Author Topic: So, who's for Mars then?  (Read 22360 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
So, who's for Mars then?
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
You will be aware no doubt that mature established couples are being sought for a trip to Mars, setting off in 2018 for an 18 month non-landing mission.

Would you fancy it?
What technical things need to worked out yet or is it all there ready to go?
Is it pointless, given that they don't intend to land?
Does a relationship guarantee a lack of discord? Obviously if they're mature and in an established relationship they'll be used to going with sex for that long anyway ;)

Thoughts? Observations? Ribald comments?

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
Re: So, who's for Mars then?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
Presumably you meant WITHOUT sex.  However, there's no reason to expect that they would have to abstain during the trip.

I'd love to see it happen, though.  [ETA: the trip, not the sex.  Necessarily.]  Not sure whether they can pull it off.  I would imagine one big problem will be, yes I'll say it, radiation.  Maybe that's why they're looking for "mature" folks who won't be around long enough for the extra exposure to matter.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Might be fun.  It lasts 500 days so I could sell my house before we leave because by the time it is over my last kid will be out of college, so we would be downsizing anyway.  I wonder how she would feel about me missing the graduation?  The big downside is that you will become a reality TV celebrity and I can't act.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
Presumably you meant WITHOUT sex.  However, there's no reason to expect that they would have to abstain during the trip.

I'd love to see it happen, though.  [ETA: the trip, not the sex.  Necessarily.]  Not sure whether they can pull it off.  I would imagine one big problem will be, yes I'll say it, radiation.  Maybe that's why they're looking for "mature" folks who won't be around long enough for the extra exposure to matter.

~cough~ ;)

And yes - interesting Freudian slip there by me, I was having wistful and fond recollections of such things :D

The radiation issue has been mentioned in some reports, and no doubt quotes will be flung around by the Apollo denier community as they fail to distinguish between 18 months and a couple of weeks.

I think this is a marvellous thing, but it will be 9 months of not an awful lot happening, followed by a brief period of "HEY WOW!!", then another 9 months of not an awful lot happening. The periods of not an awful lot happening will be filled with conspiracy theory nonsense about the people they send being somewhere in a basement on Earth and the Mars footage will be all CGI  ::)

I think it's a shame that they won't be going to the surface. I can see why, as it makes the cost of the whole thing affordable to the average billionaire space industry backer, but I think it will be very psychologically difficult. You could perhaps cope with the privations of the long journey if you knew that you were getting out at the end for a walk, but to just orbit a few times and head straight back? There will be people arguing that you might as well send monkeys.

I suppose they would get valuable information about human biology and psychology in preparation for a longer surface bound mission, and there is something in our nature that makes eyewitness testimony more valuable and interesting than the view from a camera alone. I am interested and excited to see how this turns out, and look forward to private industry looking at the moon with more seriously in the near future too.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
In 2018, we'll have a five-year-old.  That won't work.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »
Apollos 8 and 10 went the the Moon and intentionally didn't land, so even though that was part of an overall plan to land, its not unprecedented.

IMO, there is a lot than can be learned about Human Life Sciences from a mission like this. It will break Valery Polyakov's current record of 438 consecutive days, and we saw the effect the long stay in space had on him.

I think the mission would require some kind of simulated gravity arrangement.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:29:59 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
What about going to Phobos? The delta-V isn't much different from going into Mars orbit. And since it's probably a captured asteroid, we can get our first up-close look at one.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
What about going to Phobos? The delta-V isn't much different from going into Mars orbit. And since it's probably a captured asteroid, we can get our first up-close look at one.

They aren't going to Mars orbit. The proposed mission uses a gravity assist to put the spacecraft on a return trajectory to Earth. Following the burn to reach Mars, they only do minor trajectory correction maneuvers until they arrive back at Earth...they would need a couple km/s of extra delta-v to enter and break Mars orbit, and it would screw up the timing of their return.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:31:37 AM »
Well, just a flyby doesn't sound terribly exciting. Well, maybe more exciting than what we've done lately.

I wonder if there are any low-energy ways to enter and leave Mars orbit via one of its Lagrange points.

There are good reasons to stay for a while even if you don't land. You could operate rovers on the surface with very little time lag.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
This would be great reality TV. 

The anticpation during the training
the danger of the launch
the strangeness of existing in weightlessness and slightly veiled suggestions of the wonderfulness of sex in zero G
the sharing of the new adventure as the couple falls into their new roles and work out long standing relationship issues during the cost
the new excitement of the approach to Mars
the bickering over who get viewing time of Mars throught the one small window while the other monitors operations
the drama as the fighting caries into the return coast
the recriminations as each blames the other for real or imagined personal failings
the final solution as one gets "voted" out the airlock.....
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
Thoughts? Observations? Ribald comments?

Linky?
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 05:06:27 PM »
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
Apparently they'll be using their own feces as radiation shielding.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/1/4054664/astronauts-will-use-feces-as-a-radiation-shield-on-2018-mars-mission

Taber MacCallum told New Scientist about the plan, saying that "it's a little queasy sounding, but there's no place for that material to go, and it makes great radiation shielding."

Uh. Who is this Taber MacCallum who thinks there's no place for it go? Sure you can use it for shielding but... uhhh... why the hay has it not occurred to him to just jettison it?

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 05:43:09 PM »
Apparently they'll be using their own feces as radiation shielding.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/1/4054664/astronauts-will-use-feces-as-a-radiation-shield-on-2018-mars-mission

My favourite comment on the article:

Instead of Solar and Cosmic Radiation lets add millions of bacteria to the mix and end up with a Ship of Radioactive Faeces.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.