Author Topic: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?  (Read 420384 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #765 on: February 03, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
And anyway, I wasn't on the cluesforum because I would never waste my time there.  Leaving aside the misrepresentation of why Alex was banned, I happen to prefer fora that are on the side of the evidence.  I have other criteria as well, but we can start with that.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #766 on: February 03, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
I got banned for saying the ISS was real.

You got banned for being amazingly rude and obnoxious.

Where were you people then?

Watching and enjoying the fact that you couldn't even get a bunch of conspiracy theorists to agree with you.

THIS IS MY FINAL TRANSMISSION.

Again?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #767 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
as long as they were within maybe 100 miles of the planned landing site and could tell their orientation (such as the sun being in the east), they could make a suitable orbit to begin rendezvous.
Right, but it's even simpler than that.

Consider that the Apollo 11 LM and CSM were in a nearly equatorial orbit together before the landing, the surface stay was very brief, and the moon rotates very slowly. This meant the LM's landing site had to be very nearly in the CSM's orbital plane. So no matter where you actually land within this plane, you can get back to the CSM by simply continuing in the same direction you were going when you landed.

Nearly all of the error and uncertainty in the Apollo 11 landing site location was downrange along the track, and it was compensated for during rendezvous by simply adjusting the timing of the various burns, including liftoff. The information from the rendezvous radar that accurately measured the range and range-rate between the CSM and LM. The position of the moon underneath simply didn't matter.

This is similar to the question I was asking earlier about a manual lift-off. If you could gain some altitude and some tangential velocity while "keeping the sun at your back", you should be able to achieve an orbit fairly close to the CSMs.  I just wasn't sure what the minimum functionality of the the automatic systems would have to be to allow that.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #768 on: February 03, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
Buzz Armstrong said they "couldn't see stars on the moon."

Ah yes. My favorite mined quote. If you ever bothered reading non-hoax believer web sites you can read the rest of the quote.

Therefore, you can't get a bearing from a star for navigation. Therefore, you are all stuck on the moon.  The optics were just a telescope.  If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope.

Can you see stars during the day on Earth? Why or why not?

Can you see stars at night on Earth? Why or why not?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #769 on: February 03, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope.  Nobody went anywhere.  End of story.  Sorry.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/aot.htm

If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope. 

That is completely, utterly, demonstrably false.

Clearly you have never looked through a telescope.
Yes I have.  Next?

Next time, take the lens cap off. And remember to look into the little end.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #770 on: February 03, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
Buzz Armstrong said they "couldn't see stars on the moon."  Therefore, you can't get a bearing from a star for navigation.  Therefore, you are all stuck on the moon.  The optics were just a telescope.  If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope.  Nobody went anywhere.  End of story.  Sorry.

Even if you are right about the visibility of the stars (and you aren't) it wouldn't have mattered anyway. They didn't need to have bearings or navigation in order to order to lift off and rendezvous. All they needed was to know WHEN the CSM was passing overhead

And you claim to be an engineer? Anyone with a high school education could point out the schoolboy errors in your statements here.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
My work here is done.

THIS IS MY FINAL TRANSMISSION.

I'm losing count here...is this your third or fourth flounce?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »

Can you see stars during the day on Earth? Why or why not?

Can you see stars at night on Earth? Why or why not?

Actually, you first statement illustrates just how wrong alexsanchez is, because while you cannot normally see stars during the day with the unaided eye, you can with a telescope....

http://sky.velp.info/daystars.php

NOTE:  I say normally because you can actually see Sirius in broad daylight with the unaided eye (I have done so myself) if you know exactly where to look.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »
Obvious troll is obvious.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #774 on: February 03, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »
There has to be another word than troll. It's been bandied around so much it's starting to lose all meaning!

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #775 on: February 03, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
"NASA must have had a less massive version.

Also, I think NASA must have dropped some navigation aids on the lunar surface before they attempted any manned landings."

Alex, what do you think of people who just parrot anonymous third party speculation?
Buzz Armstrong said they "couldn't see stars on the moon."  Therefore, you can't get a bearing from a star for navigation.  Therefore, you are all stuck on the moon.  The optics were just a telescope.  If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope.  Nobody went anywhere.  End of story.  Sorry.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/aot.htm

such a hilarious concept that I nominated it for a Stundie.

And "Buzz Armstrong" again?  Really? 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:53:15 PM by frenat »
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #776 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
NOTE:  I say normally because you can actually see Sirius in broad daylight with the unaided eye (I have done so myself) if you know exactly where to look.

I've noticed this with Mercury.  When the sun is not quite down, and it's still relatively bright, Mercury is obvious, if I look straight at it.  If I don't quite know where to look, it's bloody well impossible :(
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #777 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
such a hilarious concept that I nominated it for a Stundie.

One does rather wonder what telescopes are for then.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #778 on: February 03, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope. 

That is completely, utterly, demonstrably false.

Clearly you have never looked through a telescope.
Yes I have.  Next question.

Then you are deliberately lying.

Next troll.
Calling me a troll hurts my feelings.  But you're stuck on the moon without navigation.  I feel sorry for you.  I really do.  I wish there was some way I could help, but it's a navigation problem.
Only in your twisted mind.   Read the first line of the signature.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #779 on: February 03, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
I feel sorry for you.  I really do.  I wish there was some way I could help, but it's a navigation problem. 

You could help by not returning to this board after you get banned.
My work here is done.

Your work was to be an obvious (from the outset, you really think nobody here didn't know you were a troll?) sock puppet of a mentally imbalanced troll and to make a fool of yourself by proving you have no idea what you're talking about?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:58:02 PM by frenat »