Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Questions about suit to suit comms and procedures for landings far off vertical

(1/2) > >>

Allan F:
I was wondering about the suit-to-suit comms system. As I understand it, the LMPs suit voice/telemetry radio was relayed through the commander's suit to the LM or LRV before being transmitted to Earth. If that is correct, then what was the idea behind it? Wouldn't it be simpler to have both suits transmit directly to the LM/LRV for retransmission to Earth? Would they need two separate radios on the LM/LRV for allowing both suits to talk at the same time?

Also, were there any way to right the LM, if they had happened to land with one foot in a divot, and another foot elevated, so they were outside the 15 degrees from vertical, the ascent stage were able to safely handle?

smartcooky:
Dwayne would be the one to ask about that, but as I understand it, the suit comms were operated in duplex mode which mean that two frequencies (we'll call then F1 and F2) were used.
Voice transmissions from the LM to the EV crewmen were on F1, and voice and EMU-data transmissions from the EV crewmen to the LM were on F2.

Interesting point to note is that the ham radio guy (Larry Baysinger, W4EJA) who picked up the lunar tramissions from A11, was receiving the suit radios directly (as evidenced by the absence of quindar tones)

https://soundcloud.com/shannon-hall4/apollo-11-recording

Allan F:
Yes, that was some feat, picking up milliwatt transmissions from that distance.

smartcooky:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on July 31, 2023, 06:12:26 PM ---Dwayne would be the one to ask about that..
--- End quote ---

Sorry, that should be Dwight....... Dwight Steven-Boniecki

bknight:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on August 01, 2023, 02:37:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: smartcooky on July 31, 2023, 06:12:26 PM ---Dwayne would be the one to ask about that..
--- End quote ---

Sorry, that should be Dwight....... Dwight Steven-Boniecki

--- End quote ---

Another great source would be ka9q, if he is still around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version