Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 352683 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #855 on: October 06, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
I'm always fascinated by the talking past. It's like something in a stage play, where one guy thinks the conversation is about their boss and the other thinks it is about a pet cat. "Makes all these demands!" "Yes!" "Won't use the catbox!" "Yes! ...err, what?"

When the HB de jour touches on something interesting, we talk about that -- the technology, the history, the underlying science. When they don't say anything interesting, we get distracted -- then it's Monty Python, book reviews, whatever. From our point of view it is all equally interesting.

For them, the conversation is entirely adversarial. Every single word is an attempt to score debating points. So if we talk about related aspects of the technology we are evading. If we talk about Doctor Who we are trying to distract.

They don't just misread the conversation; they misread the venue. They see themselves as a brave investigator going up against a cadre of trained disinfo agents in a quixotic quest to awaken the few stubbornly ignorant innocents that may be there. Everything matters, every word matters, and of course everything is dead serious.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #856 on: October 06, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
I'm always fascinated by the talking past. It's like something in a stage play, where one guy thinks the conversation is about their boss and the other thinks it is about a pet cat. "Makes all these demands!" "Yes!" "Won't use the catbox!" "Yes! ...err, what?"

We have a friend named Max.  One of my friends has a cat named Max.  Actual conversation:

Friend with the cat, to Friend A.  "Yeah, and I've been leaving the window open, so Max can go in and out."

Friend B, in the back seat of the car where she'd been talking to me and not really listening.  "Wait, what?"

Friend with the cat.  "Well, you know, he can't open the door on his own."

Friend B.  "Why not?"

Friend with the cat.  "Because he doesn't have any hands?"

Friend B, now horrified.  "What did you do to his hands?"

Long pause.  Friend A.  "The cat."

Friend B.  "Oh . . . ."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #857 on: October 06, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »

We have a friend named Max.  One of my friends has a cat named Max.  Actual conversation:

Friend with the cat, to Friend A.  "Yeah, and I've been leaving the window open, so Max can go in and out."

Friend B, in the back seat of the car where she'd been talking to me and not really listening.  "Wait, what?"

Friend with the cat.  "Well, you know, he can't open the door on his own."

Friend B.  "Why not?"

Friend with the cat.  "Because he doesn't have any hands?"

Friend B, now horrified.  "What did you do to his hands?"

Long pause.  Friend A.  "The cat."

Friend B.  "Oh . . . ."

;D
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #858 on: October 06, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
In Adrian's case he interprets people's general unwillingness to engage an obvious nut-job, or frustration when they try, as evidence that he has intimidated or confounded them.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #859 on: October 06, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
Jockndoris

I will remind you that you were under moderation (due to previous rule violations) when you returned to the forum. I removed the moderation restrictions so that you could more quickly answer questions about your claims.

If you do not answer the questions posed to you by the other members of the forum I will place you back under moderation and no further promotion of your books will be permitted.
Mr Moderator  Yes. You have been very reasonable.  I think however my participation in this post has now run its course until of course we get news that Buzz Aldrin has at last confessed - and that will happen and I hope you will let me know!  We have done well though with over 10,000 views.  Thanks to you and to all your posters for your contributions to that success .  Jockndoris

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #860 on: October 06, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
Behold the flounce.

I think however my participation in this post has now run its course...

So you choose not to explain or excuse your blatant lies.  I think that tells us pretty much everything we need to know about your personal and professional integrity.

until of course we get news that Buzz Aldrin has at last confessed - and that will happen and I hope you will let me know!

No.  Col. Buzz Aldrin, Sc.D. USAF (Ret), is a far smarter, far more honest, far more accomplished man than you, and I assure you he doesn't have the least clue who you are.  Nor did he do any of the things you deliberately misattributed to him.

We have done well though with over 10,000 views.

Thank you for confirming that all you care about is attention paid to you.  Honestly and integrity mean nothing to you.  How you managed to survive a career as a chartered accountant with this obvious penchant for lying and selfishness boggles my mind.

