Author Topic: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?  (Read 420683 times)

Offline ProfessorAlfB

• Mercury
Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #840 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
David Percy has been caught many times blatantly lying about the Apollo record.  Therefore his statements cannot be trusted.  If you'd be so kind as to provide an exact reference, your exact claim can be investigated.  Until then, so long as you make only vague references and recollections, you get only vague rebuttals.
Oh, gods, yes.
ProfessorAlfB, David Percy is a liar. There is no way around this. I hate to say this about any human being, but look at this.
He claims the the centre cross hair is off-centre, but compare to this scan. Not only did he extend the top, but, despite claiming to be showing the 'full area', he deliberately cuts off at the bottom as well!

I have not heard that reason for claiming that that particular photo its a fake before...I have heard plenty of others though.

Another example. This video is about one of Bart Sibrel's videos, but the debunking equally applies to the transparency claim Percy makes.

This is video he would have had access too; this is video he would have known about if, as Percy claims, he made a thorough investigation of Apollo material or even a cursory one.

Good detective work but it doesn't prove that everything else in that documentary is lies.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:12:13 AM by ProfessorAlfB »

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #841 on: February 06, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
...At least one of the official Apollo mission photos where a US Astronaut was supposed to be in Space, was clearly taken in a Russian Soyuz spacecraft!

In fact, there are several such photos.  After the moon missions, the US and USSR finally started to work together in space.  They flew a joint mission in 1975 in which an Apollo and a Soyuz spacecraft joined up in space.  Astronauts/cosmonauts transferred from one spacecraft to the other.  Look up Apollo-Soyuz Test Project.

Yes, I know, but doesn't the author of the book in question claim the photo was taken on a earlier Apollo mission?

I don't know what the author claims, though I suspect he's probably misattributing an ASTP photo to an earlier mission.  It might be deliberate or it might be a mistake, but either case is unforgivable given the severity of the accusation.  He's either a liar or a very sloppy researcher.

Offline ProfessorAlfB

• Mercury
« Reply #842 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
Yes, I know, but doesn't the author of the book in question claim the photo was taken on a earlier Apollo mission?
You tell us. The book is available for your perusal on Google Books.

Do you have the link?

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #843 on: February 06, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »
Seriously? Go to Google Books and search for "Dark Moon." ::)
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #844 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
You quoted Raven's link to it in post #840.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:34:15 AM by AtomicDog »
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #845 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
Good detective work but it doesn't prove that everything else in that documentary is lies.

No, but one demonstrable lie of that sort ought to make you consider the rest of his evidence more closely.  Believe me, you will find plenty more.  He is on a list of names which citing will make you laughable.  It proves you didn't do your research if you believe him, Jarrah White, Jack White, Ralph Rene, Bill Kaysing, or Bart Sibrel.  You may note that those are pretty the the prominent names in hoax belief.  That all of them are at best wrong and at worst liars should tell you something about hoax belief.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #846 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
David Percy has been caught many times blatantly lying about the Apollo record.  Therefore his statements cannot be trusted.  If you'd be so kind as to provide an exact reference, your exact claim can be investigated.  Until then, so long as you make only vague references and recollections, you get only vague rebuttals.
Oh, gods, yes.
ProfessorAlfB, David Percy is a liar. There is no way around this. I hate to say this about any human being, but look at this.
He claims the the centre cross hair is off-centre, but compare to this scan. Not only did he extend the top, but, despite claiming to be showing the 'full area', he deliberately cuts off at the bottom as well!

I have not heard that reason for claiming that that particular photo its a fake before...I have heard plenty of others though which still haven't been explained.
Yeah, that's the trouble. There is nothing like a coherent story about how Apollo was faked. Some claim it was Kubrick, others say it was Disney. Some say it was filmed at Area 51, others say Hawaii. I even heard a claim it was filmed on the Canary Island of Lanzarote from a yotuber.
Also, present some of these alleged 'unexplained' photos. I am willing to bet they have actually been explained.
Another example. This video is about one of Bart Sibrel's videos, but the debunking equally applies to the transparency claim Percy makes.

This is video he would have had access too; this is video he would have known about if, as Percy claims, he made a thorough investigation of Apollo material or even a cursory one.

