Author Topic: Apollo 11 press conference - slightly different  (Read 18371 times)

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
Apollo 11 press conference - slightly different
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
My friend Astrobrant2 made me do this (LOL).
This video shows another attitude towards A11 conference.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Apollo 11 press conference - slightly different
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
I have watched many of the HB videos concerning the press conference and attempting to describe body language and facial characteristics of the three during the question/answer period.  I really always wondered what I would have acted like, being the first of mankind to land and survey another body in space.  Quite a feeling and I believe that their future lives indicated the constant pressure that they felt from everywhere drove them to alcoholism, depression etc.  I think they handled it better than I. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
I am now more firmly convinced than ever that it was not the "stress of the mission" or the extreme significance of the actions they all undertook, that drove them into depression or alcoholism, or to religious fanaticism, or any of the other behaviors that fall outside the public's expectation of what their behavior should be. I am convinced that it was the media, these forerunners of today's paparazzi, those looking for some new sound bite or quip that caused all of that. These men were test pilots. They were scientists, engineers, geologists, and all were fully embroiled in their own passions for technology and science. What the hell do "feelings" have to do with any of that? And they subconsciously rebelled against anyone asking them to describe how something felt. "Who the hell cares how I felt?" they must have thought. "I rode a rocket to another body in the solar system. Isn't that scientifically and technologically awesome?"

That's what I think. 
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »
I think both of you are spot on. There's also the "What do I do now?" depression that follows one reaching a pinnacle of accomplishment.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:27:44 PM by Luckmeister »
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
And, to my understanding, one or two of them had family history and might well have had those problems regardless of anything else they did or didn't do in their lives.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:22 AM »
A couple of facts stick-out in my mind:
- Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were released from quarantine at 9am on Saturday, August 10th, and whisked home to their families.
- The press conference was at 10am Monday morning, August 12, after which they departed on their world tour which, iIrc, lasted a couple of months.

Now, the astronaut community of the time has bee described (by Tom Wolfe and others) as a close-knit bunch of work-hard/play-hard jet-jocks.  These three had just reached the pinnacle of their profession and it's not unreasonable to assume that they'd want to celebrate with the only people who'd really understand and appreciate what they'd been through.

This is conjecture, but assuming they spent the rest of Saturday with their families, that would have left only Sunday the 11th to tear it up with their homies.  I'd be willing to bet that, on Monday morning at the press conference, at least one and possibly two of those guys are hung-over.

People see them at the press conference and wonder why they don't look like celebrating; my guess is they already did and are paying for it on the morning after.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »
And, to my understanding, one or two of them had family history and might well have had those problems regardless of anything else they did or didn't do in their lives.

I think you're right.

Armstrong rarely talked about himself. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that he ever said about himself was that he was there to do a job.

I think that his detachment from himself, versus the job he was there to do, is what made him so appropriate for that crew selection.

I've heard the story (from people who were there) about his ejection from the LLRV. He really did bite his tongue on landing, and when one of the other astronauts came to his desk (I think it was Bean) to ask about it, he really was non-chalant about it. That was just him.

He was no "Icy Commander" then "Smilin Al" like Shepard, and he most definitely wasn't a "come day, go day" like Pete Conrad. Of all the others, he was probably most like Grissom. I say that based on the story of the famous visit to the Convair plant when the MR-4 launch vehicle was being built, and the plant manager asked him to say something to the workers. Rather taken aback at being put on the spot, and completely uncomfortable with speaking about himself or what he was feeling, he just stammered out "Do good work" All the while thinking "Because it's my ass that's going to be riding this thing you're building"

I think Armstrong was probably just like that. There was far more to the man than what he ever let out in public.

Aldrin, on the other hand, well, he had to deal with his politically-connected, domineering, overbearing father constantly reminding him that he could intervene with "the brass" to get Buzz to be the first one out, so he wouldn't have to live with the stigma of only being the second man on the moon.