Thanks to you and to all your posters for your contributions to that success .  Jockndoris

If you consider "success" being shown as an obvious self-absorbed habitual liar and quite possibly the world's worst author, I guess we're well and truly done here.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #861 on: October 06, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
Jockndoris

I will remind you that you were under moderation (due to previous rule violations) when you returned to the forum. I removed the moderation restrictions so that you could more quickly answer questions about your claims.

If you do not answer the questions posed to you by the other members of the forum I will place you back under moderation and no further promotion of your books will be permitted.
Mr Moderator  Yes. You have been very reasonable.  I think however my participation in this post has now run its course until of course we get news that Buzz Aldrin has at last confessed - and that will happen and I hope you will let me know!  We have done well though with over 10,000 views.  Thanks to you and to all your posters for your contributions to that success .  Jockndoris

What confession? Sadly for you there was no confession last Saturday  ;D Let me guess, we have to wait much longer, haven't we?

But anyway let me put a direct question to you:
Will you want him to confirm that he played golf with me or will you just accept that he says that he didn’t go to the Moon and had to carry out the recordings of the landings in a specially equipped studio in the Nevada Desert.
Would you please present an evidence for this specially equipped studio?
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #862 on: October 06, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
I think however my participation in this post has now run its course until of course we get news that Buzz Aldrin has at last confessed - and that will happen and I hope you will let me know!  We have done well though with over 10,000 views.  Thanks to you and to all your posters for your contributions to that success .  Jockndoris[/b]

And, there we have it ladies and gentlemen, just as predicted.

He'll either do a stealth flounce or just plain ignore the fact that there will be no "confession". 
A full house with a total failure to ignore that there was no confession AND a flounce.
Well done Mr. Burns, not only are you an idiot, but you are a predictable idiot.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #863 on: October 06, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »
Now to see if he can stick it...or if he has to call in some socks to pinch-hit for him.

Shouldn't be hard to spot. Not as easy as just looking for the incredibly poor attempt at a regional accent, mention of bicycles and/or guitars, and a wife from somewhere in asia...but still pretty easy. Jock makes these wonderful sentences that feel like a heavy, square-wheeled cart lumbering past. I wish I could capture that voice properly. It would work so well for some minor characters I'm tinkering with.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #864 on: October 06, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »
I wish I could capture that voice properly. It would work so well for some minor characters I'm tinkering with.

Buzz Killington? ??

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #865 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »
;D

Ever since then, too, the distinction has been "Max with hands" and "Max without hands."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #866 on: October 06, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
;D

Ever since then, too, the distinction has been "Max with hands" and "Max without hands."
One can hope that Max with hands never becomes a double forearm amputee, or things will become really confusing.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #867 on: October 06, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
I think however my participation in this post has now run its course until of course we get news that Buzz Aldrin has at last confessed

Then you will never darken our door again, I trust. Game over. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #868 on: October 06, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
I've heard that the Japanese language can be so ambiguous that they've based a form of entertainment on it, plays in which the entire dialogue can be interpreted in several self-consistent ways. I forget what it's called.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:15:36 PM by ka9q »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #869 on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Sounds interesting. I know they do enjoy playing with their language -- homophones, especially in English loan-words -- and ambiguous meanings inherent in the rather tense grammar are certainly the fodder for certain salariman comics. (I had a subscription for a while to a magazine that used samples of various manga as a teaching tool to learn Japanese).

I remember a Tanaka-kun where he is struggling for two panels to open a bottle. On the third panel he finally gets the lid off, just as a friend enters saying "Happy New Year!" To which Tanaka-kun responds "It was nothing." (That's a play on the literal meaning of "Omedetto Gozaimasu!")

In another Tanaka-kun, his sometimes-girlfriend suggests they put on some (rock) music -- he proceeds to get up and lock the door!

And that's not even touching the fun you can get into with on and kun readings of different kanji.

From what little I know (I got to maybe the first month of a first semester in it via self-study) it is an incredibly contextual language. I like to think of it this way; the classic (romance) languages conjugate in order to explain who is going, when they are going, how many are going. English relies on the surrounding words and leaves off a lot of this. Japanese leaves practically everything out of the sentence entirely. So "Vamonos," then in English "Let's go," and in Japanese -- "Go." You have to figure out who is going based on context.