Author Topic: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?  (Read 420613 times)

Offline RAF

• Mars
Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #645 on: January 31, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
Some people think the landing was real, but they faked the video.  I was asking Jay.

You were asking Jay, what? If he agreed with you?

You simply can not be that ignorant.
I heard a guy named Jay on a radio show one time saying Apollo was real, but for some reason the video was fake.  Don't remember the last name.  Thought it might have been the same Jay by chance.  Guess not.

Ok...maybe you can be that ignorant.

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #646 on: January 31, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
Of course he can. Remember "Buzz Armstrong"?
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #647 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »
Of course he can. Remember "Buzz Armstrong"?

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #648 on: January 31, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Wow. I was just reminiscing about old times when I brought up Patrick not knowing about the RCS. It never occurred to me that there could be two hoax believers out there so full of hubris they would call 'gotcha' without bothering to learn the absolute minimal basics of space flight. Just wow.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #649 on: January 31, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »
Alex,

I'm still waiting on your response about your bet. Are you going to confirm your qualifications or not?

Im also still waiting on your response about the Apollo rocks. Are you going to answer these questions or not?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #650 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »
I heard a guy named Jay on a radio show one time saying Apollo was real, but for some reason the video was fake.  Don't remember the last name.  Thought it might have been the same Jay by chance.  Guess not.

Guess not.  Now do you have anything material to say to the several posts here that effectively refute your claims and illustrate your deception and incompetence?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #651 on: January 31, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
I was just reminiscing about old times when I brought up Patrick not knowing about the RCS.

Wasn't that the same guy that had a special fixation on astronaut poo?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #652 on: January 31, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
Wasn't that the same guy that had a special fixation on astronaut poo?

Yeah, and there's someone doing that on Cosmoquest too, but he got suspended.  A little creepy if you ask me.  Yes, poo is a fact of life, and when you're an astronaut it's a slightly less pleasant fact of life than for the rest of us mammals.  But to be that fixated on it is just asking to be mocked.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #653 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »

Maybe it was Jay Armstrong?  8)

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #654 on: January 31, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Yeah, and there's someone doing that on Cosmoquest too, but he got suspended.

Makes a man wonder why old astronaut poo is becoming so popular online these days.  I guess it like every thing else, people with common interests naturally congregate. If CQ is out, I wonder where they will go next?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #655 on: January 31, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
...I wonder where they will go next?

Above Poop Secret?
Pooplike Productions?
Call Of Doodie?
YouPoop?

Okay, I'm done.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #656 on: January 31, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
...I wonder where they will go next?

Above Poop Secret?
Pooplike Productions?
Call Of Doodie?
YouPoop?

Okay, I'm done.
I am pleased someone is able to do the dirty work around here when it needs doing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:36:47 PM by Echnaton »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #657 on: January 31, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Heh.  So they probably don't take sightings on Rigel Kent!
As a matter of fact, no they don't. It wasn't on the list of Apollo guide stars despite its brightness, and I haven't heard of star trackers using it either. The yearly parallax and the fact that it's a double (or maybe triple) star probably both contribute to that.

As I understand it (Jay, correct me if I'm wrong), the two stars traditionally used with star trackers were Canopus and Sirius. They're not as far apart as you'd like (90 degrees would be ideal) nor is Sirius all that far away but they're both bright and easy to spot.

Nowadays more stars are used, and in some cases entire star field images are looked up in a catalog, which is pretty neat.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #658 on: January 31, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
The vast majority of medium format still cameras used the 61.5mm wide "120", "220" or "620" films
Learn something every day! I handled a lot of medium format film way back in my junior high school photography days, and I'd always just assumed it was the same width as 70mm movie film, just no sprocket holes. I never measured it or did the math.

Yes, Apollo used 70mm film because it was a standard size that came without a weight and volume-wasting backing. Kodak also made it especially thin using their then-new Estar (polyester) base, which is much stronger and more temperature-insensitive than the cellulose acetate stock that replaced nitrate. Both factors allowed many more (hundreds) of exposures to be crammed into each magazine. As far as I know, the color emulsion was standard Ektachrome. I don't remember if we've discussed why it wasn't Kodachrome, which has better dye stability.

We also know polyester as DuPont's Mylar. Rumor has it that Kodak developed Estar film for spy satellite photography, which makes a lot of sense.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #659 on: January 31, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
As I understand it (Jay, correct me if I'm wrong), the two stars traditionally used with star trackers were Canopus and Sirius.

Yes, Canopus more so because of its unique chromatic signature and its considerable distance from the ecliptic.  Early probes used a sun tracker and a Canopus tracker.

Nowadays more stars are used, and in some cases entire star field images are looked up in a catalog, which is pretty neat.

Yes, third-generation star trackers can go from no-initial-fix to 90% confidence of a 3-arcsecond tolerance in a little under a minute.  With an initial fix, 3-10 arcseconds at 10 Hz.  As I said, for many purposes they can supplant an angular IMU.