It proves he is willing to lie to try and support his claims. Not just be wrong, he is that often enough, but out and out lie. Also, if two 'professional' conspiracy theorists felt forced to lie to try and explain how the Earth was filmed during Trans Lunar Coast if they were in orbit as claimed by Bart Sibrel, David Percy, and other conspiracy theorists, just how was it done? How was it faked?
Also, still waiting on the photo you claim Percy claims is of Apollo astronauts in a Soviet capsule in orbit before the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, ProfessorAlfB.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #847 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
I have not heard that reason for claiming that that particular photo its a fake before...I have heard plenty of others though.

Red herring.  You have been given examples of David Percy's blatant dishonesty regarding the Apollo record.  On what basis therefore do you trust it for the point you're trying to make?

How many deliberate lies does it take before you stop trusting the people making them?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #848 on: February 06, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
You tell us. The book is available for your perusal on Google Books.

Do you have the link?
I linked to it earlier. In fact, it was in my quote. You had to have seen it since you explicitly refer to "that particular photo" in your reply about Percy's lies.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:27:58 AM by raven »

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #849 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »
Yes, and this disproves your earlier claim that there was no US Soviet cooperation on space exploration during the time of the Apollo missions!

No, it does not. Apollo-Soyuz was a very public, very well-documented case in 1975 of a joint US-Soviet space mission. During the time of the Apollo lunar landings there was no such co-operation. Both sides did their own thing. That's more than well documented.

What evidence have to to prove "His blatant intellectual dishonesty"?  Perhaps he just doesn't want to talk to you because you may have insulted him at some point during or after your invitations?

His blatant intellectual dishonesty is there for all to see. His website had a forum on it until people (not limited to Jay) started using it to question the conclusions drawn by the book and offer support for the reality of Apollo. It had a guestbook there until people started using it to do the same thing. Now the author will not engage in discussion or allow comments to be posted on his site.

Furthermore, a few years ago there was an incident where someone called into question their use of some footage of a Surveyor probe, which they said NASA had claimed was taken during the Apollo 12 descent and landing (Apollo 12 landed near the Surveyor 3 probe). Their argument was that it was impossible for that footage to have been taken by a descending LM, therefore it was evidence that Apollo 12 was faked. Indeed, the footage does appear to have been impossible to obtain from a LM. However. when someone pointed out that the footage was actually from an earlier report on the Surveyor probes and had never been claimed by NASA to have been actually taken by Apollo 12, the authors wrote a long, rambling reply that defended their use of it as proof of Apollo fakery, despite their whole argument being based on the now shown to be false idea that NASA had said the footage was taken from Apollo 12! What else would you classify an inability to admit to error when shown the flaw in the whole premise of an argument?

That's the basis of your claim. It is not our job to check that, it is yours to show it to be so or retract the claim.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #850 on: February 06, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
Alf,

Is your whole reason for coming here to half support some claim you read a while ago in a book from the library that had a photo with some caption on one page or another?  If that is really it, why do you expect to be taken seriously?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #851 on: February 06, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
What public evidence?  If it was so public it shouldn't be hard to find some to back that statement up.

You're seriously asking for evidence that the Apollo program was styled as a race to beat the Soviets to the Moon?  Are you blind?

Do have any evidence to show it has been discredited?

Actually yes, but it's not really a going concern.  See also below.  The only people who still consider the Majestic documents authentic anymore are a very few of the wackier UFO authors.  Even many of the authors who once considered them authentic have now changed their minds.  Among the factual evidence suggesting forgery are the many errors in the Truman document.

However I should back up and concede that the Majestic reference is something of an inadvertent red herring.  There is a version of the Kennedy memo "No. 271" that circulates with the Majestic documents.  It bears some resemblance to the actual memo and contains some of the same language, but has been doctored to include references to UFOs and has some mysterious handwritten annotations.  It is also heavily redacted, which is a technique used by many UFO enthusiasts to suggest that the redacted portions support their claims.

