Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 862678 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1170 on: January 27, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
I have a whole list of those, such as...

William Safire, whom I read for grammar, not politics, called them "fumblerules."  If you can understand why they're wrong, they're both funny and a good way to show the error.

Safire, in an Apollo context, also wrote the most beautiful, haunting speech never given.  I wonder how many HBs know about it (I didn't until quite recently) and what it does to their perception of Apollo when they find out about it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #1171 on: January 27, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/In_Event_of_Moon_Disaster

Michael Collins read a few lines of this speech in In The Shadow Of The Moon.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #1172 on: January 27, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/In_Event_of_Moon_Disaster

Michael Collins read a few lines of this speech in In The Shadow Of The Moon.

So I guess that will be used as evidence that Apollo 11 failed.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1173 on: January 27, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »
There's an exception to every rule.
...except this one.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1174 on: January 27, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »
I remember a story about what may have been the record number of sentence ending prepositions...

Scenario: A father is going upstairs to read his little girl a bedtime story. He picks up what he thinks is one of her favorite books and heads up to her bedroom. Seeing the book, she winkles her little nose in disapproval and asks...

"What did you bring the book I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"

::)
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #1175 on: January 27, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
I remember a story about what may have been the record number of sentence ending prepositions...

Scenario: A father is going upstairs to read his little girl a bedtime story. He picks up what he thinks is one of her favorite books and heads up to her bedroom. Seeing the book, she winkles her little nose in disapproval and asks...

"What did you bring the book I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"

::)

That's an old one!
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1176 on: January 27, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
They're the thing we're not supposed to end sentences with.

Very good indeed!

I have a whole list of those, such as...

► Splitting infinitives is something to never do.
► By writing carefully, dangling participles can be avoided.
► Avoid using incorrect verbs that have snuck into the language.
► A verb have to agree with its subject.
► Last but not least, avoid clichés like the plague.

I love that list too.
"No sentence fragments."
"Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used."

Eschew obfuscation and espouse elucidation.

edited to fix quotes
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:07:06 PM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1177 on: January 27, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
Don't overuse exclamation points!!!
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #1178 on: January 27, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
"This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put." -- Allegedly Winston Churchill, but very likely not.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline alexsanchez

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1179 on: January 27, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
Someone calling themselves 'Heiwa' has just joined the board. If it's him, perhaps he's come here to discuss his views.

I noted some visitors to my popular web site from Apollohoaxforum so I decided to join. My name is actually Anders Björkman but on Internet forums I am Heiwa. My company is Heiwa Co. A am evidently an engineer and work scientifically using first principles all the time. I am not in conspiracy theories. I just report my observations and calculations and results. If you do not like them, tell me what is wrong with them.

Do not worry. The MONEY is there for anyone, incl. NASA, JPL, SPACEX, ESA, to show that human moon travel is possible, à la Apollo 11 1969. Just copy paste the Apollo 11 NASA data and demonstrate that it really works and the money is yours. IMHO it was a hoax 1969.

Like the 9/11 2001 WTC tower global progressive collapses from top down shown live on five US TV channels. Cannot happen in the real world, i.e. it was another Apollo 11 type hoax. I pay anybody €1M to prove me wrong there too.

You see, I am a generous person. And pls follow the forum rules when replying. Do not shoot at the piano player. Listen to the music and say what's wrong with it.
First of all, why are dissenting views moderated (his and mine)?  That's outright censorship.  Truth does not suffer investigation.  Furthermore it's decidedly Orwellian to use the word "truther" as a derogatory term (I see it a lot.)  What's wrong with seeking the truth?  And I'm a guy who was kicked off one conspiracy forum for being too liberal and proposing the ISS was real!!!

Regarding the million Euro offer, how can someone put up a million Euros when their "company website" is on Tripod?

Offline alexsanchez

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1180 on: January 27, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
"This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put." -- Allegedly Winston Churchill, but very likely not.

Fred
If you come up with a clever phrase, and want it to last forever, attribute it to a famous dead person.

"Don't take refuge behind the false security of consensus." - Christopher Hitchens (for real, I heard him say it on a youtube video.)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1181 on: January 27, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
First of all, why are dissenting views moderated (his and mine)?  That's outright censorship.

It is not the dissenting views that got you and Heiwa onto the moderation list. It's your attitudes and your refusal to follow a few simple rules intended to keep the discussion civil. I try to be fair, Alex, but this forum belongs to me. It's not a public place. I'm not the US government (I'm not even American) so I'm not bound by the US constitution. You're a guest in my home... if you're rude I'll kick you out. If you're polite I'll let you say basically whatever you want.

You'll find a lot of dissenting views on this forum (and the old Proboards forum). I rarely delete posts, and when I do it's not because I disagree with them. In fact conspiracy theorists have deleted more posts from my forum than I have.

Furthermore it's decidedly Orwellian to use the word "truther" as a derogatory term (I see it a lot.)  What's wrong with seeking the truth?

There's nothing wrong with seeking the truth. The problem with truthers is that they ignore any truth that conflicts with their predetermined beliefs. So yes, the term "truther" is derogatory, and they have earned it.

And I'm a guy who was kicked off one conspiracy forum for being too liberal and proposing the ISS was real!!!

Yes, isn't it funny how conspiracy theorists can't all agree on what the truth is?

Regarding the million Euro offer, how can someone put up a million Euros when their "company website" is on Tripod?

Delusions of grandeur aren't illegal.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1182 on: January 27, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Both you and Heiwa are moderated because you were personally insulting and abusive.

Your use of the term "censorship" is laughable.  You are not being censored.  You may say whatever you please - but LunarOrbit is not required to host it.

There is nothing wrong with seeking the truth - perhaps you should try it instead of spreading abuse and falsehood as you have so far?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:57:37 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1183 on: January 27, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
First of all, why are dissenting views moderated (his and mine)?  That's outright censorship.

First of all, why are hoax believers always utterly unable to grasp the simple reasons for being moderated on forums like this one? Your dissenting views are welcome as part of a civil discussion. The reasons for your moderation were explained here:

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=348.msg10697#msg10697

It is getting very tiresome to watch hoax believers like you become rude and insulting, then complain about free speech when held to account for it, and try to suggest it is because your 'dissenting views' don't agree with ours. You're hardly the first to do it. I've been on boards like this for over a decade now, and in all that time I have never seen anyone moderated or banned or censored for believing the moon landings were fake. What they do get moderated for is simply being rude and unable to follow the simple rules of civil discussion.

Furthermore it's decidedly Orwellian to use the word "truther" as a derogatory term (I see it a lot.)  What's wrong with seeking the truth?

Nothing is wrong with seeking the truth. The problem is that people labelled as 'truthers' have already decided what the truth is and reject any evidence that says they are wrong. I have seen people go into screaming fits of rage when challenged to perform a simple experiment they could do in their own home with normal household materials to illustrate why their idea of how something works is wrong. That includes things as simple as 'go outside and look at some shadows'. That's not seeking truth, that's hiding from it.

And I'm a guy who was kicked off one conspiracy forum for being too liberal and proposing the ISS was real!!!

Yeah, funny how the people we call 'truthers' can't seem to even agree on what the truth is, isn't it?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #1184 on: January 27, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
So any chance, alexsanchez, you are going to elaborate on how you established heiwa to be a credible and competent engineer?
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"