Author Topic: Blunder® takes on a Flerf  (Read 23681 times)

Offline TimberWolfAu

• Venus

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Blunder® takes on a Flerf
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2023, 11:07:09 AM »
Keep a record of the conversation live, if possible, as Jarrah MAY erase some of his answers.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2023, 02:41:05 PM »
This is actually quite frightening in its concept. I believe Dara Ó Briain summed it up perfectly in this routine:

The blunder is the one with the string. I do hope Mullane is well prepared like the people who took that other moron Marcus Allen to the cleaners.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2023, 08:46:23 PM »
Keep a record of the conversation live, if possible, as Jarrah WILL erase some of his answers.

FTFY
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:48:14 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2023, 03:55:52 PM »
It's also worth noting who's hosting the show...

Offline beedarko

• Earth

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2023, 02:35:50 AM »
From the link;
Jarrah White is an Australian filmmaker, astrophysicist and geologist. He has Certificate III & IV qualifications with distinctions in Screen and Media at the Sydney Institute of TAFE NSW, Australia; and a BSc with a Major in Geology and a Minor in Astrophysics completed in November 2017 and July 2019 respectively.
Is a person really an astrophysicist if they only have a minor in that field? 

Did he really learn much of anything about film making if he doesn't understand why 1960's tech was not up to the task of faking the moon landings?

He reminds me of Dr. Peter Venkman, who treats science as some kind of dodge or scam.  :)

EDT; The host (moderator?), Danielle Dallas Roosa is the granddaughter of Apollo 14's Stuart Roosa.  I suspect White might use this to accuse her of favoritism if he is made to behave himself and does poorly at the debate.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 02:40:40 AM by Ranb »

Offline TimberWolfAu

• Venus
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2023, 08:23:51 AM »
I'm expecting questions from Jarrah that will be based around tiny details that people these days, even a qualified astronaut, just wouldn't know, and then for him to run with that as a win.

I've actually wondered where he got his BSc from, it wasn't from TAFE NSW, they don't provide a course for a BSc.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2023, 12:55:58 PM »
I'm going with "well you would say that wouldn't you" along with a heavy dose of "compartmentalism" on the side.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2023, 05:16:03 PM »
I've actually wondered where he got his BSc from, it wasn't from TAFE NSW, they don't provide a course for a BSc.

Yeah, I'd like to know that as well; how can we find out? Not saying he'd fake that but just asking questions, ya know....

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2023, 01:52:53 PM »
From the link;
Jarrah White is an Australian filmmaker, astrophysicist and geologist. He has Certificate III & IV qualifications with distinctions in Screen and Media at the Sydney Institute of TAFE NSW, Australia; and a BSc with a Major in Geology and a Minor in Astrophysics completed in November 2017 and July 2019 respectively.
No.  He’s not an astrophysicist.

My undergraduate degree (not a minor) was in space physics.  That doesn’t make me an astrophysicist either.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2023, 04:09:08 PM »
From the link;
No.  He’s not an astrophysicist.

My undergraduate degree (not a minor) was in space physics.  That doesn’t make me an astrophysicist either.
His minor degree actually allows him to proceed into the complex and long educational path to become one. Astrophysicists typically require postgrad qualifications and a good education in astronomy or computing. Reaching 23 credits on a minor degree is not majorly hard especially when the pass rate is 40% for at most 7 modules. It's an achievement, but only the first of many stepping stones.

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2023, 07:45:44 PM »
Thanks.  I suppose the following quote would apply then.  :)
Windu: "You are on this council, but we do not grant you the rank of master."

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2023, 08:01:38 PM »
Very disappointing. Jarrah kept gish galloping, bringing up erroneous claims and there was no-one to refute those claims.

Offline TimberWolfAu

• Venus
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
Just finished watching the debate with Mike Mullane.

Was a pretty non-event in the end, Mike's angle was more along the lines of how human behaviour wouldn't allow such a hoax to remain hidden for all this time, while Jarrah seemed to want to focus more on things he had 'discovered', mainly on radiation, which I wouldn't imagine Mike would be up to date on unless he had looked into both Jarrah's 'findings' and the radiation details from Apollo etc.

Ended up being more of a discussion than a debate and only went for an hour. Was an amusing point where Jarrah was just about to go into his qualifications (as a geologist and astrophysicist) but he got cut off. Would have been interesting to see if Mike considers a BSc sufficient to class someone as either a geologist or astrophysicist (especially when they don't do any work in either field).