Author Topic: Oh goodie, we have a new player...  (Read 23300 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Oh goodie, we have a new player...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know, it's this loon.

http://www.thefogbow.com/birther-claims-debunked1/birther-cast-and-crew/lawyers/leo-donofrio/

Wow...just..I mean...

I suppose the pseudo-factual claims merit some review at Clavius, but giving this nut-job more attention is not something I relish.

The 'sound in a vacuum' stuff is proving a popular nail to hang things on. Kind of ironic that HBs have argued  for years that you should be able to hear LM ascent engines, and are now getting all excited by the claim that you shouldn't be able to hear anything at all.

His cherry picking of incomplete quotes from ISS astronauts, and his use of EVA clips where the mic's are obviously not in use to indicate there is no noise is just very dishonest.

Some people are rebutting his observations about noise from a thrown object striking the LM in the early stages of Apollo 15's EVA-1 as being possibly picked up by the LM comms system. My opinion is that his hand is in contact with something that is on the mesa platform.

My favourite so far (after the 'rings around the OPS' stupidity) is his discovery of an artificial light source. It's a reflection from a watch.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
I suppose someone could have planted that birth announcement in the Honolulu paper, but why?

Just in case..   :-X

Because, like, to everyone in 1961 it was so totally obvious that a black man with an Arab middle name born that year would become President.
There's a Futurama episode about a presidential candidate whose birth was part of a pre-destination paradox. Actually, I think it was intended to mock the birthers.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know, it's this loon.

http://www.thefogbow.com/birther-claims-debunked1/birther-cast-and-crew/lawyers/leo-donofrio/

So one of his "names" is "Burnweed"?

I think "Smokeweed" would have been more appropriate
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 03:07:09 AM »
So one of his "names" is "Burnweed"?

I think "Smokeweed" would have been more appropriate

Well, he did not inhale. :D

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
Jet Wintzer (I know you'll all have heard of him) has a made a film for some festival or other:

Sorry to raise your blood pressure...

The pressure is allright and solid, a long time. Especially since reading Clavius and ApolloHoax.net.
Is he another Jarrah? I'm not going to waste too much energy...

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »
I dont think any of us are motivated to have another obsessive whatever hounding us.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »

Offline Miss Vocalcord

• Venus
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:51 PM »
Oh, dear. Look who is reposting this video.

http://planet.infowars.com/science/let-face-the-apollo-moon-landings-and-the-photo-and-film-material-are-fake

I wonder where he found it?
His middle term memory must be getting really bad, he just posted it again:
http://planet.infowars.com/science/moon-hoax-it-is-now-a-fact-video-you-must-see

This doesn't surprise me at all. Pathological liars rarely have the ability to keep their stories consistent

He couldn't even remember that he was the owner of his own website
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 04:38:50 AM »
Oh, dear. Look who is reposting this video.

http://planet.infowars.com/science/let-face-the-apollo-moon-landings-and-the-photo-and-film-material-are-fake

I wonder where he found it?
http://planet.infowars.com/science/moon-hoax-it-is-now-a-fact-video-you-must-see

This doesn't surprise me at all. Pathological liars rarely have the ability to keep their stories consistent

He couldn't even remember that he was the owner of his own website

Nor does he know the difference between this forum and Bad Astronomy, based on his rantings about Phil Plait running things here.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Online Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
You know, I am so busy that despite all the work I do I get a little further behind every day. That being said, it is almost worth baiting this person so I would have a little diversion whilst online.

It is really tempting but I wonder just how much time I would waste each day re-writing all the rebuttals I previously have done...

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

The very first clip in that movie might be a copyright infringement of the work of Producer/Director Al Reinert, because it looks like it is taken from his movie, For All Mankind. I can't tell for certain because I can't view both Wintzer's and Reinert's movies side-by-side at the same time, but someone else might be able to do so. The clip in For All Mankind occurs near the end of Chapter 12, at 0:48:48 on the Criterion Collection DVD I have, thanks to fellow member AJV.

Reinert used the video of Neil Armstrong jumping down to the footpad and then added his "one small step" words immediately after. The real event didn't happen that way. Neil jumped down to the footpad, described what he saw, and then stepped off.

So maybe someone could use this in their discussions with our "old friend," because copyright infringement is a serious offence. I'm sure many of us here wouldn't want him being compelled to answer to the American courts.  Furthermore, if it did happen, he would probably blame Phil Plait and JayUtah, which would be a tragedy, a travesty, and just plain wrong. I doubt very much that those gentlemen would wish to get him into trouble when it is so well-known that he has all the talents and abilities required to do it to himself.

Funnily enough, I mentioned Reinert's clip on a New Zealand message board just a week ago when showing people where to see photos of New Zealand's moon rocks from Apollo 11 and Apollo 17. Excerpt below.

Rock from Apollo 11, four tiny slices: http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/64368

Rock from Apollo 17, one much bigger rock: http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/64372

Neil Armstrong -- first man to step onto the moon.
Gene Cernan -- last man to step off it.

Jack Schmitt was the last man to step onto the moon and second-to-last to step off it. He and Gene will lose their titles sometime but Armstrong will keep his forever.

Has anyone noticed that news on TV sometimes shows the wrong clip of Armstrong stepping onto the moon? They have pinched a clip from the movie "For All Mankind" which is a highly-edited "single trip to the moon" made up of all the very best TV and movie images, and even mixes the voices of the astronauts. It is a work of art, not a documentary, and shows Armstrong jumping down to the footpad and then saying "that was one small step..." He stayed on the footpad for a while and described what he could see before stepping off.

When he actually stepped off we only saw him from about upper thighs up, and it was just a small motion forward toward the camera, and a tiny bit down.

What most people don't notice is that he was clinging on to a rope for some time afterward in case he plunged through the top of a lava tube just below the surface, which could have killed him. Eventually it proved that the lunar surface was quite capable of holding up all the astronauts, but there could still be dangerous tubes elsewhere.

Any corrections are welcome. There's a small error on the second Te Papa web page about three astronauts on the moon which I'll point out, and will give them the New Zealand times of the events because many people don't know them and there are plenty who say, "I watched the moonlanding live on TV at school..." Meaning on the 20th of July 1969.

No they didn't if they were in New Zealand. There was no satellite TV connection from overseas to New Zealand in July 1969, and the landing and EVA occurred on Monday 21 July 1969, NZST. That's why they were at school. Video of the EVA was flown from Sydney, Australia in a Canberra bomber to Wellington, and broadcast on the 7pm news that night on our one and only TV channel.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:53:35 PM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
What most people don't notice is that he was clinging on to a rope for some time afterward in case he plunged through the top of a lava tube just below the surface, which could have killed him.

This is the first I've heard of this.  For starters, he was holding on to the ladder, not a rope.  I think the only rope-like thing available would have been the LEC strap, and I don't know if that was deployed yet.  Also, was the lava tube thing really an issue?  Iirc, some wondered if people would sink into the dust, but in either case if the LM footpad is sitting right there and there are several rocks on the surface nearby, would stepping off really be concern?
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
What most people don't notice is that he was clinging on to a rope for some time afterward in case he plunged through the top of a lava tube just below the surface, which could have killed him.

This is the first I've heard of this.  For starters, he was holding on to the ladder, not a rope.  I think the only rope-like thing available would have been the LEC strap, and I don't know if that was deployed yet.  Also, was the lava tube thing really an issue?  Iirc, some wondered if people would sink into the dust, but in either case if the LM footpad is sitting right there and there are several rocks on the surface nearby, would stepping off really be concern?

'tis true :)

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11tether.html