Wrong, it does bear his signature!...See the second page of the memorandum here:
http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/qVncp893wEmJFplIn1AlHA.aspx

Well no, that's not Kennedy's signature.  That's a memo to the file, which is why it has the "S/" annotation rather than a signature.  However the memo itself is an authentic document, and the version you link here is not part of the Majestic documents.  Therefore if that's the version of the memo to which you refer, then my reference to the Majestic documents was a misdirected rebuttal and I withdraw it.

But there may have been a degree of cooperation between the US and Soviets on space exploration soon after the date of the memorandum.

No "may have been" about it.  The Apollo-Soyuz program was a direct result of it, as was the exchange of lunar samples between the Soviet and American scientists.  "A degree of cooperation" does not substantiate your claim that the Soviets flew missions to the Moon in secret cooperation with NASA.  If you argue that a different "degree of cooperation" existed beyond that which the record shows, you bear the burden to prove it.

This would have given the Soviets ample motive to try and hide the fact that the US may have been perpetrating a hoax

Nonsense.  The entire civilized world believed the U.S. had beaten the Soviets to the Moon and the Soviets graciously, but begrudgingly, acknowledged that.  You're telling me they put forth effort under a supposed secret agreement but got no public credit for it.

...It cannot be ruled out.

Shifting the burden of proof.  You have no credible evidence that the Soviets participated actively in Apollo operations.  You may not assert they did and then sit back lazily and expect everyone else to try to prove you wrong.

Yes it had, space has always been governed by the same rules as "international waters".

No, it had not.  It was so governed later as a result of those discussions, but there had been no prior agreement.

"Space," at least in terms of Earth orbit, includes a volume of space above rival nations.  A nation's airspace is considered part of its sovereign territory, as is its territorial waters.  The altitude at which a spacecraft could fly over another nation and not be considered to violate its airspace was a matter of some concern.  Similarly while international waters exist and while space could be considered equivalent to international waters, the law of conquest still applies.  If you, sailing in international waters, first reach unclaimed land, you may claim it as part of your sovereign territory.  Hence there was some question about whether the first person to reach the Moon would be able to claim it as the sovereign territory of his particular nation.

The overflights of Sputnik gave the U.S. some indication that the USSR did not consider Earth orbit to be any nation's sovereign territory and gave rise to orbital surveillance, which is lawful compared to surveillance by covert aircraft.  Only in subsequent negotiations did the U.S. and USSR agree to extend the legal principles of the "high seas" to space, and further to refrain from claiming sovereign territory over the Moon or any other celestial body.

Yes, and this disproves your earlier claim that there was no US Soviet cooperation on space exploration during the time of the Apollo missions!

Your claim is that the photo in question is not from Apollo-Soyuz but from an earlier Apollo mission, ostensibly one that went to the Moon.  Showing that an American astronaut was aboard a Soviet spacecraft at some point in history does not prove that American astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts collaborated on missions to the Moon.

I don't have the book here so no, I can't.

I skimmed the book and found no such photograph or reference.  That doesn't mean it's not there, but it does mean I'm not going to expend any more effort to provide the evidence for your claims.  The onus is on you.

What evidence have to to prove "His blatant intellectual dishonesty"?

My entire web site, which has been up for more than 10 years and is very well known and commonly cited by others to third parties whenever Percy's claims are mentioned.  Do you really know anything about this debate?

Perhaps he just doesn't want to talk to you because you may have insulted him at some point during or after your invitations?

Desperate speculation.

That's what he claims.  And since his claims regarding the Apollo record have proven so disastrously wrong and misrepresentative in the past, we cannot take his word for it.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #852 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
I don't have the book here because it is in my local library, and therefore I would still have to make a trip to my local library to get the book!

The search for Truth is always long and arduous. Many are the fallen in the search for that source of knowledge, the local library.

Seriously, if you're going to argue about a book, you need to have it in front of you. One's memory of what one read can sometimes not be completely accurate.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #853 on: February 06, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »

Do you have the link?

If your investigative "skill set" is so lame that you can't even do a simple google search, then why should anyone here even give you the time of day?

Do your own "homework".

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #854 on: February 06, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
...it doesn't prove that everything else in that documentary is lies.

So when you posted that you like to keep an "open mind", what you meant is that your default assumption is that Percy is not a liar.