Author Topic: Apollo astronaut autobiographies  (Read 14218 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Apollo astronaut autobiographies
« on: October 31, 2015, 03:37:52 AM »
There have been some harsh works recently on some of the Apollo astronaut biographies.  As I contemplate exanding my library, I wonder if I could have some ranking on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best).

Lovell - Apollo 13/lost Moon

Borman - Silver Arrow

Stafford - We have capture

Cernan - Last man on the Moon

Collins - Carrying the fire

Bean - Apollo

Aldrin - Magnificent desolation, Men from Earth, Reaching the Moon

Have I missed any?

Mitchell - Earthrise

Scott - Two sides of the Moon

Irwin - To rule the night

Worden - Falling to Earth

Slayton - Deke

Cunningham - All American boys

O'Leary - The making of an ex-astronaut

Nothing (AFAIK) from Anders, Young, Armstrong, Conrad, Gordon, Swigert, Shepherd, Roosa, Mattingly or Evans

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:45:18 AM by Dalhousie »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Apollo astronaut autobiographies
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 03:58:49 AM »
Biography or autobiography? There's a biography of Pete Conrad called Rocketman by Nancy Conrad and Howard Klausner.

I haven't seen most of the ones you listed, but I will say that of the ones I've read Carrying the Fire by Collins is definitely my favorite. He's got a great sense of humor.

I tried to work my way through a couple of Aldrin's books but never finished them; that probably says something.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:01:46 AM »
Biography or autobiography? There's a biography of Pete Conrad called Rocketman by Nancy Conrad and Howard Klausner.

I haven't seen most of the ones you listed, but I will say that of the ones I've read Carrying the Fire by Collins is definitely my favorite. He's got a great sense of humor.

I tried to work my way through a couple of Aldrin's books but never finished them; that probably says something.

Autobiography.  I am after their own words.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:03:19 AM by Dalhousie »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:17:28 AM »
Gotcha. Yeah, Collins is definitely the best I've seen. Aldrin is just too self-indulgent and, quite frankly, rather humorless -- certainly when compared with Collins.

Lovell's book was the basis for the movie Apollo 13 so you're probably already quite familiar with the story. But it's still worth a look.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »
Biography or autobiography? ...Snip.

Autobiography.  I am after their own words.

You'll still get their own words from biographies, such as "First Man", the biography of Neil Armstrong.

Like others, I give "Carrying the Fire" by Mike Collins 10 out of 10.

There are plenty of direct quotes from Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins and others about Apollo 11 and everything that led up to it in the marvellous 1970 book, "First on the Moon - A Voyage with Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E. Aldrin Jr", written with Gene Farmer and Dora Jane Hamblin, epilogue by Arthur C. Clarke.  Michael Joseph Ltd, London (1970).

Farmer was senior editor and Hamblin was staff writer at "Life", and they lived with the astronauts and their families. Being such an early book, the astronauts' memories have not been dulled or altered by time, as we sometimes see now, such as a doco of this century where Frank Borman tells a yarn and Bill Anders cracks an expression that is probably saying, "No, Frank, it didn't really happen like that..." But he keeps quiet and lets it pass.

"First on the Moon..." is an incredibly good book which I refer to often, but I found it very, very jarring on my first reading because it does things like halting at a nailbiting phase of the mission and telling us what the wives and kids are doing back on Earth, such as on page 227:

All systems performing well... Now about forty-five seconds from reacquiring... CAPCOM Charlie Duke putting in a call to the crew...
   COLUMBIA (Collins): Houston, Columbia. Down-voice backup, do you read?
   HOUSTON (Duke): Roger, we read you. Columbia, did you call, over?
   COLUMBIA (Collins): Affirmative. Calling you on down-voice backup. How do you read me?
   HOUSTON (Duke): Roger, better, Mike... We're satisfied with this COMM configuration. Let's stay with where we are. Over.
   Eleven in the morning, Houston time; and it was Sunday...

Jan Armstrong spent the morning in her El Lago home, just waiting for the coming afternoon. In Nassau Bay the Collins daughters, Kate and Ann, served their mother breakfast in bed; their father had always brought Pat her breakfast on Sunday when he was home. Then Pat Collins, the three children and Pat's sister, Ellie Golden, attended the ten-thirty Mass at St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church.

But that's what I've come to like about the book.  It reinforces that there were a lot of ordinary people and some extraordinary people who were all in extraordinary circumstances, but normal life had to go on. It's not only about Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, it's about the humanity involved with Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, and that makes it a brilliant book. It might be hard to find a copy, but I have heard a rumour that a digital copy fell off a truck somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:52:30 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
Thanks, I read that one years ago.  I left it off the list because it was all three.  Glad you liked it too.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:03 AM »
I gather that the 1994 book by Shepard, Slayton, and Barbree"Moon Shot" isn't well regarded, is that correct?

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:02:06 AM »
Has anyone read John Young's book "Forever Young"? 

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:57:01 AM »
I gather that the 1994 book by Shepard, Slayton, and Barbree"Moon Shot" isn't well regarded, is that correct?

Actually, I thought it was quite good.

What about Frank Borman's COUNTDOWN? That was good.

FALLING TO EARTH was excellent.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 03:49:43 AM »
Collins is the best as many have said. It's quite cinematic in its structure what with it building to the mini-climax of Gemini 10 then a build to the big climax of Apollo 11. It's also very light hearted and fun to read. His description of his Gemini 10 spacewalk is particularly good.

Cernan's is pretty good too. There's also a nice inclusion of what his first wife was going through at the time.

Deke's I was okay. I was kind of hoping for more detailed insight into why he made the crew choices he did. Not as much gossip as I thought there'd be.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
Deke's I was okay. I was kind of hoping for more detailed insight into why he made the crew choices he did. Not as much gossip as I thought there'd be.
I would like to know the preference ranking also, but that has gone forever. :(
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 03:45:28 AM »

How is it different to SILVER ARROW?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »

I don't know about SILVER ARROW, so I couldn't say, sorry.

How is it different to SILVER ARROW?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 07:34:23 PM »
Silver Arrow Books published Countdown.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 11:27:35 PM »
Silver Arrow Books published Countdown.

Whoops, thanks!  :-[