Collins, the intellectual and deep philosophical thinker of the crew, well, his sense of humor was very clear throughout the entire post-flight public appearances. Dry, droll, and somewhat underwhelmed. I think he spent most of his time on the flight back, thinking about what he would have had to face if the ascent engine hadn't lit.

Think about those things those guys had to deal with, and there you have it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:26:43 AM by Ishkabibble »
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 01:30:28 AM »
I once did some screenshots from that press conference of them laughing and joking and was accused of taking things out of context and that it was easy to cherry pick moments to prove a point. My irony meter went up to 11.

I always cite the pre-flight press conference too. It was much less comfortable and you can see from Armstrong's responses why he was the commander, he was much more relaxed and composed and able to communicate things simply and clearly.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 03:56:46 AM »
Thank you all for great replies.

The problem with society 'today' is that it really does not understand why these men were not media whores, as are many of todays talentless wannabes. What the hoaxers absolutely do not understand; these men were not raised to beat their chest, or do the funk dance or pat themselves on the back for their achievements. They are not like many of todays athletes. They were modest, humble & focused on the task at hand. Otherwise NASA would not let them fly and do the mission. Any little distraction could cost them their lives & impede the space effort if an accident occurred. Armstrong really was very unique. He was very intelligent and at the same time, very introverted. What appears convienently for detractors of the space program as 'guilt' (or whatever), is actually a genuine (and appealing) modesty and humbleness which is the core of Armstrong's personality of honesty and integrity.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:22:31 AM »
I think both of you are spot on. There's also the "What do I do now?" depression that follows one reaching a pinnacle of accomplishment.

Not for a moment wishing to compare myself to the crew of Apollo 11, but I know a little of this feeling.

I've mentioned this story previously, but I think it's worth repeating. I used to learn ballroom dancing (ballroom, latin and rock'n'roll). The studio I learned at held a couple of balls a year, which were a chance for students to dress up and have a bit of fun with their dancing; there'd be a live band, plus during band breaks the staff would play CDs of music we used at the studio, so we got to try out on a proper dance floor all the fancy steps we'd learned in our lessons.

But in addition to the general dancing, we could learn and perform routines. This involved selecting a piece of music and an appropriate dance, then getting your teacher to prepare a choreography. You then had 26 lessons to learn the dance with your teacher - not just the steps but making it look good too. Then on the night of the ball you performed the routine - 2 1/2 to 3 minutes of live choreographed performance in front of an audience of a couple of hundred, including plenty of people who knew their dancing.

The experience was pretty special. You'd start by discussing with your teacher a suitable dance and looking for some music to go with it, along with discussing ideas about how to present the dance (some students just wanted to do a dance, but others (including me) wanted the routine to include a bit of a story). The teacher would take the music and create a choreography. Then there'd be perhaps 8 to 10 lessons to actually learn the sequence of steps. The remaining lessons would go to refining your technique - styling, or changing bits of choreography if necessary, or working out little additions to the routine before the dancing began (as part of the above-mentioned story). At the same time you'd be looking for (or making) costumes and props. Then, about a week before the ball would be dress rehearsal, at which there'd inevitably be problems - some part of the costume would fail, or you'd forget part of the choreography, or you'd misstep and make a very obvious grimace. Finally there'd be the big night - butterflies in the tummy as your performance time approached, getting changed into your costume, waiting in the wings with your teacher for your name to be called. Then there was the performance itself - bright lights, loud music, the audience a blur as you tried to remember all the steps and styling, and at the same time try to make it look as though you were enjoying every second of it even as you felt a dull terror, adrenaline coursing through your body.

And then it would be over. You'd change back into your tuxedo or ball gown, slump back in your seat to watch the remaining routines, get your trophy at the end of the evening. You'd probably even head out to the night clubs for a few hours more dancing with friends.

