Author Topic: Being hit by a car or a bike  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Being hit by a car or a bike
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:52:35 PM »
There is science to be looked at from a discussion I had elsewhere.

I'm thinking of a high street type environment, where cars will not (or at least should not) be doing more than about 30 km/h but an Audi cyclist might be tearing through at the same speed.

A gross simplification compares momentum and/or energy but that's misleading because the car at least won't be stopped by the impact so the entirety of additional momentum and energy won't be transferred to the victim.

The shape of the vehicle is the major issue. Modern cars are designed to be as kind to the cows they catch as possible ( no more of that of that Jaguar ornament and the Mercedes ornament retracts). The victim is supposed to go over the bonnet and perhaps fall off the side. A bike on the other hand presents a rather nasty looking profile to be hit with.

Remember, either vehicle is doing 30 km/h so the car isn't travelling at car-ish speeds.

Which would be most likely to cause more serious injury?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: Being hit by a car or a bike
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
A gross simplification compares momentum and/or energy but that's misleading because the car at least won't be stopped by the impact so the entirety of additional momentum and energy won't be transferred to the victim.
Wouldn't the fact that car doesn't stop mean there would be an even larger transfer of energy and momentum to the victim?

Of course that's only one of the factors in your scenario, and my gut feeling is I'd rather take my chances with the "friendlier" front profile of the car.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Being hit by a car or a bike
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
Wouldn't the fact that car doesn't stop mean there would be an even larger transfer of energy and momentum to the victim?

Of course that's only one of the factors in your scenario, and my gut feeling is I'd rather take my chances with the "friendlier" front profile of the car.

I'd expect the opposite. If the change in speed is small then the energy transferred is small squared.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

I'd expect the opposite. If the change in speed is small then the energy transferred is small squared.
Multiply by mass. 1500 kg vs. 100 kg. for example. If the masses on the other hand, are about equal, they share the energy. Also, a bicycle and -cyclist isn't rigid as a car is, so the collision is drawn out over a longer time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:17:52 PM by Allan F »
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
In the UK about one pedestrian per annum is killed by collision with a cyclist (statistics don't record which one). About 3,000 per year are killed by motor vehicles.

I don't think there are 3,000 cars for every bike on the road...

I also suspect the shape of cars has some optimisation to go - there are some very hard head-shattering bits of engine under that relatively flexible bonnet,,,
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
The windshield is quite a killer too - head injuries.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:39 PM »

It's small times big.

v02-v12=(v0-v1)(v0+v1)

Which is still less than big times big.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »
In the UK about one pedestrian per annum is killed by collision with a cyclist (statistics don't record which one). About 3,000 per year are killed by motor vehicles.

I don't think there are 3,000 cars for every bike on the road...

I also suspect the shape of cars has some optimisation to go - there are some very hard head-shattering bits of engine under that relatively flexible bonnet,,,

True but not entirely relevant since that includes accidents in all situations. This example focuses on a high street where the cars are crawling along but the bike may still be going relatively fast.

I also just checked the stats since your figures sounded unfamiliar. According to DfT, for FY11-12, the number of people killed in "road accidents" was 1,870. That would definitely include occupants of cars in car on car violence and accidents with motor vehicles other than cars.

That's just an FYI. Death is unlikely in either case in the example I posed since one is a car travelling at low speed and the other is a bike. It's more about the level of injury.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:14:16 AM by Glom »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Re: Being hit by a car or a bike
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:58:03 AM »

Multiply by mass. 1500 kg vs. 100 kg. for example. If the masses on the other hand, are about equal, they share the energy. Also, a bicycle and -cyclist isn't rigid as a car is, so the collision is drawn out over a longer time.

My concern is how the components of the bike are a bit more impaling. It's blunt force trauma vs whatever being smacked by a crowbar is.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:37 AM »
If you're hit by the handlebar, it will turn and deflect, not deliver the full force, while the person on top would go flying. The structure is not really able to deliver the force. The most dangerous thing (imho) is if you were hit by the person, not the bike. Getting someone's skull in the face is never a good idea.