houston, I'm thinking that maybe Jodrell Bank indeed had a second receiver listening to the moon's passive reflection of the uplink signal.

Well, the whole thing was broadcast "live and uninterrupted" on the VOA Shortwave Service, so they could have been listening to that.

We listened to that broadcast in NZ

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
Well, the whole thing was broadcast "live and uninterrupted" on the VOA Shortwave Service, so they could have been listening to that.
But that would probably have included the Quindar tones, and we didn't hear them. Also, the relative timings of the Capcom and Apollo astronauts would match the recordings made at Houston and available on the AFJ and ALSJ. They don't.

The Quindar tones were used to mute and unmute the uplink transmitter. Because a long series of analog phone lines connected Houston to the uplink station, background noise on those lines would ordinarily be continuously transmitted to the astronauts. The Quindar tones, generated at Houston, activated and deactivated a muting relay at the uplink transmitter so that any phone line noise would be transmitted only when a Capcom was actually talking.

The Quindar tones were removed at the uplink station with a pair of narrow audio notch filters (note the key and unkey tones have slightly different pitches). So the beeps that made NASA so distinctive were, ironically, not heard by the astronauts.

The fact that we didn't hear the Quindar tones in the Jodrell Bank recordings strongly suggests we were hearing the actual uplink transmission. The short pause between one of McCandless's comments and Apollo's reply pretty much confirms we were hearing the uplink via the moon. It certainly should have worked; the uplink was a very powerful signal, and enough would have reflected off the moon to be audible at such a large dish.

Offline Miss Vocalcord

• Venus
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Maybe slightly off-topic, but for the people who like ambient music:
http://somafm.com/missioncontrol/

It is an ambient audio stream mixed with NASA input!