Author Topic: Wonderful Photographs from Mars  (Read 86163 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Wonderful Photographs from Mars
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
I don't trust their photographs at all.   

But why do you trust your disbelief?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
I'm glad that this is a forum where you can call someone a troll and not get dinged for it.

Jockndoris, you are such a troll.
What scares me is if they aren't a troll, but actually sincere in their, frankly absurd, claims.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
In fact the whole thing was set up in advance as a simulation and when we all swallowed the first one the next few Apollo missions were easy.
Actually, I think this statement is 180o off true. I was thinking about this just the other day - following another one of those "Kubrick" claims - and, y'know, if there had just been the one mission (AS-11) it would be a lot easier to swallow the hoax notion.

But those other missions provided hours and hours of clear color television, thousands of photographs, and close to half a ton of lunar rocks and soil. Not to mention thousands of hours of audio tapes. Maybe - MAYbe - you could get away with some kind of simulated lunar conditions in front of a slow-scan B&W TV, but all those hours of riding and bouncing and digging and such? Not a chance in hell.

Do smoe research about ham radios, and check out the Soviet tracking of Apollo.

Is that short for 'some more', like in s'mores?    ;)  Joking
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Also, the first images sent back were tiny thumbnails sent directly to Earth over a slow link (32 kbps max) with the protective dust covers still on (and covered with dust), leading to stupid comments by the hecklers in the crowd about how their cell phones took better pictures. It took them a while longer to get the high bandwidth link through MRO and Odyssey up and start getting high quality images from the rover.
I was going to ask about this ... I am glad I read through first. :) I assumed they were beaming to the MRO and from there to here ... didn' think about Odessy. :D
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
I think all of the active Mars-orbiting spacecraft can relay data from landers. The protocol is called Proximity-1. It operates on UHF frequencies in the 400 MHz range (one of them, 437.1 MHz, is in a ham band but because it's at another planet I won't complain). When the orbiter comes up over the horizon at a lander, it sends an interrogation. If the lander has data, it responds and transfers the data up to the orbiter. The orbiter then stores it and relays it to earth at the next opportunity.

This works very well. The usual rule for Earth/space communications is to put as much on the ground and as little in space  as possible, but that rule is reversed at another planet like Mars. Because it's so difficult to soft-land on the surface, and because of the relatively long and cold night, you want to keep as many elements in orbit as possible, especially large and heavy items like batteries, high power RF amplifiers, solar arrays, and large steerable communication antennas. That makes an orbiter better able than a lander to achieve a high data rate back to earth. Because of the short range to the satellites above, the landers can transmit at a high data rate with minimal power and a simple, nearly omnidirectional UHF antenna that doesn't need any pointing. The high speed overcomes the shortness of the passes made by the orbiters over the landers. Relaying also allows data to be relayed when a lander is on the night side of Mars and out of direct communication with earth.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:24:31 PM by ka9q »

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2012, 03:55:32 AM »
That information and description is very helpful indeed. Thank you

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2012, 06:07:35 AM »
That information and description is very helpful indeed. Thank you
And you accept it is correct and the Curiosity mission is real, or not?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »
That's it? That's all you have to say? Do you accept the responses or are you still unsure?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline darkonc

• Mercury
Failure was not an option.
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
"Failure is not an option" is an interesting quote.  Although the option of failure was not acceptable for the Apollo program, the potential of failure was considered for any single mission.  Even the Apollo 11 astronauts themselves considered the probability of successfully completing the mission to be roughly 50-50.

Part of the reason for scheduling Apollo 12 for November 1969 was to be able to correct any deficiencies found during Apollo 11 and still keep Kennedy's promise of landing a man on the moon by the end of the decade.

The black and white Apollo TV cameras had a very slow-scan high resolution (1280 lines) mode that was reserved for situations where the lunar crew was unable to return the film images (euphemism for 'stranded').

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »

Do smoe research about ham radios, and check out the Soviet tracking of Apollo.

Is that short for 'some more', like in s'mores?

No, it's a phonetic spelling of "schmo," meaning idiot or cuckold. Thus, the suggestion is to perform an idiot's research on the subject, which would be one step up from the usual HB's research.

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »
Wonderful Photographs from MARS

We all fell for it in 1969 when we believed what we saw on the supposed telecasts from the Moon which were in fact shot in lot 171 in the Nevada Desert.

Nope, they were filmed at a variety of locations on earth, but not that one.

proof = posts 8, 17 and 24 of this thread.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
It looks like Jockndoris has picked up his ball and gone home, but if he returns to this thread, I have two points I'd like him to clarify:

1. What sort of "new chemical compounds" would he expect a genuine mission to find?
2. Why would conditions on Mars make formation of "new" compounds (by which I assume he means those not found on Earth) virtually certain?

Because as a chemist, I'm not particularly perturbed by the lack of totally unEarthlike compounds. We have the same elements on Mars, and they can only combine in a finite number of ways, due to the nature of chemical bonding. While we might see some differences in rock formations due to pressure/gravity/low water content for Mars, I would be interested in knowing why Jock expects there to be so many differences that not finding new compounds is proof of faking.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »
Wonderful Photographs from MARS

We all fell for it in 1969 when we believed what we saw on the supposed telecasts from the Moon which were in fact shot in lot 171 in the Nevada Desert.

Nope, they were filmed at a variety of locations on earth, but not that one.

proof = posts 8, 17 and 24 of this thread.
Half a dozen years have passed since you blew your cover and the story, and they still haven't gotten to you?  They are as sloppy ending employment arrangements as they are in making payments.  For me, as long as they keep the weekly open bar happy hour going, I am fine without a check. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »
Yeah, but I don't drink!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
Neither do I (much) but I've built up a clientele among the muggles at the bar that will pay cash for discounted drinks and I get to pocket the money.  It makes up for the missing checks.  And the tips aren't bad either. You just have to be entrepreneurial. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:11:14 PM by Echnaton »