The following morning? A huge downer. And I don't mean a hangover - I've never been a big drinker. It's just that you've invested months of lessons and quite a bit of money in the experience, and the pinnacle of that experience was a performance lasting less than three minutes, which hopefully went well (most do, but some don't). But after that there's virtually nothing. Yes, you'd get a trophy, and a few weeks later you'd get a DVD of the ball and get a chance to watch it all over again. But you never get to perform that routine again; that costume, that choreography, that particular set of circumstances - they're all history.

I still remember the feeling the morning after I performed my first routine: so strong was the downer that if I'd been told I would never be allowed to dance again I would have accepted it. (As it happened the staff at the studio were clever - they'd open the studio on the Sunday with biccies, hot coffee and a raw copy of the video, and try to lure people into signing up for another routine, a shtick which worked remarkably frequently.)

And in broad terms I think the comparison between the preparation for and performance of a dance routine and the preparation for and performance of an Apollo mission works well - the initial setting of the parameters of the routine/mission; training, initially in parts and then increasingly integrated and realistic; a final dress rehearsal; and then the actual event, taking a fraction of the preparation time. Using my own experiences as a guideline, I'm not in the slightest surprised that the astronauts experienced a huge downer in the weeks after their mission.

(And just to make a more direct connection, for one routine the music I used was Tasmin Archer's "Sleeping Satellite". For a costume I wore what you might call Mission Control uniform - dark pants, dark tie, white shirt with sleeves rolled up and with the Apollo 11 mission badge sewn on, while my teacher wore a typical late 60s miniskirt. For a prop we found an old radio sitting on a table. And to top and tail the music we added the voices of the Apollo 11 astronauts at touchdown and first step.)
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »
A couple of facts stick-out in my mind:
- Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were released from quarantine at 9am on Saturday, August 10th, and whisked home to their families.
- The press conference was at 10am Monday morning, August 12, after which they departed on their world tour which, iIrc, lasted a couple of months.

Now, the astronaut community of the time has bee described (by Tom Wolfe and others) as a close-knit bunch of work-hard/play-hard jet-jocks.  These three had just reached the pinnacle of their profession and it's not unreasonable to assume that they'd want to celebrate with the only people who'd really understand and appreciate what they'd been through.

This is conjecture, but assuming they spent the rest of Saturday with their families, that would have left only Sunday the 11th to tear it up with their homies.  I'd be willing to bet that, on Monday morning at the press conference, at least one and possibly two of those guys are hung-over.

People see them at the press conference and wonder why they don't look like celebrating; my guess is they already did and are paying for it on the morning after.
The timeline was correct but they did take their wives on the trip.  Still all in all it wasn't the most "family" oriented activity.
http://www.wingnet.org/rtw/RTW005JJ.HTM
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
I know, but like the girl in the blue gingham dress said, "There's no place like home."
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »
Peter, I suspect several of us have similar stories.  (I myself got to world finals of an academic competition in high school, and I played at Carnegie Hall in eighth grade!)  And if ours are nowhere near as extreme, well, that probably means the emotional impact is nowhere near as extreme.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »
Peter, I suspect several of us have similar stories.  (I myself got to world finals of an academic competition in high school, and I played at Carnegie Hall in eighth grade!)  And if ours are nowhere near as extreme, well, that probably means the emotional impact is nowhere near as extreme.

Indeed, after throwing myself into the final year of my first degree, spending all hours in the library and studying, the massive hole left in life when the final exam was over took some filling! Everything you'd worked towards for years suddenly happened and then it all stopped!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:09:10 PM by onebigmonkey »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »

Indeed, after throwing myself into the final year of my first degree, spending all hours in the library and studying, the massive whole left in life when the final exam was over took some filling! Everything you'd worked towards for years suddenly happened and then it all stopped!
With just working on a  Bachelor's degree, I didn't have a hole that needed to be filled with the exception of my pockets.  I wanted to get gainfully employed and quit living  like a always broke student. :)
Eugene Cernan